Paint (minor) scratch removal...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Every once in a great while you run into a product that actually works. For all you car/motorcycle enthusiast out there, I wanted to pass on my experience with Meguiars "scratch-x" product.

Getting my 2002 Honda Magna prepped for riding, I noticed alot of spider-webbing/swirl type scratches on my bike. Having black paint doesn't help, as black shows every minute flaw. Pretty discouraged, I searched the web for a "cure" to this problem when I strumbled onto Scratch-X. What a great product, I followed the directions starting with a small section of my rear fender and viola! Looks like new. I followed up with some Meguiars carnuba and 6 years of wear & tear suddenly disappeared.

If you've got some swirl marks, spider-webbing, or oxidation; give scratch-x a try. Start with minimal pressure and work your way up intil you get the results you need. Great stuff!
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2008
    Works good while it lasts, just wait until it wears off. It doesn't magically "fix" the paint, you'll have to reaply after a few washes.

These products work great for a quick fix, especially when you're ready to sell.;)
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited March 2008
    Similar to that, PlastX from Meguiar's works well if you have faded plastic headlights, windows, etc. and even works well on lightly scratched CD's and DVD's. I used it last night on a buddies Guitar hero disc that kept hanging up on a certain song and after a couple of applications the disc played perfect! I have used the Scratch-X stuff and if you use it and then apply a good wax, the results last a remarkably long time. Definitely not a permanent fix, but it does what it claims.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited March 2008
    I have yet to find a Meguires product that doesn't work, although I haven't tried them all. I use Meguires Sealer and Re-seal glaze (No. 7) to remove swirling, and even larger scratches. It's not a temporary fix, as it actually moves and re-seals the clear-coat.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2008
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Works good while it lasts, just wait until it wears off. It doesn't magically "fix" the paint, you'll have to reaply after a few washes.

These products work great for a quick fix, especially when you're ready to sell.;)

Not true in this case, scratch-X isn't a sealer or fill-in, it's a fine jewelers rouge that actually "cuts" the fine scratching.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    I haven't had real good luck with scratch removers. They tend to be too abrasive and leave fine scratches themselves, although I do have a German car and they are said to use 'soft' paints. I wonder if this would work on my car, which is also black :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2008
    Give it shot, I've got a deep jet black finish on my bike and in sunlight it looks like glass now. Scratch-x didn't cause any scratches, but you have to experiment with the pressure required to get the results you want. It must be a very, very fine rouge, as I was rubbing pretty hard on a few tough spots--it worked.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    I actually had some of this already. I knew I had a Meguiar's scratch remover somewhere. It was in my car care box 'o stuff. I bought it several years ago. I'll have to give it another shot.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    This stuff works amazing on clear turntable dustcovers....:D
  • brijenjas
    brijenjas Posts: 311
    edited March 2008
    I used it on my LSi9's with a buffer to remove some minor scratches from the piano black finish, worked great.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2008
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I haven't had real good luck with scratch removers. They tend to be too abrasive and leave fine scratches themselves, although I do have a German car and they are said to use 'soft' paints. I wonder if this would work on my car, which is also black :rolleyes:

I used to use Scratch-X on my 330i (medium blue) and have used it on the wife's new Jetta (Dark Blue) with zero side effects. I also just buffed a scuff out of the old man's Mercedes E320 CDI (black) and could not see any marks left behind. I would just recommend trying it on an inconspicuous spot.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,