My new Home Theater project

dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,067
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Just here to show off some pics of a home theater I designed and built as part of a fixer-upper home remodel. I had the opportunity to put all cabling in-wall and design a cabinet to house the equipment and screen. I gave our kitchen cabinet guy the specs and dimensions for the cabinet and had him build it. You can check out the pics at the link in my signature. Thanks for looking!

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
Post edited by dpowell on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    Very nice!Did you build the oak cabinetry yourself?I like the way you incoporated the screen into it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dpowell
    edited March 2008
    Thanks! I didn't want to see the ugly screen housing as I did at my last house. I had the guy that built our kitchen cabinets build it. It actually comes apart in 7 pieces so that it goes with me when I move sometime down the road. :)

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    dpowell wrote: »
    I had the guy that built our kitchen cabinets build it.
    Doh Sorry you explained that in the first post but somehow I missed it.:confused:Any way it looks awesome.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited March 2008
    I likes. Only thing is you may be limited to screen size with it. Not sure though, seems to disappear in the dark room, so thats cool. Nice install.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2008
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    Thats how mine will look someday!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2008
    Beautiful job!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dpowell
    edited March 2008
    Sherardp wrote: »
    I likes. Only thing is you may be limited to screen size with it. Not sure though, seems to disappear in the dark room, so thats cool. Nice install.

You're correct about the limitation. I designed it around the screen I already owned so if I want to go bigger, I'm out of luck. Right now in 16:9 mode, diagonal screen size is 108 inches.

One other thing I had to consider when designing the dimensions was that I needed adequate breathing room on each side of the cabinet for the all-important Polks.

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2008
    What was the rough cost on building/assembling that thing?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited March 2008
    Very nice. What are the room dimensions?

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • dpowell
    edited March 2008
    brettw22 wrote: »
    What was the rough cost on building/assembling that thing?

Total cost on the cabinet (design, build, install and finish) was about $2,300. It's solid oak with plywood backing. The screen and switch cost me $21. Cabling and wall jacks were probably another $400.

• dpowell
    edited March 2008
    cubdog wrote: »
    Very nice. What are the room dimensions?

cubdog

The room is 19' x 18' x 8'. The cabinet is on the 19' wall.

The cabinet is 12' exactly in width. Each side cabinet is 24" (plenty of air circulation for the components) leaving a 96" opening for the screen.

• Sherardp
    edited March 2008
    The room is 19' x 18' x 8'. The cabinet is on the 19' wall.

The cabinet is 12' exactly in width. Each side cabinet is 24" (plenty of air circulation for the components) leaving a 96" opening for the screen.

Nice size room, I will be moving into my dedicated room in less than 2 months. room is 15x22. Screen is 126 inch, what PJ are you using? I went with the JVC HD1. Again nice cabinet though, 108 inch screen is plenty big still.

• dpowell
    edited March 2008
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Nice size room, I will be moving into my dedicated room in less than 2 months. room is 15x22. Screen is 126 inch, what PJ are you using? I went with the JVC HD1. Again nice cabinet though, 108 inch screen is plenty big still.

126" is amazing and the HD1 looks like a killer projector. It's nice that it offers two hdmi inputs in the back.

I went with the Mitsubishi HC1500 based on the reviews at projector central for projectors in my price range. I wanted to step into the world of HD but wasn't willing to pay the price for 1080p just yet (plus I still need to add a Blu Ray player and a new subwoofer).:D

It's my first time going with DLP vs the LCD units I've had in the past. It's got a fantastic picture for the price and by the time I burn the bulb out, I hope 1080 projectors will have dropped some more in price.

• Sherardp
    edited March 2008
    126" is amazing and the HD1 looks like a killer projector. It's nice that it offers two hdmi inputs in the back.

I went with the Mitsubishi HC1500 based on the reviews at projector central for projectors in my price range. I wanted to step into the world of HD but wasn't willing to pay the price for 1080p just yet (plus I still need to add a Blu Ray player and a new subwoofer).:D

It's my first time going with DLP vs the LCD units I've had in the past. It's got a fantastic picture for the price and by the time I burn the bulb out, I hope 1080 projectors will have dropped some more in price.

Oh must definitely, the Sanyo, Epson, Panny, are all in the low 2k price range.