Can we say a little sidewind......

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
I bet this guy needed a change of underwear....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z42fchrzhHY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z42fchrzhHY&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    And I thought cross winds on the drag strip were dangerous.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited March 2008
    Achtung, scheissen...........
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    BAD ASP wrote: »
    Achtung, scheitssen...........

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited March 2008
    My worst flight experience was landing in a bad crosswind at Atlanta. Not anything like these folks went through, but my knuckles were white as ivory from grabbing the seat and people were crying out and gasping. Only took a few seconds to get straightened up, but it felt like an eternity.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited March 2008
    And I thought MacArthur airport was bad in NY with its never ending 20-30 mph cross winds

I wonder what it was like to be in the left hand window seat looking at the entire runway just before landing.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    I am SOOOOOOOOOOO glad I don't fly! 'F' that!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    Wooooow! That's insane! I had NO idea that could happen.

How the heck are you supposed to land with that kind of wind???
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2008
    A lot of these new airliners have an "Auto-Land" feature which basically lands the airplane for you. But not in cross-winds like that. He was getting paid good for the last bunch of years and this morning he earned it.

I've been stuck in the Azores for days cause the cross-winds were so bad we couldn't get out of there. I've been in an airplane that scraped an outboard engine pod, but not a wingtip.

Those guys that fly Azores inter-island flights in twin turbo-prop bug smashers earn their freakin' salary every day. You should see those guys on final in a hefty cross. The airplanes go sideways with the wingtips perpindicular to the ground in both directions, and then they pull the landings out of their asses in the last hundred feet. Magnificent. Passengers probably puking their brains out the whole time once the domino effect takes hold.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    I thought for sure he was going to touch his wing tip down, but he saved it - amazing recovery, although it looks like he went for a go-around at the end there...
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty used to flying, but had a problem with wind once landing in Chicago and thought I was gonna lose my lunch breakfast, and even last night's dinner.........few german dudes were laughing at me and i was doing everything I could not to paint the cabin.............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    This vid got me to looking at some other plane landing videos on youtube, and this one looks like it'd be a little rough!

:eek:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPY1cSvUioY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPY1cSvUioY&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    The pilot was doing everything pretty much by the book until the gust of wind caught him as he straightened it up to put the gear down. Very lucky they didn't damage the landing gear. As my buddy the ex-United pilot said, at the point of that last gust of wind, nothing in the flight simulator drills is much of a help. I think his exact words were something like "F$ck the manuals, push the throttles to full military, and pray" :eek:

My worst flight to date is last year, Orlando to Washington DC, we flew through some fierce high altitude storms. The pilot was doing everything he could to find smooth air. Finally he came on said that we could either turn around and fly back through the same crap we just came through, or continue on to DC. He thanked us all for agreeing with him to keep going. As I was getting off the plane in DC, and not sure whether to kiss the pilot or the ground, I heard the flight attendent tell someone over the phone that they needed 42 new seat cushions (this is absolutely true!)
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC