MacLeod, need your advice

Billy J
Billy J Posts: 9
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
MacLeod,

Me and my son are putting a new system in his 1968 Mustang Coupe. I'm going to put a couple of 2124 subs in the trunk in sealed custom boxes. I have been looking at hundreds of sub installation pictures on the internet to get some insight on how to lay out the sub boxes and amps in the trunk. I have seen the subs facing up, toward each other, toward the back of trunk, and even angled toward the back of the trunk. My son listens to hard rock and classic rock music, and we was wanting to get the most kick out of the sealed boxes. I was going to build the boxes at Polks recommended .88 cu/ft.
I have a couple questions for you. Do you build your sealed boxes to Polks recommended cu/ft. And what direction do you think the speakers should face. I have had some people tell me to face them toward the back of the trunk, and others say that facing them toward each other cancels the subs out on each other. Some say facing them up toward the rear deck will not give you the bass you are looking for. I'm more confused now than when I started asking questions.
Any insight that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Billy
Post edited by Billy J on

Comments

• Billy J
    edited March 2008
    Sorry I put this in the wrong section.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    For that type of music, I would build them to Polk's specs and face them towards the rear of the car.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited March 2008
    ^^^ what he said.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited March 2008
    I agree I tried both ways and facing toward the back was far better sounding.
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    To Cody you should listen. Wise he is.

Firing the subs into the cab can cause a lot of cancellation. The forward wave will be canceled out by the back wave that is bouncing off the trunk and reflecting back into the cab but out of phase with the front wave - i.e. cancellation - i.e. bad.

And trust in Polk engineers. They know what works best for their subs.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Billy J
    edited March 2008
    Thanks guys, This gives me a starting point. Thank you all for your help.

Billy
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    To Cody you should listen. Wise he is.

Firing the subs into the cab can cause a lot of cancellation. The forward wave will be canceled out by the back wave that is bouncing off the trunk and reflecting back into the cab but out of phase with the front wave - i.e. cancellation - i.e. bad.

And trust in Polk engineers. They know what works best for their subs.

Im surprised anyone asks you anything about how to build boxes:p
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    Just because I may not know how many sides a box has, doesnt mean I dont know which direction to point the noisy end. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D