IP Address Conflict

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
My computer constantly gives me the following message:

"Windows - System Error. There is an IP address conflict with another system on your network."

I only have two computers on my network, both of which are hardwired. I use a Linksys router, if that matters.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    Try windows update? Just a sugggestion.:o
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2008
    start menu->run
    type in "cmd" ->
    ipconfig /release
    then
    ipconfig /renew
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    If you know how (or have the manual), log in to your router and make sure DHCP is turned on.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    Use a static IP addy.

Under NETWORK CONNECTIONS right click the connection you want "Wireless", or "LAN"

Choose PROPERTIES from the drop menu.

Right click (TCP/IP) and choose to manually assign an IP to each. If you have other networked hardware, space the IP numbers further apart, and if not, type in:

192.168.1.101 for Comp1

Lather, rinse, repeat on the other box:
    192.168.1.103 for Comp2

This is assuming the Linksys is from factory: 192.168.1.1

If that doesn't do it, use the above linksys adress in your browser window which will open the Linksys GUI. You should factory reset to make sure it's not your router.

Now that I think of it, you may want to try that ^^^^ first. With only two boxes, you really shouldn't have a conflict if they are both set to automatically get an IP via DHCP
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited March 2008
    DHCP is nice, but with only two computers that shouldn't be an issue.

One thing to check: do you have wireless enabled? Are you using a static IP address? If someone is leeching off your wifi and has their address assigned via DHCP, and your computer is using a static address, you would get an error similar to that.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Early B.
    edited March 2008
    OK, I did what MKZ said.

SK -- I also did what you said and first checked my Linksys address. It was OK. Then I tried to manually set the IP address and for some reason, couldn't get on-line. I switched to back to automatic and I'm on-line again.

I'll let you guys know soon enough if the problem is fixed.

Thanks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Early B.
    edited March 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Both computers must be both using the same static IP

Will that occur even if both computers are set to automatic?

• Early B.
    edited March 2008
    Nevermind.

I think I figured out the problem. I'll report back in a few...

• SKsolutions
    edited March 2008
    If you go static, I think you have to disable the router as a DHCP server to the boxes. The internet will still work via dynamic host with its DNS, but your boxes will be assigned.

I think it's this box in Server Settings
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited March 2008
    If you go static, I think you have to disable the router as a DHCP server to the boxes. The internet will still work via dynamic host with its DNS, but your boxes will be assigned.

I think it's this box in Server Settings

No need to disable DHCP. I run my development server statically and have the rest of my machines get their IPs via DHCP.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • SKsolutions
    edited March 2008
    ^^ I've had issues where the static IP will work on the LAN, but won't get 'out', without disabling the router as a DHCP server, as Early was experiencing. It never bugged me enough to find out why. I don't want to derail, but if you have info and would PM, that would be appreciated.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • SKsolutions
    edited March 2008
    I guess this is pointless if he can't see it:rolleyes:
    I hope the router didn't brick during reset:eek:
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited March 2008
    I recently decided to switch over from static IPs to DHCP on my home network. I switched all the computers to get IP automatically, and then the router to DHCP... I got lots of errors after turning on the DHCP on the router, so I cycled the power on the router and all cleared up. I run the server static and the clients DHCP - no problems.
  • SKsolutions
    edited March 2008
    ^^ I'll translate that to smoke signals. . . .so he can see it.

Puff....Puff...(exhaling the letter E)

This may take a while:D
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Early B.
    edited March 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Early may have to release and renew his ip's on both computers.

Early,

make sure that your router's DHCP is set to ON.
    Also make sure that both computers are set to obtain their IP's automatically.
    Make sure that the DNS section in TCP/IP properties is also set to obtain automattically.
    then go to computer #1's start menu and click on run, in the run field type out cmd and hit enter

you'll be in a black dos screen.

type out:
    ipconfig /release (hit enter)
    then type out
    ipconfig /renew (hit enter)

Do this on both machines and they should pick up different addresses.

when you are done try the following at a dos prompt:
    ping www.google.com (hit enter)

Sal

I did all of this, and the problem persists.

• avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    My computer constantly gives me the following message:

"Windows - System Error. There is an IP address conflict with another system on your network."

I only have two computers on my network, both of which are hardwired. I use a Linksys router, if that matters.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Early are you using the same port with the computers? Or are they hard wired in separate parts of the house? Because if you are using an RJ-45 splitter like this...11131.jpg

Then I can guarantee you that is where your problem lies.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Early B.
    edited March 2008
    Early are you using the same port with the computers? Or are they hard wired in separate parts of the house? Because if you are using an RJ-45 splitter like this...11131.jpg

Then I can guarantee you that is where your problem lies.

Nope. Different ports; different part of the house.

• Early B.
    edited March 2008
    I should add that the error message pops up and it's annoying, but I don't think it's affecting the performance of my system. It seems to be working OK. Nevertheless, I prfer to handle the IP conflict, if possible.

• SKsolutions
    edited March 2008
    I hope you can track it down, and it drives me batshit when it's my net, so I can relate.
    -Set each box to get an address automatically (see above)
    -Shut down each box
    -Reset the router with the red button in the back. Hold it till the thing starts blinking or stops blinking. Don't power it down while you do this, or you will 'brick' the router.

-Turn on one box at a time, wait for internet access before lighting up the other.

You can see if the router has assigned two different addresses by typing 192.168.1.1 into your address bar at the top of the browser window. The default passwords are 'admin', then 'admin' or 'user', then 'admin'. Under the Status tab, choose Local Network, then click DHCP Client Table. You should see every address that the router gave out to the network, and the computer 'names' next to each address, so there should be two addys if both computers are on, and are working properly. If both are visible, the router is probably OK. If there is one missing, the net adapter of the missing box is probably the culprit. Easiest way to find out, is to borrow a router from a neighbor, and see if it fixes the problem. You would at least know where to start. If the problem continues with the temp router, you need fix the issue at the computer causing it. There are log files in the Administrative section of the control panel that may lead you to the hiccup. You would see something with DHCP in the error, which is common, but in your case persistent.
    If it's a box, it could also be packet scheduling or something. Try restoring, or the backup and repair install route.
    -Ignorance is strength -