Baseball Glove Break In

daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,207
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Just as we need to break in our cables and wires we need to break in our mitts. Anyone done this lately? I've read about using shaving cream and other oils. Suggestions?

Y'all can keep your love oil suggestions to yourselves. Those have their place;)
Post edited by daboyz on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    I usually warm it up in the oven, shaving creme or mink oil, toss a ball in the pocket and wrap with rubber bands or string it shut.....oven again, repeat one more time.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 574
    edited March 2008
    I've always used glove oil to oil the glove, then put a baseball in the pocket and wrap with a couple rubber bands. The next day, the glove is much softer. It should break in pretty nicely after a couple of throwing sessions.
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Marantz SR7012 Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15 Subs: 2 SVS Sb13 Ultra (HT Only) Analysis Plus Cables
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited March 2008
    i've always used baby oil on mine. oil it once..work in the glove welll..then oven it...repeat oil and work-in and wrap it with rubber bands with a ball in the pocket.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    Leather is leather, there's no way it's going to get softer. . . nimrods.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited March 2008
    I used to use "saddle soap" back in the day. Work the pocket real good and put a ball in it overnight.

I can't imagine putting a glove in the oven as I would think it would dry it out. Maybe it's the new way but it sounds bad to me. Of course I'm old so what the hell do I know.
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Leather is leather, there's no way it's going to get softer. . . nimrods.

You must've been the kid that got laughed at in gym class.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    Tie a ball tight inside the glove, throw it around, hard against the concrete, etc. Beat the tar out of it.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jimi64
    jimi64 Posts: 85
    edited March 2008
    Work into the leather the oil of your choice(Baby oil-olive oil-etc)put a ball in the mit-fold it to where you want it-put it between the mattress and bed spring overnight and repeat for about a week.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    You must've been the kid that got laughed at in gym class.

Any you were Corky playing dodgeball with lawndarts?

No, an athlete then, not so much now. The prior post was a joke about cables, but that brings me to you, and let's face it, what doesn't. Can you come over?
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Any you were Corky playing dodgeball with lawndarts?

No, an athlete then, not so much now. The prior post was a joke about cables, but that brings me to you, and let's face it, what doesn't. Can you come over?

LOL :D
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008

The prior post was a joke about cables

That's what smilies are for. Who's supposed to know that was a joke? :rolleyes: I was about to dis you too. :D

I remember using boot grease when I was a kid. Then tying the glove with the ball inside. Nothing like actual use though.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    Use some pink noise

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    Just re-oiled my glove last month. It's already broken in since it's about 16 years old.

BTW, can you smell it? Spring Training is in the air! Freshly mowed fields and the crack of the bat! Baseball season is coming!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited March 2008
    Mink oil, a ball in the web and a belt wrapped around to keep it snug. Flip it over repeat. I usually do each twice and it's good to go.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited March 2008
    I used to throw a ball in a glove, rubberband the hell out of it then abuse it. No outside lubricants needed.

My brother was a catcher, when he got a new glove it did require lube. Trying to catch a ball with a new catchers mit is a pain in the ****.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    Well, here's what you oughta do
    daboyz wrote: »
    Y'all can keep your love oil suggestions to yourselves. Those have their place;)

.......oh. :rolleyes:

In that case, oil the holy snot out of the glove, put a ball up in the pocket, and rubber band the heck out of it.

Put it on the ground and pound the hell out of it with a bat; put it up for a couple of days, and repeat about a dozen times.

Works.
    Sal Palooza