HotRodding an old PSW50??

Options
FAU5TU5
FAU5TU5 Posts: 5
edited March 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Anyone have experience recommendations on how to use older sub boxes (for instance my PSW50 which lets be honest is far from a "performer" especially in the modern HTsub era) and fitting them with different equiptment (amp/controls/sub) to get better performance without having to plonk down 1-2k for a really nice unit?

First off, I realize that being an 8" sub that I just might never be able to come close to 10"-12" quality, but at least I was thinking that one could get ahold of a much higher performance 8"er and a better amp, especially 2nd hand and get a much nicer little sub.

I know plenty of DIYers simply build their own boxes (like for cars) and go that way.. but I dont really want to do that. Gutting and installing, I can handle.. +it would still look nice.

Let me know of any suggestions or advice... (even if that advice is; HEADACHE.... STOP THINKING ABOUT IT"

Thx
Post edited by FAU5TU5 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Assuming you can find a driver with specs that suit the box, you can always modify port length(s) if needed. Have fun with it. Lots of GREAT 8 inch drivers out there right now, what kind of budget are you looking at?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2008
    Options
    What about a Polk db or Momo? That would be neat. Look up the requirements in the product pages.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Great idea mark, and both are well suited for the bandpass enclosure that the PSW50 had.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.