3 days in NY; What to do?

Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
So the wife convinced me to go to NY in Easter; her sister is coming up from Venezuela and she wants to meet her up there.
I spent a weekend in NY City 30 years ago and that was enough for me, but it will be a good opportunity for the wife and kids to see the big city.

We will probably stay accross the river in NJ, since I don't want to spend 300+ a night, and there's very little availability for those days.

I know there's a lot of polkies in the area and I'd love to meet some of you guys, but this time it will be a no laptop, no Polk forum (no Polkies) time; just family.

So what to do? I was thinking on taking some of those open bus tours that take you to the main interest points, a harbor cruise, we also want to go to Long Island, see East Hampton, etc.

Any recommendations on what to do and not to do?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    Don't worry about seeing Polkies....they aren't going anywhere. NYC stinks.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2008
    Definitely take the cruise along Hudson.
  • margate21
    margate21 Posts: 105
    edited March 2008
    i would get broadway show tickets, walk around central park, all the usual -statue of liberty, museums (amnh.org). nycvisit.com if the kids are young enough most like to visit dylans candy store. on 60th and 3rd. hope this helps.
    Home Theater
    lsi 15's, lsi c, lsi f/x
    onkyo 805
    sunfire tga 5200
    toshiba - xa2
    panasonic bd30
    sony kdl40v2500
    svs sb12+
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2008
    3 days in NY; What to do?

Hookers and blow.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2008
    TroyD wrote: »
    Hookers and blow.

BDT

I'm sure the wife will love that.

Keep them coming.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2008
    the Waterway ferry cruise around Manhatten island is a nice way to spend 3 hours. Make sure you visit South Street Seaport as well
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    Take a swim in the Hudson.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited March 2008
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    the Waterway ferry cruise around Manhatten island is a nice way to spend 3 hours. Make sure you visit South Street Seaport as well

Agreed. I've been on the Waterway many times and still enjoy it to this day. But the funny thing is, being from NYC, the "wow" factor has kind of wore away and its' just another place to live/work/etc.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Ricardo, when is easter this year?, I will give you a guided tour of the NYC area ;)

Sal

Thanks Sal; I'll take up your offer if/when I go on my own.

With three teenagers, wife and sister in law you would end hating me ;)

I found this that seems pretty complete:

http://www.citysightsny.com/new/SNY_super_new_york_tour.html

SOPA
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2008
    On the way out to The Island, go through Brooklyn and get a hot dog or two at Nathans/Coney Island, and go to Spumoni Gardens for some pizza. It's on 86th St near Stillwell Ave.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited March 2008
    Ricardo wrote: »
    We will probably stay accross the river in NJ, since I don't want to spend 300+ a night, and there's very little availability for those days.

I stayed in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ about 10 years ago. It was nice and quiet back then. The rates were ~$90 a night. There was also a bus direct to the Port Authority Terminal in Manhatten about a block away for a couple of dollars a day.

As for what to do, I second Fireman32. The cruise wasn't bad at all, and I took time to check out the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island as well.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    visit ground zero where the twin towers used to stand. :(
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    Definately find the pizza joints-the real ones! One of the few things I miss about living up north, is REAL pizza.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited March 2008
    go see les paul!:cool: i saw him last may. well worth it! he's 92 or 3. so, if you have the chance, do it!
  • CAvolleyballguy
    CAvolleyballguy Posts: 156
    edited March 2008
    omg, dont get me started on the food. i moved from there last year.. I miss the food.

Im a large man ricardo I can point you in the right direction for food.
    If you and the wife can get away for 1 dinner... Go to Uncle Jacks steak house 440 ninth ave 866-345-3209, it's pricey but probably my second favorite place in the country. (prime 112 in south beach is my favorite)

also.. if you decide to stay in NJ. Ask Lasareath where to eat in Jersey City... some of the best food there.
    if you are feeling daring... take the whole family to NEWARK NJ (what!) yeah that's right I said it. There is a very nice community called the Ironbound Section, it is a portuguesse section and the restaurants there are AWESOME, that section is nice and safe and there is easy hiway access to and from that area. You can eat like a king and the whole dinner for 5 people wont be over 100 bucks unless you go crazy with wine (sangria). Casa Vasca and the ADEGA GRILL are my favorite. if you take the family to the Adega Grill be sure to excuse yourself and walk through to the bar area for just 1 minute. The owner likes to higher very sexy young women who wear tight black spandex behind the bar... I used to go there everyday for lunch and sit at the bar and have a bowl of soup. It's The best 5 dollar show on the planet. But the restaurant next door is very classy, so not to worry. If I were you.. I would go to adega grill.. show the family a neat place... if the idea of newark scares you, you can go for lunch, its about a 5 minute drive from the airport.

feel free to PM me for any questions or suggestions.
    Rti10 front, csi5, Rti6 surrounds, PSW505, B&K200.7s2, Onkyo705.
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2008
    omg, dont get me started on the food. i moved from there last year.. I miss the food.

Im a large man ricardo I can point you in the right direction for food.
    If you and the wife can get away for 1 dinner... Go to Uncle Jacks steak house 440 ninth ave 866-345-3209, it's pricey but probably my second favorite place in the country. (prime 112 in south beach is my favorite)

also.. if you decide to stay in NJ. Ask Lasareath where to eat in Jersey City... some of the best food there.
    if you are feeling daring... take the whole family to NEWARK NJ (what!) yeah that's right I said it. There is a very nice community called the Ironbound Section, it is a portuguesse section and the restaurants there are AWESOME, that section is nice and safe and there is easy hiway access to and from that area. You can eat like a king and the whole dinner for 5 people wont be over 100 bucks unless you go crazy with wine (sangria). Casa Vasca and the ADEGA GRILL are my favorite. if you take the family to the Adega Grill be sure to excuse yourself and walk through to the bar area for just 1 minute. The owner likes to higher very sexy young women who wear tight black spandex behind the bar... I used to go there everyday for lunch and sit at the bar and have a bowl of soup. It's The best 5 dollar show on the planet. But the restaurant next door is very classy, so not to worry. If I were you.. I would go to adega grill.. show the family a neat place... if the idea of newark scares you, you can go for lunch, its about a 5 minute drive from the airport.

feel free to PM me for any questions or suggestions.

+1^. Food . There's not much in Ohio.
    Try http://www.beaconnyc.com/index2.htm Spanish, Asian, etc..
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    Drink till your **** fall off
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited March 2008
    Fireman32 wrote: »

I second or third this suggestion. Depending on the weather of course. Go to dinner at the "Palm" steakhouse. I like the one at 250 West 50th St. Only a block or so from Times Square. Have dinner, walk the Street or vice versa. Look Here
    Carl

• Ricardo
    edited March 2008
    Hot Dogs at Nathans: check.
    Pizza at Spumoni Gardens: check
    Dinner at Adega Grill: check
    Uncle Jacks & Beacon: Those sound like great places...but if we want to eat all three days we'll better stay away :)

SOPA
  • movtarget
    movtarget Posts: 125
    edited March 2008
    I visited there this past October for the first time in 30 plus years. Went to ground zero. There's a Burger King on the southeast? corner where the second floor dining area see's over the construction fence. Just downhill/down the street from there is a tribute wall to FDNY.

Absolute best thing was after 'experiencing' the city, on my last day my plane headed out hours after my staff's plane did, so I went wandering. I finally got what Central Park was all about. not just an outstanding park, in both size and scope, but an extraordinary vision of those that said 'let's preserve this $$$ valued real estate right in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world.'

I could do without ever going to NY city again, but if I had a trip planned there, I would plan some significant time to wander the park (in the daylight, of course).

You could also irritate the fool out of Rupert G and have your picture taken with him (I at least bought a soda). He probably hates David Letterman by now.

Movtarget
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited March 2008
    Great sounds and great food here: http://www.bluenotejazz.com
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2008
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Great sounds and great food here: http://www.bluenotejazz.com

Need to change the trip dates; DIANE SCHUUR will be there on March 7-8-9

Damn.

SOPA
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited March 2008
    Go for it Ricardo, there really isn't a bad seat in the house at the Blue Note. Very intimate and cozy setting. Get there early before the show and sit down for a nice meal.

If you're staying in N.J. I suggest you take the train in, or bus or anything except the car. I did go by car, a Windstar actually, and I paid $60 to park across the street from the Blue Note.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, well....we can't change the dates; but Spyro Gyra will be there on the 25th; We are supposed to head back that day, but maybe we can extend the trip until the 26th. Added to the list.

SOPA
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited March 2008
    If you're staying anywhere near Hoboken and like authentic Cajun food, there used to be a place valled Oddfellow's Cafe. It is still on my top 5 favorite places to eat all time. My wife and I lived there for three years and miss everything but the traffic!

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited March 2008
    Need to change the trip dates; DIANE SCHUUR will be there on March 7-8-9

Damn.

blue Notes are for tourists tho.....locals never go there...it's people loud and expensive....I usually go across the street and visit **** cat...it's not jazz but much cheaper and better music....also Wall st is 10 min from there too(it's just a street IMO)
    Go china town and take a walk...you will be amazed to find so many craps coming from china....for authentic chinese food, visit hop kee best chinese food at great prices(IMO)...all these are within 10 min from taxi and should be no problem for one day...I once saw Bill Clinton across hop kee...
    only see good musicals and stay near time square,rock. plaza for one day.....
    keep chelsea pier and central park in mind when staying as well...
    stay in NJ and take a mass transit to NY....cheap and better hotels...
    can't write all the places in NYC but these are good places to be....
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited March 2008
    If you find a good place in NJ that's nice, inexpensive, and accessible to NYC, please let me know as we're headed out there in a month or so. I've got NYC coveered, but if I can save a chunk of change by staying in NJ and it's safe and accessible then I'm all for it.
  • Ricardo
    edited March 2008
    I think we will stay here:

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=QAPNUQYBKSHUOCSGBJF222Q?ctyhocn=SCMNJHX

4-5 miles from Manhattan, buses and train

SOPA
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited March 2008

And, directly across the street (highway) from Giant's Stadium. :D
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2008
    I don't know if it is still happening and fashionable but, during the late 60's and early 70's every Sunday morning was the official gathering of the Creme De La Creme of New York area freaks at Bethesda Fountain in Central Park.

Considering some of the social taboos that have fallen by the wayside since the late 60's and early 70's, if this gathering is in fact still happening on a weekly basis, it could possibly be one of the great FREE, people research field trips of all-time. In light of those same fallen taboos, I might wear body armor, or at the very least some kind of outfit made out of raincoats or Goodyear vulcanized rubber sheeting so that I didn't get "anything on me" while researching. I can't BEGIN to tell you the things I witnessed live and in person there back then, so today must be totally free-style.

Anybody can go to the tourist traps(definitely go to Nathans). Dare to be different.

Edited to say I think goggles wouldn't be a bad idea either. Don't worry about looking strange wrapped in plastic wearing goggles. You won't get a second glance.