Dayton 1000 HPSA hum WTH ! Got any ideas

Options
Deadof_knight
Deadof_knight Posts: 980
edited March 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
:D OK I just got back from my business trip to Gadsden and started hooking up my new Dayton 1000 and I was reading the hum warning in the maunual , and I was like yea right my system is not gonna hum Ive done my homework on cable routing , and quality stuff.

So now WTH I turned it on and SHAZAM it freaking hums you know when there isnt any material playing like inbewtween track and soft spots.

So what am I supposed to do run a ground to it an back to the main receiver ? I havent had that kinda noise in my home stuff before... and its the only thing that does it ? Hey Ben 62670 you got one of these dont you ?
:cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
Post edited by Deadof_knight on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Did you remove the cable TV input to see if that cleared it up?If so PE sells an isolator for this purpose.Otherwise the usual recommendation is to use a cheater plug that leaves the ground pin unconnected.However this is not ideal as it removes the safety ground from the unit.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2008
    Options
    I will take a look and try both out

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited March 2008
    Options
    Yeah, I had the same issue with the same amp. It took me a while to tame it.

For some reason, this amp is very sensitive to power cords. I tried several power cords/cheater plug combos and ended up using a standard power cord with the ground pin broken off. It's plugged into a Tripplite power conditioner -- one of those little two-outlet things that plug directly into the wall.

Also, check all of the other cords on the same circuit and make sure they are grounded properly. Mine was picking up noise from an improperly grounded preamp on the other side of the room. The woofer still pops a little bit when powering off, but the annoying hum has been reduced to a wimpy whirl.

BTW -- it's a helluva amp. Exceptionally clean sound quality for a plate amp.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Deadof_knight
    edited March 2008
    Options
    OK its at a acceptable amount now. 3 pin ground off. The only thing on that circuit is my Velodyne 15" Man it took on my 10's and 18' that baby has balls havent finished it all yet just had an inch to give it a try. Im reinforcing the box and going finish it with black woodgrain formica. Gorilla glue and 3/4 mdf its comming along quiet well.