WAR!!! SR104 versus SR124 Bring it On!!!!

Polkemon
Polkemon Posts: 144
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok I am sure this has been done before but now that the sub has been out for sometime lets get some good thoughts on these two models from owners to help others with purchasing.

How is the 10" versus the 12" when it comes to fast response and tight punch. Is one better than the other for this? Does it feel like you are being kicked by a mule?

These versus other brands that have been changed out for these and what was the other brand. Was it better or worse and in what areas.

Distoration at loud volumes?

Type of box and size?

Feel free to post any extra thoughts on these that have not been asked.
NEWEST RIDE:
2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
Supercharger Pully Upgrade
Air Intake
Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
Front Doors POLK sr6500
Amp front JL 450/4
Amp Sub JL 500/1
Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
Post edited by Polkemon on

Comments

• Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited March 2008
    go with the biggest size sub you can fit assuming ofcourse everything gets proper install, tuning, box space, etc.

Fast and tight as been proven to not have anything to do with the size of a well built sub :). Infact I've even seen some people using 18s for their full-on SQ setups :)
  • br85
    br85 Posts: 13
    edited March 2008
    I would suggest that the sub with the higher qms value is likely to be more "punchy" and "responsive", but there are other factors. My preference is definitely the 10", but that is probably going to score lower in sq even if I have an AWESOME setup, because yeah, bigger is better (to an extent). The reason I like 10s is because they are arguably "easier" to make them "punch you in the gut", and because I don't really have any love for sub 28Hz bass. Just sounds like noise to me and when all of the kick drum/bass guitar/heavy palm muted guitars are playing, anything lower than what the SR 10" can put out gets in the way of my gloriously heavy music. :D
  • Polkemon
    Polkemon Posts: 144
    edited March 2008
    That is the way I look at it to. I could care less about the low low bass but would rather have the punch any day. I think I will pass on the 15". I just cant see how a 12" could have a better punch then a 10" of the same brand and model. Thanks
    NEWEST RIDE:
    2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
    Supercharger Pully Upgrade
    Air Intake
    Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
    Front Doors POLK sr6500
    Amp front JL 450/4
    Amp Sub JL 500/1
    Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
    2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
    All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited March 2008
    believe me the sr124-dvc subs have some serious punch. i played my sheffield labs drum track cd with them and the double bass drums were punching the crap out of me. very tight and accurate bass that will get low also. sounded like the drummers are playing right in my car. go for the 12's man!!!!!!!!!!!
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • br85
    br85 Posts: 13
    edited March 2008
    From one of the highly respected sq guru's on another site i'm a member at:

"two 10's over one twelve any day of the week.

Same enclosure size, more linear output, greater cone area (and hence volume) and greater flexibility on impedance matching. Better power handling, greater sensitivity and looks better too!"

And if you're argument is, "hey, I have 2 12's which is even better!", Well, some people just don't have the spare room for that sort of nonsense :p and even if I did, i'd just get 4 X 10's, set up a high powered MTM array in the front and whoop your a$$. :p You will never fit 4 12's in your sedan if you want to carry a sheet of paper in the trunk, so i win. :p