broken collarbone

nms
nms Posts: 671
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Yep. Bike wreck, hit a jump way too fast and parted company with my wheels. Yes, it hurts. :) Yes, I was stupid. Yes, I have narcotic painkillers :). That is all. :)
My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
Post edited by nms on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2008
    Pics / X-ray or it didn't happen!

Just kidding (kind of). Sorry to hear of your tumble. Hope you feel better; don't get hooked on the vicodin.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    Glad you came out of that with the ability to type....consider yourself lucky.
    Here's to a speedy recovery.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • fumoffu
    fumoffu Posts: 80
    edited February 2008
    nms wrote: »
    Yep. Bike wreck, hit a jump way too fast and parted company with my wheels. Yes, it hurts. :) Yes, I was stupid. Yes, I have narcotic painkillers :). That is all. :)

Are we talking like a motor bike or a mountain bike here?
    Home Theatre: Epson 5020ub, Elite Screen Sable Frame 100", Onkyo 818, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Series 3, Xbox 360, Sealed Dual Sound Splinter RL-p 15" DIY sub powered by Behringer EP2500 with FBD, QSC RMX1400 powering LSi15, LSiC, LSiFX sides, and Lsi7 for the back, Technics SL-1200M3D
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    Ouch!!!:eek: I broke mine when I was 2..or so I am told. Feel better.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    Feel better.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    As already stated, injuries must be accompanied by pics or xrays or they didn't happen.
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited March 2008
    Had the same thing happen to me. Going down a steep hill, front tire got in a rut and I flipped over, landed on my shoulder. Broken collarbones hurt like hell. About a week later I was relaxing at the lake, fishing. I slipped on some rocks and fell on my elbow, and rebroke the same collarbone. Guess what, It hurts more the second time. Hopefully, it heals right and you won't have a big lump where the break was.
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited March 2008
    Tackled in a football game in a friends back yard when I was a kid I went back and landed on a baseball bat.

My mom didn't believe me how much it hurt so never took me to the ER. I slept on it (or didn't sleep) the first night....ouch!

Get well

I'll pm my addy and take some of little round things off your hands!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2008
    Wishing you a Speedy recovery,, better living thru chemistry:p
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • nms
    edited March 2008
    they gave me a cd w/ the x-rays on them in a stand-alone app. I'll see if I can extract them later today.

considering I broke a bone it doesn't hurt as much as I would expect.

thanks guys.
    My system

• mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited March 2008
    Broken collar bone is not to bad, I had a 3rd degree ac separation 2 years ago and was riding 3 weeks later. My collar bone sticks up and out my back a little but it dosen't hurt and my strength is good.

Now when I got hit by the car last spring and broke my sternum, that was and is painful. Almost 1 year ago and it still hurts to sneeze and cough sometimes and certain type of crunches are next to impossible.

where did the bone break?
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited March 2008
    they gave me a cd w/ the x-rays on them in a stand-alone app. I'll see if I can extract them later today.

considering I broke a bone it doesn't hurt as much as I would expect.

thanks guys.

Clavicle isn't too bad. Did yours break all the way in two or just get "bent" like mine?

The surgery following a broken bone painful. 5 days of vicotin helps a lot.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • BaggedLancer
    edited March 2008
    I-SIG wrote: »
    The surgery following a broken bone painful. 5 days of vicotin helps a lot.

This is way too true. When i broke my elbow joint into little pieces and broke off a piece of bone, yea I was in pain. But damn, when they did the surgery to put things back together, shave down the frayed cartiledge and remove the bone chip and then smooth out the bone....HOLY SH#$ did that that hurt....for days and days. Vicatin helps alot though. :D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    NO more pictures PLEASE! I remember seeing a vid where some kid was trying to ride/ jump over a bar w/ his skateboard. Kid landed in such a way, that one of the bones in his shoulder(don't know which), broke, and was sticking OUT the back of his shoulder!
    Yes the kid was screaming, and I just about fainted/ puked!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited March 2008
    I wish i took pics of my elbow after the surgery.....I had 6 big holes with numerous stiches in each. The night of the surgery it was oozing enough that I had a puddle of goo on the table where I was resting my arm. I had to go back and get one of the holes stiched a bit better cause it was leaking a little too much.
  • nms
    edited March 2008
    I went and saw an orthopedist this morning and we decided not to do surgery to pin it back together for a variety of reasons. The pain is very low, (I only took one codeine this morning), I'm typing this with 2 hands no problem. I should be back on a bike within a month, competitively riding at about a month and a half.

For the record, this was a mountain bike, no motor.

The x-ray pics are unfortunately embedded in the application, so I can't show you guys. But it's very broken - the piece attached to my shoulder has dropped under the other piece, so it's not just bent.

So yeah, this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The worst part will be not being able to ride.
    My system

• mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited March 2008
    You really only need surgery for a 4th degree ac seperation.

Get used to sleeping on your back.

The best part is now you don't have to worry about breaking you collar bone, its allready broken :)
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    mule wrote: »
    You really only need surgery for a 4th degree ac seperation.

Get used to sleeping on your back.

The best part is now you don't have to worry about breaking you collar bone, its allready broken :)

My Ortho told me I would have been better off just breaking the damn bone...no broken bones for me whatsoever...it was the worst kind of ac separation . It was cool for a while...the screws used in the surgery were 8 inches long and 2 of them the ends were JUST under the skin...if I brought my elbow to my stomach they would poke out maybe an inch ( Still under the skin...just 2 huge skin bulges ) ...great for grossing people out.

One of the worst pains ever was when they removed those 2 screws...they used a hand crank gizmo that I could swear said craftsman on the chuck :D
    They were a fine thread and took a lot of cranking to come all the way out.

I still have a pronounced bump ( Quite a bit larger then I-SIG's ) to this day.
    But it functions at 100%...I cant believe they repaired it so well.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited March 2008
    The x-ray pics are unfortunately embedded in the application, so I can't show you guys. But it's very broken - the piece attached to my shoulder has dropped under the other piece, so it's not just bent.

Try hitting "ALT-Print Screen" with the photo displayed and pasting it into Paint and trim it down.

Get Well Soon! :D
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2008
    Broke mine wrestling in my last match of the season as a soph in HS. Nobody believed me and it never got fixed. The next year at the start of the season, I showed to our doc, his response was yup, you broke it.

Get well, and don't do anything stupid for a while.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited March 2008
    Get well. Take Happy drugs.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • nms
    edited March 2008
    OK, here's a screenshot. The app allows you to adjust the brightness and contrast, so I've messed with it to show the break as best as possible, so that's why the rest of the x-ray looks weird. The pain right now is not bad at all, even with no painkillers.
    My system

• BaggedLancer
    edited March 2008
  • nms
    edited March 2008
    Nice Work!

Thanks!
    My system

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2008
    Nice...

Clavicle=weakest bone in the body
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2008
    I cut my finger today...

sorry couldn't resist. Get well soon man. My daughter when she was 1.5years old fell out of a chair onto the carpet flooring and kinda cried a bit. We were like, tough it out kid and put her to bed. She was crying all night and we were like, get over it ;) Took her the Doc the next morning, and she had broken her arm. Just from falling out of a chair that was 18" off the ground!

Glad you weren't hurt more, the body can be a strange thing at times but usually heals stronger than before!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    OK, here's a screenshot. The app allows you to adjust the brightness and contrast, so I've messed with it to show the break as best as possible, so that's why the rest of the x-ray looks weird. The pain right now is not bad at all, even with no painkillers.

After further review of your X-ray, the doctors here at the Bluelight Clinic have determined that this isn't an X-ray of your shoulder, but an X-ray of your ...... uhm ...... "pelvis".

CollarBone1.jpg

Sorry for the mixup.......Shorty.

:o
    Sal Palooza
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2008
    Holy Snikees,, you really did a job on that ,,,take it easy and hope that it heals fast.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2008
    get well soon man. Sit and listen to some tunes.