how can you distinguish a sr124 svc vs dvc

Options
keith89
keith89 Posts: 24
edited February 2008 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how you can physically determine if an sr124 is a single or dual voice coil. IE. what to look for. I want to make sure I got the right one, but the box looks the same for both and does not say svc or dvc.

Thanks
Post edited by keith89 on

Comments

• Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    Options
    the DVC have 4 connections, and the SVC just 2
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • keith89
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Hmmm Accordign to the instructions they both have 4 connections. on the SVC only the outside 2 are used...
    Now a slight aside: will powering 500W to each voice coil of a dvc sub "similar" to running 1000w to a svc version of the same sub?
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2008
    Options
    keith89 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering how you can physically determine if an sr124 is a single or dual voice coil. IE. what to look for. I want to make sure I got the right one, but the box looks the same for both and does not say svc or dvc.

Thanks

If you look at the terminal block and follow the wires to where they attach to the cone, there will be two sets on a dual voice coil model (compared to one set of wires on the SVC model).

keith89 wrote: »
    Hmmm Accordign to the instructions they both have 4 connections. on the SVC only the outside 2 are used...
    Now a slight aside: will powering 500W to each voice coil of a dvc sub "similar" to running 1000w to a svc version of the same sub?

The dual voice coil models have two 4 ohm coils that can be wired to present either a 2 ohm load to your amp (coils wired parallel) or an 8 ohm load (coils wired series), much like wiring up two separate 4 ohm subs. The single voice coil model has a solitary 4 ohm coil. The DVC model is rated at 350 watts RMS per coil while the SVC model is rated at 700 watts for the one.

Either way, the power handling of the sub remains at 700 watts- you can certainly run 1000 watts to it for "headroom" but you'd best be careful with your gains/volume knob in doing so, plus you'd want to make sure the enclosure is in the recommended size range- one that's way too small or too large could have adverse effects when putting an extra 300 watts into the sub. If you're going ported, the SR124 may not take well to being over-powered compared to a sealed enclosure, so you'd best use a subsonic filter set near the port's tuned frequency in that case.

The whole concept of DVC vs. SVC is to allow wiring flexibility with a single or multiple subs to wring the most power from your amplifier at the various impedances possible with your wiring scheme- what amp do you intend to use?
  • keith89
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Thanks guys. Good I have the SVC version. I was also thinking I saw only one pair of leads attached to the cone so it probably wasn't dvc.
    I will be using a sealed 1.5 cubic foot box and powering it using an alpine pdx-1.1000 amp. I will be setting my gains with an oscilloscope and dmm. the 1k watts is more for headroom. I know I won't be pushing it anywhere near that as I purchased this sub for sq rather than spl.
  • keith89
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Thanks I will be having a custom box built. For now, I have a temporary box of 1.5 cubic feet without the driver. I guess I can add a few pieces of wood to it to bring the volume down until I get the new box.