wiring SR6500

XJchris
XJchris Posts: 3
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys I'm new to the forum.
I've got a question about setting up my polk SR6500s for my front stage, and you guys seem to know your stuff so hopefully I can get some help here. I have an Alpine PDX 4.100 that I will be using to power them. I've been googling and reading a ton of threads on bi-amping and I think thats how I want to set them up but I'm not totally clear on how I would wire them in bi-amp configuration. I'm not using rear speakers. I'm not running active, I don't know tuning that well so I will be using the passive crossovers for now. My plan is to remove the jumpers from inside the SR's crossovers, and run a wire from the + and - of each amp channel, to their respective terminals on the crossovers. Then from the crossovers out to the speakers. This will be using all 4 channels of the amp for the 2 woofers and 2 tweeters, each on their own 100w channel, keeping the passive crossover. Will I still be presenting a 4 ohm load using this method? I will set the gains using a multimeter and test tones. There would be a total of 8 wires running from the amp to both crossovers. Please correct me where ever I'm wrong, I want to be 100% positive on the wiring before I do it so I don't end up frying something. All input is really appreciated.
Post edited by XJchris on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Sounds right to me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2008
    RTFM, it's all explained well. :)
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • XJchris
    edited February 2008
    Ok thanks that is how I will set it up. The SR's manual doesn't have too much bi-amp info, and the amp is yet to arrive.
    So as far as RCA's, I will need two sets? One for the front channels and one for rears?
  • audiofiend
    audiofiend Posts: 67
    edited February 2008
    Im fixing to do the same thing soon with a Zapco 1000.4 amp and I dont have an SR manual. I intend to bi-amp the same as you. good to hear we're headed in the right direction. good luck w/ your wiring.
    Pioneer - DEH-80PRS
    Polk Audio - PA 500.4
    Subamps?
    Mids: Polk Audio - SR6500
    Tweeters: Viva XT 25 SC 90 - 04
    Subwoofers:?
    Wiring?
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited February 2008
    XJchris wrote: »
    Ok thanks that is how I will set it up. The SR's manual doesn't have too much bi-amp info, and the amp is yet to arrive.
    So as far as RCA's, I will need two sets? One for the front channels and one for rears?

Technically you're right. But, I believe some amps will allow you to use the same input for the rear channels as the front (so you only have to run 1 cable).

But if the amp doesn't have that feature (I dont think many of them do), you can just run 1 long rca cable from the HU to the front channel inputs on the amp. Then use a 2nd very short rca cable to connect the amp's front channel outputs to the rear channel inputs. Similarly, you can use a "Y adapter" on the cable from the HU to split up the signal into 2 more channels. Here is a little diagram:
    wiring.png

I guess you can also run 2 long cables from the HU one for the rear and one for the front if you're not using rear speakers. Other than the fader on the HU, I dont know if this will have any other effect. You would definitely not want to do this option if you are going to use a processor.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2008
    bi-amping is for rookies, quad amp it yo!!! hahaha sorry, I just want FULLLLL tweaking ability.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • XJchris
    edited February 2008
    Thanks for helping, since my amp doesn't have rca outputs I'm just going to use a 4 channel RCA. It shouldn't matter since I wont be using any rears, and I have 3 sets of outputs on my HU.
  • black magic
    edited February 2008
    Yup, that'll work. Or you could use a Y splitter for the font channels if you ever end up needing your rear channels

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • fordtufff
    fordtufff Posts: 1
    edited March 2008
    I was looking to do the same thing, but i dont see the jumper you talk about. Could this be the dual/single input switch on the momo crossovers?. Nothing is mentioned in the manual except to have it set "right" but doesnt explain what right is. Polk makes some great speakers but need some manual improvements. I am still looking in the box to find the yellow crossovers they mention. I did find some grey crossovers though. Might want somebody to proof the manual who speaks english as a first language , not second:)
  • black magic
    edited March 2008
    fordtufff wrote: »
    I was looking to do the same thing, but i dont see the jumper you talk about. Could this be the dual/single input switch on the momo crossovers?. Nothing is mentioned in the manual except to have it set "right" but doesnt explain what right is. Polk makes some great speakers but need some manual improvements. I am still looking in the box to find the yellow crossovers they mention. I did find some grey crossovers though. Might want somebody to proof the manual who speaks english as a first language , not second:)

The single/dual switch that you are referring to on the momo crossover is used to let it know which type of input you will be using. If you plan on bi-amping them (using 2 channels - one for woofer and one for the tweeter), you would use "dual" mode. If you plan to only have 1 channel run to both the tweeter and woofer, use "single" and run the wires from the amp to the TWEETER input on the crossover.