Which receiver to get?

Options
scorch968
scorch968 Posts: 2
edited December 2002 in Speakers
Hello all,
I just received my 7600's/650 system and hooked it all up...all is well and the only thing that is any concern is the sub. (have to turn it up quite a bit to get a good boom out of it) Now really I can't be concerned to much until I get a decent receiver. Right now I'm working off of a Sony receiver that I purchased in a surround kit. Is spec'd out for 500x5 but I know better. Anyway I am interested in Harman Kardon's AVR 525. Any other suggestions? Speaker placement etc? Thanks.
Post edited by scorch968 on

Comments

• liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Two things.

1. Your Sony does not do 500x5 and second it's sub output might not be strong enough to effectively drive the 650 hence the reason you have to crank it.

2. Tell us where you placed the sub because it sounds like you are losing all your bass energy into say a hallway or another room or something. You do not not want the sub to boom you should be able to close you're eyes and not be able o pinpoint the subwoofer if placed correctly.

Please elaborate on your set-up.
  • scorch968
    scorch968 Posts: 2
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Well first of all the sub is kinda in a hallway. However it isn't much of one because I live in a apt. Its in the front to the left of the front left speaker. But i hadn't thought about moving it until you said something. Gonna try that.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Start by placing it near a corner and move it out slowly until the sub blends in with your mains. You want the bass to be smooth and it should not overpower your other speakers. Try playing with the phase switch as well. My 650 sounds much better with reverse phase in my set up.

There are plenty of great receivers out there. Buy the one that sounds best to you and one that has the features you're looking for. Make sure to get a proper demo.

Maurice
  • Apex
    Apex Posts: 69
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Get a AVR7000.
    H/K AVR7000

"LSI25's bi-wired with 2.4s

Mirage OM c2 Center "LSiC soon"

FX300i rears "LSi15's soon for the rears".

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Work with what you have first. Sure Sony exaggerates their specs (most do), but if your room is 15x20 or smaller you don't need much. My new 4 watt speakers fill my 12x15 perfectly. And I've always like the sound of Sony. They just can't seem to drive power hungry speakers.

I think if you move around the sub a little you'll get the bass you're looking for.

If you still want an upgrade tell us your room size/dimensions, sources (mostly DVD, VHS, CD, etc), plans for future upgrades, and amount $$$ you're looking to spend an you'll get a better answer. Otherwise you might get a +/- $1000.00 range of opinions only to find out that what's best for them isn't best for you.
    Make it Funky! :)