Advice on Boat Audio System

bclemens
bclemens Posts: 3
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum, but I have a question for some of you more experienced system builders. I just bought an 18' little ski boat. It is old, a 1971 Mariah hull with a 455 Olds engine. I recently received four db6501 speakers for use in the boat.

I have no experience with boat stereo installation and have a few questions to ask. First of all, should I upgrade the speakers, and if so to what? Also, I have some questions on placement. I am thinking two facing back just under the deck, and two facing into the boat just behind the rear seats. Is there a standard set up for boats, or any suggestions on this set up?

My last questions revolves around the rest of the system. Any suggestions on the deck? Do I need an amp and if so, what kind do you suggest? And also, is there a need for a subwoofer or do these speakers do a fairly good job with bass?

I know this is a long post, but any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, and any overall tips you have would be a great help. Thanks for reading.

Here is a diagram of the boat with red arrows showing the placement and direction of the speakers that I am thinking of.
Post edited by bclemens on

Comments

• pentavolvo
    pentavolvo Posts: 68
    edited February 2008
    On my 20 ft celebrity I have 2 pairs of the 6.5" dbs with an alpine headunit. The amp was the greatest thing I ever did for the stereo, i 100% recommend adding an amp, much louder and cleaner