Remove tweeters from housings?

Dan Michaelson
Dan Michaelson Posts: 6
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just bought a pair of MMC650's for my rear doors, and DB6501 components for my front doors. (2006 Pontiac Vibe.)

With the DB6501 components, I'd like to put the tweeters behind the same factory grilles that housed the tweeters for the factory 6-speaker component system. I think this means I need to remove the DB6501 tweeters from their plastic housings, to remove the little Polk grilles so I don't put one grille behind another. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? Or is it not necessary?

With the MMC650's, similar question- those coax-mounted tweeters have their own grilles, is it ok to put them behind the factory grilles in the back doors? Doesn't having two grilles interfere with the sound?

Thanks..
Post edited by Dan Michaelson on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited February 2008
    i think the tweater will be significantly larger than the factory one.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Dan Michaelson
    edited February 2008
    i think the tweater will be significantly larger than the factory one.

They are about the same size, plus or minus.. to be more specific, I don't have the factory tweeters, but I ordered the factory sail panels for that sound system (the little trim panels that the factory tweeters would mount in) from the dealer and have them now. It looks like the Polk tweeters will pretty much fit behind those grilles, but I'd still like to know how to get 'em out of the Polk housings if it's possible... or think it's ok to have one grille behind another?

D
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited February 2008
    it would be better if u didnt have 1 grill behind another, i used an screwdriver and put a piece of carpeting (i had leftover from my install) and just pushed the back of the speaker up while holding the cup.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited February 2008
    You can carefully pry off the db tweeter grills. A pick tool works best.
  • Dan Michaelson
    edited February 2008
    Thom wrote: »
    You can carefully pry off the db tweeter grills. A pick tool works best.

Do you mean just pull off the black metal grill, leaving the tweeter still mounted in the silver housing that says "db" and "polk"?
  • Dan Michaelson
    edited February 2008
    Do you mean just pull off the black metal grill, leaving the tweeter still mounted in the silver housing that says "db" and "polk"?

So I went ahead and did just that- worked great. Just used a tiny screwdriver to pry off the black metal grills from the DB6501 tweeters. They are gonna fit behind those sail panels nicely.

Should I do the same thing to the tweeters in the MMC650 coax's? The MMC650's will go behind the factory grills in the rear doors.
  • Thom
    edited February 2008
    Should I do the same thing to the tweeters in the MMC650 coax's? The MMC650's will go behind the factory grills in the rear doors.

The Momo tweeter grills pop off the same way.
  • Dan Michaelson
    edited February 2008
    Thom wrote: »
    The Momo tweeter grills pop off the same way.

Hm. Are you sure? So far it's not as easy as the db component tweeter. This is the tweeter in the Momo coax (not component). I am yanking at it and have pretty well mangled the tweeter's grill, to no avail.. worried that little bits of metal are going to get into the speaker coil.. Should I keep yanking? It's made trickier by the fact that the tweeter swivels, plus not wanting to stick a tool through the woofer :)

Thanks..
  • Thom
    edited February 2008
    I can see the swivel tweeter being trickier. This morning I removed the grill from an MMC410- but that doesn't have the swivel tweeter. The glue did seem to hold a little better than the db grill.

I don't think it's necessary to remove it, though. If you think it might screw it up I wouldn't keep trying. :D
  • Dan Michaelson
    edited February 2008
    Yeah. For the record I would not recommend trying to remove the tweeter grills of this particular model (MMC650) :) I am basically cutting the grill away with snippers now since I mangled it so bad trying to pry it off. At this point I can tell you it doesn't want to come loose. Guess I'll leave the other one alone, or maybe give it the snippers treatment too.