Which amp to power a MM124?

LILDRAGON
LILDRAGON Posts: 47
edited December 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi I am looking at these amps and would like some opinion on which ones would be good to power a single MM124? Thanks. Keep in mind that I am kind of on a budget and any other amps not listed here, that you think will do the job let me know. I am thinking of purchasing one in about a week or two (need bass!)

Also here are prices from eBay (after shipping):

JL Audio 500/1 ($350)
MTX Thunder 8100D ($390)
Rockford Fosgate Power 1000bd ($370 refurbished $400+ new)
JBL BP1200.1 ($280)
Visonik V900XD ($290)
Audiobahn A18001D ($400)
Post edited by LILDRAGON on

Comments

• Kenny W
    Kenny W Posts: 8
    edited December 2002
    i personally don't like mtx...visionek i dont know about, and i dont believe JBL is all that good either. JL makes very nice products, a girl at my school used all JL and Alpine stuff for her $7000 system. I'm a believer in Rockford Fosgate, because I've never had a problem with my amp except overheating after cranking the volume for extended periods of time, but that could be solved if I put down my backseat or installed a fan to blow on it. Personally, I haven't been all that impressed so far with the MM124...the sound quality is great but it bothers me that the sub hits that grille...when it does the sound gets distorted and its not good for the sub anyway.
    What's that nasty rattle? Oh, its a Civic.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2002
    note -- at the very bottom, i've posted the amp I reccomend for your application... everything before it is just 'answering' your other amps

Well, I've used / auditioned or have had friends use all of those amplifier manufacturers...

The JL 500.1 is a regulated amplifier. It's actual output is near 485 watts. It will put out that amount of power regardless of what power voltage it is wired to, or what your preamp is (must be adjusted properly). The problem is.. you dont have any headroom... and 485 is a far cry from the 600+ watts you ought to give a momo 12.

See, teh sub takes 500 rms. Well in order to get a nice steady 500 rms you need OVER 500 so that you dont have to drive the amp hard, and you do not risk clipping -- they call it "headroom"... 10-15% headroom is usually good or more than good.

The 1000bd rockford is a respectable amp, and the price is not bad... however, I don't think its wise to use all the full "brunt" of a 2 ohm stable class D amp to push a single 4 ohm sub.

If you're going to use a class D at 4 ohms.. then get the mtx 81000d... unlike the rockford, they wont get hot enough for you to cook breakfast on them... I run two, without fans, in a tight space, at almost "full throttle" for hours on end, and they just about get warm, never hot. 3 yr mtx warranty is nice too. its stronger as well... 1200 rms at 12.5 volts (car off) versus rockford's 1050 or so at 13.8 volts (car running).

audiobahn has never won anybody's heart -- they make a respectable product, but 99% of the time they want to charge you an arm and a leg for it, their tech support is aweful (unlike mtx and rockford fosgate who are both very accomidating and will listen to you complain and banter for hours on end).

the JBL bp 1200.1 is the bargain basement budget amp -- but its a STUD. it will do a legitimate 1200 - 1300 x 1 at 2 ohms with the car running (13.5 - 14 v). It has a good crossover, but it lacks a subsonic filter. the previous amps we've discussed have a subsonic filter that cuts out sounds below 20 to 30 hertz (depending on amp) that the human ear cant hear.. this conserves power, and makes the woofer respond better. Having no subsonic filter is what allows JBL to make this amp more cheaply. Also.. its kind of big.. the actual length / width are comparable to the mtx / rockford 1000 watt class D's, but the height is not .. its about double the height give or take half an inch. This amp is not "the best" but at 250 bucks on ebay (if you hunt hard) its a killer steal.

Visionik is a waste of money -- They'll forever be ranked along the class of Profile/California, Legacy, and the like. They're a bit above the garbage, but not much above. People do tend to win competitions with them, but not many -- andthat is only a testament to the fact that "any woofer and any amp with the proper install that is correct for the vehicle" can win.

I think you ought to try to find something that is like 600 - 700 x 1 at 4 ohms... chances are, this will NOT be a class D amp... it will be a 2 channel class AB amp.

Personally -- i'm getting on the Cadence audio bandwagon...
    http://www.cadencesound.com/
    I wish i had gotten two Cadence class D's instead of two mtx's -- cadence is a bit more money but the thing is.. if you can find them on ebay / wholesale, they're about the same price as rockford and mtx (give or take 20 bucks) so its all the same in the end.

The amp i actually reccomend for you is the Cadence Z9000 --- their Z series is their high end for audiophiles (they make an A series for competition / power) the Z9000 is a 2 channel amp that when run in bridged mode will put out 800 x 1 at 4 ohms and 14.4 volts-- so about 650 at 12.5 volts probably... thd is pittifully low at 0.05%. It's a well built amp.
    http://www.cadencesound.com/action.lasso?-database=Products.lasso&-layout=Description&-response=amp_detail.html&MODEL=Z9000&modelyear=2001&-search
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • LILDRAGON
    edited December 2002
    Rockford Fosgate Power 750S 2-CH 750 WATT AMP (about $350 out the door)
    COUSTIC 601SE 2-CH AMP 600 WATTS RMS ($240)
    HiFonics Zeus Z6000 600 WATT 2-Ch CAR AMP Z6000 ($240)

What you you think of this amp along with the others, these I can get at a local store not to far? And thanks for all the info on the other amps so far!
  • LILDRAGON
    edited December 2002
    Is $350 for the Rockford Fosgate 1000bd a good price or can I get it for cheaper? I think this is what i'll go with to power 1 MM124. Has anyone use this setup and will it be able to pound? Thanks.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2002
    well actually.. the 2 channel 750S 750X1 into 4 ohms bridged is your best bet i would say out of all the amps you listed... it has the lowest THD, the highest damping factor, and the best all around fit for the momo... at 350 that's a good price for it.

350 for the 1000bd is not bad.. its "normal price" to "slightly under normal price" for it on ebay.

but like i said.. i'd do the 750 fosgate. It wont get as hot either.

the 750's also a class AB amp which is by design a much "nicer sounding"amp than any class D (excluding class T whioch isn't really class D, but people like to think it is).

besuides if u can get the 750s at a store then that means you've got the ability to say "oh **** my amp is blown up imma take it back to the store and have them give me a new one" -- which si something u cant do with ebay. besides.. if u dont like it.. its a store - u can bring it back.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge