How to file a claim with UPS

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Anybody ever done this? Any pointers?

Got some big boy speakers (RTi12's) in the mail today and both are broken in multiple spots... Arggg....

Thanks!
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2008
    Chances are the packaging won't meet UPS stringent requirements. They get you by the balls by specifying unreasonable packing specs. Most companies factory packaging doesn't even meet the requirements. It's likely your only recourse is thru the seller for improperly packing. On the chance that they were properly packed, you'll probably have to hound them as they usually will deny any claim hoping you'll accept the decision and move on. My condolences and hope it will work out.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • MrNightly
    edited February 2008
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Chances are the packaging won't meet UPS stringent requirements. They get you by the balls by specifying unreasonable packing specs. Most companies factory packaging doesn't even meet the requirements. It's likely your only recourse is thru the seller for improperly packing. On the chance that they were properly packed, you'll probably have to hound them as they usually will deny any claim hoping you'll accept the decision and move on. My condolences and hope it will work out.

Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear. I completed the online thing for each speaker, they said someone will have to come out and take a look at them.

I snapped quite a few pictures, hope that helps. I know they were damaged in shipping, because they were brand new, from beardogs house, to damaged at my front door... if they try to weasel out of this one, they will be sorry. I already feel bad for the first line of customer service that will be dealing with me :D
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited February 2008
    If you need any additional help, contact the BBB. Everytime I've ever had an issue with a company that they wouldn't resolve, I've submitted a claim with the BBB and within a week I would get a call from someone higher up in the company basically taking care of everything. It helps to have someone on your side when a big company isn't helping you.
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2008
    I am so pissed..

These speaks were never opened ...factory packed and i just shipped

I spoke with the UPS guy for at least 30 minutes and he said they should make it because they were packed by the manufacturer

Lie`n bastge..

I will check on my end to see what I can do to help...

Sorry bro, I tried to make it happen for ya...it really pisses me off that it didn`t work the way I hoped it would...

I will give a full refund if you want....just box em back up and shoot em back

Just let me know
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • acsubie
    acsubie Posts: 773
    edited February 2008
    just recently had my ups claim denied....basically got some polk towers used sent to me in all original factory packaging, didnt meet my standards and sent them back to seller exactly the way i recieved, original factory packaging

well one speaker got pretty busted up in return transit...ups denied the claim stating inadequate packing material, should be noted the speakers were both insured up to $300 each

luckily the seller ate the cost since i originally wasnt pleased with them...ended up only losing about $65 in the end after return shipping and paypal refund fees
  • beardog03
    edited February 2008
    they were factory packed...never opened

they better not deny a damn thing...or it`s hammer time..!!!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited February 2008
    Start shining up that ball peen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• beardog03
    edited February 2008
    Oh, she`s shinny all right !!! ;)

We should be able to work something out with U.. P.. Woops..!

shoot me some pic`s , so I can see what we are dealing with
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• MrNightly
    edited February 2008
    Pic's on the way. It ain't your fault Robert.. freakin' UPS.

I think most of the damage is fixable, except for the possible loose/damaged speaker that is rattling, and the impact dent/crack on the front. For being new though, they won't ever have a resale if damaged from day one I fear.

I've already started the claim process... nobody better reject it. If need be, we can pull in the BBB as stated above. I really don't want to send them back, they are such a bear... har har ;) But will do whatever I need to.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited February 2008
    I just had to file a claim with UPS for a pair of RT800i's that I shipped. I was real surprised at how well it went. They didn't even want to see the package and just awarded me my claim. I did most of it online through the UPS store. In the end I had to fax them a invoice showing how much the buyer paid and that was about it. Oh you have to print out a sheet and fill it out and fax it to them also. They send all there required stuff to you via email. They were always in communication with me either by phone or email. They seemed like they wanted to get resolved very quickly. I didn't expect it to go so smooth. I hope it goes as smooth for you guys as well.
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited February 2008
    I've got a similar problem. Got my TT last night, but the dust cover had a big chunk broke out of it. A UPS rep is coming over next week to inspect the damage and all the packing material. This should be fun.:(
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    Drives me **** when you have to fight to get what you paid in advance for (insurance).
    When you fax in whatever crap they are asking for, send in a formal demand letter. Google consumer protection Chapter 93A, it is your friend. I am not an attorney, but I've used it many times, and have prevailed in each case that fought me after the initial demand. Triple damage is the penalty if they take more than 30 days to reply or make you have to file in court. It can be used to clean up credit in some circumstances as well, but there is a whole thread on that right now.

Good luck, and that^^ will work better than any ball-peen!
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • beardog03
    edited February 2008
    I`ll take your word for it !!

I am about to ship my Cary Integrated in it`s original packaging, and I`m worried that it may be damaged..

it really blows, because, like with these speaks, it`s the ORIGINAL PACKAGING...

You have no guarantee`s when shipping, even if it`s from the maker of the product...
    I always insure for more than I sell, or it`s really worth , just to be on the safe side

it`s not much of a comfort, but it helps make you think it will be handled if something does go wrong..

Any word from the folks that you contacted yet ?
    I am very bummed that you even have to deal with it...but I am going to try and remain confident it will all work out.....
    If I can help, just say the word and I will do whatever I can....if anything

I`m sure Polks CS will help get the replacement parts to you quickly..

Polks CS is the best in the business IMO
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2008
    I saw these speakers last night. One of the power ports had it's corner crushed and the foam internally is slightly falling into the front port. he said they also rattle around like there's a bucket of screws inside. The other speaker looks to have been dropped or kicked. The front bottom plastic piece is broken off and the grill looks to have been kicked as it put a small dent in the front of the cabinet. This is why I only ship FedEX. I know they're not the best but they're better than UPS and not as expensive! I have taken something to UPS and had them quote me $27 then took the same box to FedEX and had it shipped for $12.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • beardog03
    edited February 2008
    sounds like they didn`t stand a chance .....

If they just stood back and kicked them, then if we could find foot prints, maybe they would find a way to replace them faster...

Why do people do sh*tty things like that ?
    makes me sick to think that some punk kids somewhere were purposely damaging the speaks along the way.......
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited February 2008
    I just started my claim last night. A ups rep called and said that I could send them pics, and thats how they'll evaluate the damage. I also send them an extra one. When ups delivered, I quickly brought it inside, to notice the whole side of the box was completely wet. I'm sure they will try to wiggle their way out of it.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2008
    I didn't mean like hauled off and kicked them but more along the line of being dropped against something.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • MrNightly
    edited February 2008
    Well, they have come twice now and nobody has been home. Who comes by at 10am... twice... when normal people are working? They will only try three times then deny the claim it seems. Idiots.

My wife is staying home tomorrow just to answer the door :D Ever heard of calling before coming over?!?

Geez...
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• beardog03
    edited February 2008
    I was just down there shipping my Cary, and spoke with the guy that shipped the speaks...
    He was as suprised as I was...he said that he had been contacted and sobody was comming by tomorrow to talk to him...

I said , "yeah, I know all about it, they were trashed "!!

He said "WHAT?,,Did you see them...I said I saw a couple of pic`s and they were pretty bad but I thought they could be fixed...

His whole attitude towards me changed, and I told him that if what happened to the speaks, happens to the Cary, I was commin back, and I ain`t gonna discuss anything....it is NOT the money, it`s my CARY....it`s a work of art and needs to be treated as such...

I put the original double box into a third double walled box, and floated that on styro peanuts...

It cost me friggen...now get this.....$251.68 :eek:
    Wait until the buyer get that bill !!
    I don`t think he`s gonna dig it, but thats what it cost , so thats what he`s paying...a deal is a deal

anyway....seems they are already deciding wheather or not to pay this claim, so someone that knows the speaks should be there to let them look at them.

Kinda hard when you have to be at work, but they are hoping that you won`t be there, so they don`t have to pay..

This guy wasn`t to happy about it, and I told him...."imagine how I feel....better yet, imagine how the guy that opened the box at the other end feels......he seemed suprised that I knew about it, like I shouldn`t have known, or been in contact with the recipient...

I told him .."what would you exspect when you sell something to somebody and they arrive damaged ?"

of course there was communication....SOMEBODY HAS TO MAKE IT RIGHT, and it aint me,,,I bought insurance....$800 per box...!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    beardog03 wrote: »
    I was just down there shipping my Cary, and spoke with the guy that shipped the speaks...
    He was as suprised as I was...he said that he had been contacted and sobody was comming by tomorrow to talk to him...

I said , "yeah, I know all about it, they were trashed "!!

He said "WHAT?,,Did you see them...I said I saw a couple of pic`s and they were pretty bad but I thought they could be fixed...

His whole attitude towards me changed, and I told him that if what happened to the speaks, happens to the Cary, I was commin back, and I ain`t gonna discuss anything....it is NOT the money, it`s my CARY....it`s a work of art and needs to be treated as such...

I put the original double box into a third double walled box, and floated that on styro peanuts...

It cost me friggen...now get this.....$251.68 :eek:
    Wait until the buyer get that bill !!
    I don`t think he`s gonna dig it, but thats what it cost , so thats what he`s paying...a deal is a deal

anyway....seems they are already deciding wheather or not to pay this claim, so someone that knows the speaks should be there to let them look at them.

Kinda hard when you have to be at work, but they are hoping that you won`t be there, so they don`t have to pay..

This guy wasn`t to happy about it, and I told him...."imagine how I feel....better yet, imagine how the guy that opened the box at the other end feels......he seemed suprised that I knew about it, like I shouldn`t have known, or been in contact with the recipient...

I told him .."what would you exspect when you sell something to somebody and they arrive damaged ?"

of course there was communication....SOMEBODY HAS TO MAKE IT RIGHT, and it aint me,,,I bought insurance....$800 per box...!

$251 is not a suprising shipping quote. I had to ship the entire air suspension system from my old car, 4 struts, 5 gallon air tank, 2 compressors, 8 big 1/2" brass valves, and a whole variety of other parts. Shipped in 2 boxes and each box came to about $165ish each to ship via UPS ground.

It almost makes you wonder if at that point it's worth it to ship freight. When you are talking over $200 you can get things put on a pallette all by themselves for a little more than that. I know you wouldn't ship an amp freight, but like speakers and such. Any floor stander I buy in the future I think I'm going to request freight. Last time I shipped something that way, they had the truck pull up with the automatic dolly and hydraulic tailgate and put the package right into my garage on the pallette and gave me the option to keep the pallette.. Was no issue with shipping at all, and it was VERY poorly packed coming from Seattle to Boston via Old Dominion Freight Line.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited February 2008
    MrNightly wrote: »
    Well, they have come twice now and nobody has been home. Who comes by at 10am... twice... when normal people are working? They will only try three times then deny the claim it seems. Idiots.

My wife is staying home tomorrow just to answer the door :D Ever heard of calling before coming over?!?

Geez...
    I bought our RTi12's from Circuit City...when I unpacked them at home,one of the grills was damaged...There was no shipping other than from Polk to C.C.

I don't think that the Polk Factory packing is the best,especially for 90 lb.+ speakers.

I wish you would have bought mine,you would'nt be having near as much trouble right now.

Best of luck on your claim...I'm sure they will make it right.