Largest Vinyl Collection Sold???

schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,335
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
There was an ebay auction for what was supposed to be the largest vinyl collection in the world. Look Here It sold yesterday for about $3M. See story Here. Now, it's being reported that it may not have really been sold. Read Here

The seller (Paul) is a Pittsburgh guy that I've bought vinyl from for almost 40 years. I don't know him all that well, except he's got a big ego but is a decent guy. I've been trying to get Scompracer a nice copy of Chicago 2 from him (don't tell Rich).

Michael Fremer, senior contributing editor of Stereophile magazine was stunned that anyone would buy a collection of this size without first seeing it in person. He also could not believe Mr. Mawhinney could or would sell it without breaking it into lots. He has an excellent point:

"The way he's selling this collection makes no sense whatsoever," Mr. Fremer said. "I know these collectors. The jazz guys don't want the rock, the rock guys don't want the jazz, the LP guys don't want 45s, the 45 guys don't want LPs. To maximize your money, you could have the 45 lot, the vintage jazz lot, the Blue Note lot, the R&B lot, etc."

If there really isn't a deal for the vinyl, I hope Paul reconsiders breaking up the collection into separate lots, and getting a real agent who can get it to a real collector.

eBay!!!???? Geezh Paul! What were you thinking????:confused:

I'd like to see him get more money as this collection was his passion, and he is in failing health.:(
Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    By the sounds of it I would have to say his failing health is what put him towards ebay. Nothing is faster. It could take months, if not years to break that collection down to maximize profit. Not trying to be a d1ck, but I think with the 3 million he received in just over 2 weeks of listing it for sale, he can live very comfortably with his family from now till he dies.
  • schwarcw
    edited February 2008
    The collection was estimated to be worth as much as $50 million. Even if this estimate is high, he should get more than $3M

Paul is shrewd, it could have all been a stunt for publicity, to get attention from real collectors.

Carl
    Carl

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    So you think the Ireland buyer was a fake?

I would think if I had 3 strokes in just a couple years, was legally blind and had numerous other health problems 3 million would let me live comfortably till I die....That's just me though.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2008
    The rare Rolling stones collection that Paul claims to be worth $10k is only worth $600. That rate equates the $50M collection to be worth exactly the $3M opening bid......still alot of vinyl, that I would think cost more than that to collect, house, inventory.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • schwarcw
    edited February 2008
    I would think if I had 3 strokes in just a couple years, was legally blind and had numerous other health problems 3 million would let me live comfortably till I die....That's just me though.

What about the family?
    Carl

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    schwarcw wrote: »
    What about the family?

3 million isn't enough for his family? Come on now....properly invested that could last a LONG time.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2008
    3 million isn't enough for his family? Come on now....properly invested that could last a LONG time.

Cornering the market on vinyl didn't quite pan out did it?;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable