Worth buying HD DVD now?

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Several places like Tigerdirect.com have the toshiba HD-A3 players for sale at $89 with 5 free movies. Is it worth having an HD player around since its become obsolete?
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2008
    only if you build an arsenal of movies. most probably spend that amount of money on hookers and blow in a weekend. hd dvd will last far longer than one night of pleasure.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2008
    If you need a good upconverter, I'd say it's a good buy. Plus, you can always play the HD movies and get the ones you really like for cheap.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    I would not do it. I already hate myself for buying one back in December. Yes, it's a great upconverter, but if you really want Hi def movies, I'd put that money against a BR player.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    I plan to buy a second player. I want one for my living room and the price is crazy cheap. I already have 30+ HD-DVDs plus it's a fantastic upconverting machine there really is no reason not to buy one at this point.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    Well, I just figure I am gonna miss on all the new High def releases. I stopped buying DVD's a long time ago and only rent (with few exceptions), so for me having ah HD-DVD does not provide too much value now.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2008
    I've already purchased two HD-DVD players and many HD-DVDs. Might get a couple spare machines on the cheap just so I have backups to play HD-DVDs on if my current ones ever crap out.

$90 for an awesome upconverting player and 5 free High Def movies is a sick deal not matter if they are obsolete or not.

If SACD officially "died" and someone offered me a bad **** SACD / CD player and 5 free SACDs for $90, I'd be all over it.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • madmax
    edited February 2008
    The A3 is $89 and the A30 is $119. I wonder if it be worth getting the A30 for $30 more?

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited February 2008
    madmax wrote: »
    The A3 is $89 and the A30 is $119. I wonder if it be worth getting the A30 for $30 more?

Yes, the A30 uses a better upscaler and can output at 1080p/24. The upscaler is made by ABT (the company that does DVDO) and is highly rated. The a30 does not do very well with 1080p/60 though. If your TV can't accept 1080p/24, then you are better off using 1080i output.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • madmax
    edited February 2008
    OK, I ordered the A30. Never hurts to have another DVD player around. :)
    Thanks for the input!
    madmax

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited February 2008
    madmax wrote: »
    OK, I ordered the A30. Never hurts to have another DVD player around. :)
    Thanks for the input!
    madmax

5 free movies too (unless you've already redeemed that rebate once). Even at $10 each for the movies, that's almost half the price of the player.

Tempted to get one myself for the bedroom to replace the aging S97, but I'm torn between that and getting a used 2nd gen model so that I have spare parts for my XA2 (they all use the same drive and power boards)
    Might just have to do both.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2008
    Downside of the a3 (compared to the A2) is that the A3 downconverts all sound in HD movies to 640k DD signal. The A2 downconverts to a 1.5meg DTS signal.

Of course if you use it to play standard def movies or have it hooked to your system via HDMI - it really doesn't matter.

I returned my a3 and got an A2 since I have the sound hooked up via optical. I agree - just as an upconverting player, the A2 is well worth the $120 I spent on it. Not a regret at all in getting it. (the $125 sony upconverting player I purchased is not even in the same league as the A2)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • madmax
    edited February 2008
    I received the Toshiba HD player last night and watched a few movies. I only have component video input on my plasma (older version) and was worried that HD content would not flow through the component output. It does so that is nice. Apparently there is a copy protection flag on some DVD's which are copy protected. Hopefully I will get lucky and pick ones without the flag. Awesome picture!
    madmax

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2008
    If you want to upconvert your DVD collection through component, you can either get a HDMI to component adapter or rip the movies and burn to a DVD which will get rid of the flag. The latter might not be legal but if you own the movies I don't personally see a moral problem with it.
  • madmax
    edited February 2008
    I looked for an hdmi to component adaptor but couldn't find anything. It would be cool to upconvert the standard dvd's.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I never had any luck finding the HDMI to Component adapter either.

I didn't think it was a flag issue, I thought the Tosh players just don't upconvert via component at all...
  • triguy3
    triguy3 Posts: 11
    edited February 2008
    I love my Tosh A30. Upconverted DVD look amazing. gave ne life to my Sdvd collection. Admittedly i am using the HDMI connection to a 720p dlp. my sad old dlp can not display much more resolution than the upconverted DVD's so I am going to be able to enjoy SDVD for as long as the set holds out. for those people with smaller (<42" ) displays or 720p sets with HDMI, they will love these gret machines at this prioce.
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited February 2008
    I don't think you can get a HDMI to component adapter due to copyright issues. If anyone knows of an adapter, please let us know.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I didn't think it was a flag issue, I thought the Tosh players just don't upconvert via component at all...
    They do, at least A1 & XA1. All my Finnish movies upconvert via component since they don't have protection, and no country code. Removing the protection flag, upconversion happens as well.

madmax, try the old trick and connect HDMI cable to the player even when it's not hooked up to a display. YMMV but I've seen it work.

As for HDMI to component, converters are pretty pricey. This is cheapest I could find for now: http://store.homeavcables.com/hdmc-spdif.html (EDIT: this seems to be component-to-HDMI, not vice versa as the title of it says)

I know my friend has HDMI-to-RGB for his CRT projector.