Speeding Ticket...Round 2

13»

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    Actually, audiobliss -- you should get piss drunk and slam your truck into a bunch of ****. Then get arrested and mouth off to the cops and we'll feel sorry for you when the cops beat your ****. :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Actually, audiobliss -- you should get piss drunk and slam your truck into a bunch of ****. Then get arrested and mouth off to the cops and we'll feel sorry for you when the cops beat your ****. :D

I'd have to remember to feel sorry after I stopped laughing. Would someone be a pal and remind me, please?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    I'd have to remember to feel sorry after I stopped laughing. Would someone be a pal and remind me, please?
    No. I don't see any reason to feel bad here at all.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited February 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Hmm...advice from someone who knows nothing about radar detectors.
    -Cody

check the Applied Concepts and Kustom signals websites. Most radar is operated in stealth (standby) mode. when you are sighted by the official, parascope up, torpedo away, game over. Even more effective is the new LIDAR equipment which is much more accurate and vehicle specific than radar.

True, I dont know much about radar detectors, I am older, slower, and normally don't need to get anywhere in a real big hurry.
    [
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    Yes, its called instant on radar. Fortunate for me, my radar detector will pick it up instant on when targeted at vehicles very far ahead of me.

Now if you said laser, id agree with you 100%. Laser can not be detected unless its already pointed at your car. BUT, you can block laser legally in most states, whereas if you block radar, its a federal crime.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited February 2008
    Just don't get pulled over in our "capital" city of Columbia, SC! Had a similar situation - got stopped for speeding on Columbia's beltway for going 76/65 ($232.50 and 4 points) and went to Municipal Court, pled guilty and was very courteous to the judge and City officer who wrote the ticket. The judge was nice enough to reduce the fine to $176, but said, "We are not allowed to reduce points." Would have much rather paid the full fine and got the point reduction but Nooooo! That was exactly a year ago and a lesson was truly learned! I'm a good guy now! (but I sure stay away from Columbia!) :)
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Sounds like OJ's philosophy :p
    -Cody

Ouch cody that might leave a little mark, well, not really the same, eh, as he did not pay nearly enough, well at least not in my book.

It won't be too much longer that we will be getting all our tickets in the mail or e-mail. Big bro is watching and needs the dough.

RT1
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    Our town is starting up sending tickets to people that run red lights.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited February 2008
    Let's be honest: Posted speed limits mean different things in different parts of the country. In small hamlets you can be pulled over for going 5 mph over. In certain areas of the northeast and around Chicago, if you're going less than 10mph OVER the limit, you're actually a road hazard by going too slow for the flow of traffic.

I remember the first time I drove from NYC up to Boston back in the 1980s. The posted speed limits were 55mph. I was doing 70. People were blowing past me at 80-90 mph like I was standing still. It scared the living hell out of me.

In some places, posted speed limits are merely a formality. In others they are veritably gospel.

It's up to YOU to know which is which, if you feel like rolling the dice.

All that said, around here there's a saying that I heard a police officer use once: "At nine, you're fine. At ten, you're MINE!"

When I'm out on the interstate, I generally keep the cruise control at 73-74 (65 the posted limit).
  • cjpre4
    cjpre4 Posts: 20
    edited February 2008
    As a N.C. driver, you have a couple of options. You can, as a very last resort use your prayer of judgement, or confess to a lesser charge, such as improper equipment. YOU NEED TO ALWAYS LET YOUR *ATTORNEY do this for you. If you go before the traffic court and plea your case and lose. You will have to pay your court cost as well as increased insurance cost.
    It is very likely that an *Attorney can get you off with a couple of points that will not effect your insurance cost.
    I was caught doing 80mph in a 55mph zone on US 52 south. It was reduced by an *attorney ( cost $230 ) to improper equipment with 1 point on my license with no insurance increase.

*Go see an Attorney, it won't cost you to ask what they can do for you.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2008
    audiobliss,

Is there any way to tell if the radar gun is off in its reading? Maybe you got lucky and the radar gun wasn't calibrated properly, and was reading over. But I would assume you need a lawyer to take care of this...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    audiobliss,

Is there any way to tell if the radar gun is off in its reading? Maybe you got lucky and the radar gun wasn't calibrated properly, and was reading over. But I would assume you need a lawyer to take care of this...

I told him this but AB is lazy and didn't want to investigate to see if it was calibrated properly. I had a friend that investigated this on his ticket and the ticket ended up being tossed it the trash in court because proper maintenence wasn't done on the radar gun.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    My final suggestion when all is said and done.....sell the RED Jeep and buy a silver or white or lighter colored jeep. I bet if your truck wasn't red you wouldn't have been pulled over.

Since I got my white car I just drive as fast and never even get looked at. A fast moving red vehicle just screams pull me over.

OR

You could just slow down and continue driving your red toy truck.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited February 2008
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=579512&postcount=64

Last big paragraph, I did a project on how to fight a ticket once...only got a A- because I spoke to much and was over the time limit.

On red cars, I never understood why this myth is so pervasive. Forum members seem to trust Snopes, Snopes article.
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    My final suggestion when all is said and done.....sell the RED Jeep and buy a silver or white or lighter colored jeep. I bet if your truck wasn't red you wouldn't have been pulled over.

Since I got my white car I just drive as fast and never even get looked at. A fast moving red vehicle just screams pull me over.

OR

You could just slow down and continue driving your red toy truck.

I guess it's human nature to be attracted to RED things over light colored things. I mean, no offense, but imagine a scenario in which a cop sees two cars speeding: a red Mustang and a white minivan, who's he going to pull over? They were both going the same speed...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited February 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    I mean, no offense, but imagine a scenario in which a cop sees two cars speeding: a red Mustang and a white minivan, who's he going to pull over? They were both going the same speed...

The problem here is that you're projecting your own bias onto the police officer. *YOU* would inherently stop the red mustang, therefore that is what everyone else would do. Not necessarily so...
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    polksda wrote: »
    The problem here is that you're projecting your own bias onto the police officer. *YOU* would inherently stop the red mustang, therefore that is what everyone else would do. Not necessarily so...

Well, I read that in an article: http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/how-to-avoid-a-speeding-ticket/20070621101709990001

It says, "It may not be fair, but it's human nature to notice things that stand out from the crowd. Bright-colored cars, those with loud exhaust or other pimped-out enhancements are the cars more likely to draw a cop's initial attention than ordinary-looking, family-type cars. Since the cop has to single out one car, which car do you suppose is the likely candidate for a speeding ticket? The bright yellow Mustang GT with 20-inch chrome rims? Or the silver Taurus?"
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    So audiobliss,

Did you ever get this resolved?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1