Heard of Polk Audio Designs?

2»

Comments

• Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited February 2008
    I have a few questions that I'd like for you to chew on. They are:

1) Have you ever heard of the brand "Polk Audio Designs" before seeing this post?

No. but it reminds me of TAD. Tube Audio Design. Not in the same ballpark but that’s what I think of.

2) What do think we had in mind in creating the brand (position, products, distribution, customer, etc.)?

I’m not sure what you had in mind. As for you position in the in the market place or the “consumer perception” of Polk Audio, I think you are trying to raise peoples perception or expectations of Polk Audio to the next level.

3) What do you think of the idea?

I’m not sure. I think the “Polk Audio” name is already branded very well and this may confuse the average consumer when making a purchase decision.

4) Do you think it reflects on the Polk Audio brand? If so, in what way(s)?

Yes. Polk Audio Designs will obviously reflect the Polk Audio brand, but I’m not sure if it will be in a positive way. The fact is that we are all biased to Polk Audio as a forum in general and you may need to conduct a focus group study with the general public.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Al
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited February 2008
    1) Have you ever heard of the brand "Polk Audio Designs" before seeing this post?

No. Russman was keeping the fact that his MiDock says "Polk Audio Designs" a secret, so I'm blaming him.

2) What do think we had in mind in creating the brand (position, products, distribution, customer, etc.)?

It sounds like you are aiming to associate the Polk Audio name recognition and experience with products or services that would not fall strictly in the speaker category, but are audio-related.

The MiDock, for instance.

With their experience, Polk Audio recognizes that people with Ipod's may want something other than earbuds with which to listen to their 1000's of Mp3's (downloaded legally, of course). At the office, for instance.
    Polk Audio sees that there is a market, sees that they could address this market with a quality product, sees that they could make a profit at this venture, and does so.

Folks going to make a purchase of this type of system would, hopefully, see the "Polk Audio Designs" tag at the store and make a purchase based upon the security of the name "Polk" over other competing brands.
    Those competing brands might be cheaper ("Westinghouse" !), or more expensive (Sony, Bose, etc); the deciding factor for the consumer would be the solid reputation of the Polk name itself.

"Yeah, honey, I know the MiDock's a little more expensive than the *fill in the blank*, but it's built like a tank, and it's cheaper than the Bose and does more !".

Done correctly, it is a good idea.

A rising tide raises all boats, and the "Polk Audio" and "Polk Audio Designs" could build on and feed each other.

However, you have to take care not to dilute the value of the name recognition.
    If you decide to license/brand/badge everything under the sun, than that's not good.
    "Polk Audio Designs Medicated Boil Salve" is not a good idea (no matter how much Justin plugs the idea ;) ).

Yes, just by the commonly shared name, "POLK", so you have to take care and measure twice before cutting once on badging something.

A person who's had a pleasant "MiDock" experience might see some Polk speakers at Best Buy while shopping for something else, and stop for a listen.
    "Hey, honey ! You know my Ipod dock thing ? Hey, the folks that make that also make these Lsi speakers !! Pretty cool, huh ?!".

Over-simplified, to be sure, but that's the drift.

Keep your feet on the ground, keep your core group solid (Polk Audio), but don't be afraid to make some reaches with Polk Audio Designs.
    Sal Palooza
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    kab wrote: »
    I have a few questions that I'd like for you to chew on. They are:

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Al

1. No

2. Not a clue, never heard of it. Sounds like it could be something high end or sounds like it could be an offshoot of the major company to test high risk products in the marketplace. If they fail, no big loss to the Polk name.

3. No idea

4. Not sure?