Vista OEM?

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Has anyone tried the OEM System builder version of Vista? I'm thinking of grabbing a second copy and am wondering if I can get away with the OEM version.

It says taht it's not transferrable to another computer, but what about upgrading the computer that it's on? It looks like it's tied to the motherboard itself - can anyone confirm?

if I put Vista on my machine and my botherboard dies in six months, am I screwed, or can I call Microsoft and have them reactivate the product on the new motherboard?

I've seen articles online speculating both ways, so am hoping someone here knows
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited February 2008
    I have a similar experience with XP when the motherboard died. When I put in the new board and started the system, I got a dialog box for re-activation with a 1800 Microsoft number. I called and the automated system generated the activation key for me.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited February 2008
    The OEM version is meant for system builders. This means they don't want it being installed on other systems.

So if you get the OEM version, they only want you to install it on that one computer. Upgrade or full installation doesn't matter. You're free to upgrade the computer as well, you just may need to call Microsoft at some point to let them know you need to be activated again. If you replace your motherboard you should still be good.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited February 2008
    Cool, yeah more sources seem to indicate that I'll be ok with a motherboard swap than not, so I'm assuming that's correct...

Thanks