MM124 hitting grill in box

Kenny W
Kenny W Posts: 8
edited December 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok i bought the MM124 in the custom enclosure with the grill and i run it with a Rockford Fosgate 800.2 amp from a Pioneer DEH-P8400MP head unit. i noticed that at somewhat high volumes the subwoofer hits the grill over it, and then the bass gets distorted. I know that this should not happen, especially since I'm not running the max that the sub is supposed to be able to handle. Is this an issue other people have had? I was wondering if there was a recall for this or if it's just the way it is. I ran the same amp with 2 Infinity Reference 12's and they were just as loud as the MOMO with half the power...so I know that the MOMO should be able to get a lot louder than it is, but I'm afraid to hurt the sub. What's going on?
What's that nasty rattle? Oh, its a Civic.
Post edited by Kenny W on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2002
    the momo takes more power to get loud than the infinity's do... also... its one of two things.. either the speaker is one of the momo's that was recalled due to faulty surround (in which case it would slap the grille like that)... or, you are underpowering it -- if its the 800.2 that is 400 x 2 bridged then 400 is a bit weak for the momo 12 -- 550 - 650 is more about what makes them happy... more than anything.. CLEAN power is what's important. 400 clean watts is louder / tighter than 600 dirty ones.

call up polk, if its got a seriel number, nun it by them and see what the deal is.. its probably one of the recall ones.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Kenny W
    Kenny W Posts: 8
    edited November 2002
    its bridged so its getting the 800 watts, but if its faulty i dont know if theyll fix it for me because i bought it from an unauthorized dealer online from ebay.

my invoice says september 17...kinda close to the time that the subs were recalled.
    What's that nasty rattle? Oh, its a Civic.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2002
    well actually -- i'm not sure about technically / legally... but morally, if it is one of the recalled subs, they should replace it.

I can understand a manufacturer refusing warranty repair on an item not bought from an authorized dealer, but refusing a recall is anohter thing.

When a car company issues a recall, whether you bought the car from one of their dealers or you bought it used from even an individual, they honor the recall.

There's a difference between warranty repair and an intrinsic defect in a product.

However, you're right, legally / technically, they may not have to take care of it.

I dunno -- I've put together a 7,500 dollar audio system in my truck, and 80% of it is ebay ... so i ended up paying half to 60% of retail for all new product. In my eyes, it was worth it. But you have to watch out. Ebayers often dont sell A stock product. Example.. my two mtx 81000d amps... both are from ebay.... one does 1202 rms with 1.03 % thd... the other does 1147 rms with 1.7% thd. Now fact is.. the first one is average, while the second one is B stock. The average 81000d is 1200 - 1250 with 1.0 - 1.25 % thd.. everything below that goes to second rate wholesalers.

you get what you pay for.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2002
    The nice thing about Polk is that they stand behind their products. Thats partly why I use their AMR130 pc speakers and have 2 pairs of R15's, CSI20 and a PSW404 for my home theater setup. The other is Polk has very good sound quality for the money.
    As a testament to Polk quality. I built a box for my previous car to hold 2 12" EXII's. Sealed and was running an MTX 3002 amp. Made at least 200 watts rms per channel. I was playing around with the Bass Boost. 18db at 45hz. Had a strange noise from the subs. Turns out it wasnt the subs. I cracked the back wall of the sub box. The box was made of 5/8" PB, indivdually sealed chambers. Bought a Q-logic box and kept the subs for about 3 or 4 years. Sold them to a local stereo shop. Still in use today the last time I heard.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing