new car, new install, new amp

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
So i've decided to sell my Accord and step up to an '05 Infinity G35 Coupe. I make decent money now, and figure that at 100k miles on the accord, it wouldn't be worth the upkeep. Besides, i can snag 10g's for it if i act fast.
Great, considering i only paid around 12g's for it, and shoved about 65k on it in 5 years, lol.
So

I am thinking about this setup:
Alpine cda 9857 taken from old ride.
Polk SR 6.5'' Front Stage
Polk SR 10'' Sub, sealed, in trunk
Monster wires, or whatever, don't matter to me
AND:
I need advice on a nice 5 channel amp. I just want to simplify things on the tuning end, i'm honestly sick of having multiple amps.
On the plus side, i may very well put up my C400.4, and Alpine MRP-M450 up on the market, if anyone would be interested in the next 3 months or so, let me know, i'll make sure you get first dibs.

what do you guys think about this setup, and also, who makes some quality 5 channel amps. Will a 5 ch be enough to power the sub?
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like a promising setup. The SR subs can handle a decent amount of power. If I recall correctly, the new line of polk amps includes a pretty mean 5-channel amplifier :)

edit:
    the new Polk 5-channel model is PA1100.5
    85 x 4 @ 4 ohms + 600 x 1 @ 1 ohms
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited February 2008
    where can i find that new polk amp? they don't even have it on their site yet...guessing it comes out in 08 sometime, maybe end of year?:confused:
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited February 2008
    yeah, its not available yet. I believe its supposed to be coming out some time this summer.

Here is the line of amps:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/product-sheets/PAamps.pdf
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2008
    ilikesound wrote: »
    So i've decided to sell my Accord and step up to an '05 Infinity G35 Coupe. I make decent money now, and figure that at 100k miles on the accord, it wouldn't be worth the upkeep. Besides, i can snag 10g's for it if i act fast.
    Great, considering i only paid around 12g's for it, and shoved about 65k on it in 5 years, lol.
    So

I am thinking about this setup:
    Alpine cda 9857 taken from old ride.
    Polk SR 6.5'' Front Stage
    Polk SR 10'' Sub, sealed, in trunk
    Monster wires, or whatever, don't matter to me
    AND:
    I need advice on a nice 5 channel amp. I just want to simplify things on the tuning end, i'm honestly sick of having multiple amps.
    On the plus side, i may very well put up my C400.4, and Alpine MRP-M450 up on the market, if anyone would be interested in the next 3 months or so, let me know, i'll make sure you get first dibs.

what do you guys think about this setup, and also, who makes some quality 5 channel amps. Will a 5 ch be enough to power the sub?

As much as I approve of the concept (I have a soft spot for the G35s too) and the proposed gear, they're not the easiest vehicle to adapt an aftermarket audio system into. The HU will be the primary problem- don't know if they make an install kit to adapt a DIN aftermarket unit gracefully into the G35's dash- the OEM excuse for a head unit is rather "integrated" in a way that makes swapping one out a challenge.

You may be stuck using the factory HU with an "integration solution" type of product (RF 3Sixty, JL Cleansweep, etc.) unless major surgery is in your G35's future. While you're at it, the SR subs are nice, but you may want to consider stepping up to the 12" version since the additional enclosure volume required for the extra 2" of cone displacement the SR124 offers is negligible.

The Polk amps are sure to be decent...Audison makes some amps including a 5 channel that are top shelf, but unfortunately have a price tag to match. Given the price, I'd be looking at solutions in separate amplifier chassis for both front stage and sub- it's generally cheaper and more flexible should you eventually want to upgrade either for additional power.
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited February 2008
    i got a rockford fosgate power 1000 25 to life amp for my girls car and it is awsome! the birthsheet states 115 wattsx4 into 4 ohms and 920x1 watts into 1 ohm. its a 5 channel amp with the sub amp being a d class so its efficient. it might be alittle big for a g35 though. here's a link.

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Rockford_Fosgate_Power1000_25_To_LIFE/
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage