rear channels

Cybernetik
Cybernetik Posts: 18
edited December 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
I finished wiring my system today and got to fire it up. It already sounds awesome (break-in volume) but I've got two minor problems. My PSOne in the glovebox won't power on - I'll figure that out tommorow. And I'm not getting any sound out of the factory rear deck speakers. I had planned on using the receiver's rear channels to push them with bass blockers attached for rear fill because they are awesome factory speakers (99 Prelude SH), but could it be possible that because I'm using the front and subwoofer pre-amps the rear lines are disabled? Any ideas?
Post edited by Cybernetik on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2002
    i doubt using preouts would ever diable the deck power--- that seems odd... maybe you've got a hookup problem somewhere. i'd start tracing wires.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • automaticman
    automaticman Posts: 21
    edited December 2002
    By ay chance is your head unit a Pioneer? Maybe a deh-p4400 or 6400?
  • Cybernetik
    edited December 2002
    No, it is a Blaupunkt San Jose. I don't think I could have gotten the wiring wrong from the receiver to the wiring harness but I haven't had a chance to trace the wiring yet. This receiver is loaded with awesome features for the price but the bugs in it are unacceptable. ie: I'm playing a song with the engine off and then when I start the engine the track info remains the same even though a different song will start playing. But it is even worse now. It takes about 30 seconds to get any CD to load without spitting it back out and once I couldn't get the CD out without needle nose pliers. I'm not sure if I just got a bad unit or what but I'm never buying Blaupunkt again.:supermad:
  • Cybernetik
    edited December 2002
    From what I've read on this forum (mostly from Vinnie I think) I want to get an Alpine head unit now. :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2002
    Was there any kind of premium system? If so, you have to power the OEM amps to get the rears working.
  • Cybernetik
    edited December 2002
    Thanks Josh!!!
    That's got to be it. Any advice on how that is accomplished?:confused:
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2002
    forget powering the OEM amps --- that's a god*amn exercise in futility... justbypass them... chances are your factory speakers, even in an upgraded system are like only 60 rms or so... so if you have a halfway decent deck that you didn't buy from your local Kraco / Sparco / Jensen dealer, then you will have at least like 25 x 4 true rms... which is good enough.

So how ?? -- easy -- just run new wire -- get some 18 or 20 gauge speaker wire from radio shack on the 100 foot roll so you have enough to strangle the guy who designs blaupunkt stuff after you're all done.

then just run wire from your deck's output (that used to be wired to the harness) directly to the back of each speaker.. this will require you to pull off door panels and what not - but at least you'll know its done right and wont have to go to bed in tears wondering whether or not you're whole world is going to hell...

note - i went to bed crying and thinking my world went to hell last night after i sat there going "wait -- were the parking lights positive or negative trigger????" so now my girlfriend is not allowed to use her headlights until i can check her car out again because i'm afraid she's going to blow a whole mess of fuses.
    i do crappy installs when i've had one too many molsen and one to few hours of sleep.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge