DIY speaker kit.

SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Something you guys may not know about me is that I like to create sculptures. It's something I've been doing since whenever I gained the ability to remember. I've decided to adapt this hobby to my audio philia. Thus, I want to build a set of Monitors. I'm thinking bigger than smaller. Can anyone recommend anything? They need to sound pretty good. In the end I'd like to add my own touch to the cabinets to make them really different.

If possible, I would like a full kit with cabinets and all.

thanks for the help.
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    Buy a old pair of Tannoy Reds, Golds, or HPD drivers and crossovers. Plenty of cabinet plans out there.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2008
    You can browse the kits at madisound.com! I've been up to their store in WI and they have some great sounding kits. Also, if you pick out your drivers, they have a service that will design the x-over and the cabinets for you.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited February 2008
    I would look at the Modula MT designed by Jon Marsh. I'm building its big brother the Modula MTM. The MT is high bang for the buck! Around $225 for driver and xover parts.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=13154

The one thing to keep in mind with DIY speaker kits is that the speaker is designed around a certain baffle size. I believe it is only the baffle width that matters the most, as you can usually build floorstanding versions of bookshelf speakers as long as you keep the baffle width the same.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited February 2008
    Don't know what your budget is but I think these would be awesome at a very good price.

http://www.selahaudio.com/id124.html

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited February 2008
    tryrrthg wrote: »
    I would look at the Modula MT designed by Jon Marsh. I'm building its big brother the Modula MTM. The MT is high bang for the buck! Around $225 for driver and xover parts.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=13154

The one thing to keep in mind with DIY speaker kits is that the speaker is designed around a certain baffle size. I believe it is only the baffle width that matters the most, as you can usually build floorstanding versions of bookshelf speakers as long as you keep the baffle width the same.

Along with internal volume.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited February 2008
    Rather than a kit, why not try doing a complete build yourself? Head on over to diyaudio.com and check out both the loudspeaker area (multi-way designs) and fullrange area (single full range drivers, which might better be described as wide-range.)

I have built a pair of the Metronomes w/ Fostex FE108esig drivers and am almost finished w/ a pair of Half Changs w/ Fostex FE206e drivers. You may be surprised at how much speaker you get for modest $$.

If you want something large, try a BIB (bigger is better.) If you want something modern looking w/ high WAF, try a Metronome. Looking for a complex, challenging build, try a Frugel Horn. Just remember that the driver has to be matched w/ the enclosure--dimensions are critical! And there is often a need for a baffle step correction circuit (pretty easy to calculate if you don't see one already recommended, and a no-brainer to build.)

Warning: speaker building can be addictive!

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2008
    See my Fostex BIB in the flea market!

Also check out Jordan JX-92s.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i