Finally free from the wrath of Nextel!

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
After a customer for a little over 8 years....I was finally fed up with the service that i canceled it. After all the freebies and promotions they gave me to stay I just couldn't take it any more. I wasn't aware but the sprint nextel merger really meant nothing for nextel customers. Apparently nextel customers can only use nextel towers whereas sprint customers can now use sprint towers AND nextel towers. No wonder my service never improved.

So I called sprint, told them I want to cancel in favor of Blackberry from another service provider. They ended up offering me everything I wanted for only $5 more a month. Before I had nextel phone service(500 minutes), unlimited text messages, no unlimted weekends, no unlimited nights, and no long distance. I now have 450 whenever minutes, unlimited web, unlimited email, unlimited text messaging, free nights starting at 7pm, free weekends, unlimited nationwide long distance, instant messanger, etc. I ended up getting the Blackberry 8830.

SP8830RIM_LPI.gif

Can't wait...should be here within 2 days...maybe tomorrow. :D
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited February 2008
    I'm posting this from my blackberry now. You'll love the phone. I have the curve with gps and all that, by far the best phone I"ve ever had. They got the call quality perfect on this one, much better than the earlier models...

I'm an ATT guy myself, but you will love the phone.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    I heard through the grapevine that Nextel sales people turn into psychopaths and won't leave you alone once you cancel service. I suggest doing a search on some internet forums or groups for possible help and tips in dealing with these psychopaths!

There might be a group or two maybe on Yahoo dealing with this area.

Just looking out for a fellow Polkie! ;)
    No excuses!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    Been a Sprint customer since 1996. Besides a couple of bumps in the road for almost 12 years of service, I can't complain. It was nice when they picked up NEXTEL because coverage areas grew rapidly. The only places I don't get signals are in the shielded buildings at work. But I got me a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 from Sprint last November and I couldn't be happier with it! Service is awesome and just for **** and giggles I priced out the BlackBerry plans for other companies like Cingular/AT&T, Verizon and a couple of other smaller carriers in the area and Sprint had them beat hands down. I get twice as many options on the plan for about 30 bucks a month. Most other plans offer half as much for $45-$60 a month over your regular cellphone bill. My monthly charges are about $65 for my cellphone and the BlackBerry plan combined.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited February 2008
    Sprint, T Mobile and Verizon are all cheaper than ATT down here in Texas, but only by a few bucks. I don't get Sprint where I live very well, otherwise I may be a customer. I won't do T mobile again, and Verizon isn't cheaper enough to warrant the switch from ATT. Maybe it's better up North, but in my area the Sprint and To Mobile coverage doesn't come close to comparintg with Verizon or ATT.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    agreed polkmaniac. that's why im on at&t. im posting this from my new Tilt. awesome phone!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    This is great news, glad everyone is happy with their blackberry service. I couldn't deal with nextel a day longer!

Can anyone tell me how the GPS service works? Is it included with the blackberry plan? I got the unlimited blackberry plan......

I have a tomtom...I probably should see how this works and it might even be worth it to sell the tomtom!

Thanks,

BL
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited February 2008
    It is going to depend on your carrier. With ATT we have a service called TeleNav that they charge 10 bucks a month for. Instead, I just downloaded Google Maps for free and use that. It installs on my phone with no issues or hacks required...

You don't get voice directions, but I don't like that anyway.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    have a link to DL that?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    My dad had Nextel for work for a year or so. Worst service he ever had. Not just for coverage, as that is completely region dependent, but he'd sometimes get voicemails DAYS after they were sent. DAYS. And he was using this phone for his business! Hell, Nextel marketed almost solely FOR business. He had a host of other problems that I can't remember, but I do remember the whole thing being a nightmare, and ridiculously expensive. This was 3-4 years ago, so maybe they've improved, but I wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    This is great news, glad everyone is happy with their blackberry service. I couldn't deal with nextel a day longer!

Can anyone tell me how the GPS service works? Is it included with the blackberry plan? I got the unlimited blackberry plan......

I have a tomtom...I probably should see how this works and it might even be worth it to sell the tomtom!

Thanks,

BL

IIRC, your TeleNav is included in your BlackBerry plan from Sprint. Even if you did have to pay for it, it's only like $5.99 a month. Check your plan.

But I use my TeleNav all the time, even just to test it sometimes. It is VERY accurate, down to a few feet. Also, if you check out the Maps feature, it should give you a bunch of different options on Map viewing. Also, the Compass feature will give you your GPS coordinates of where ever you are.

Yeah, BlackBerrys rule!

The hell with the iPhone! I can do all that and more and I don't have to get greasy finger prints all over my phone to do it either!

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Awesome jstas, i can't wait.

Anyone have the 8830?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Just found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Defender-Black-OtterBox-Case-for-BlackBerry-Curve_W0QQitemZ280200074926QQihZ018QQcategoryZ108606QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone use a case like that? I figure it woudl be good for when I just toss the phone in my pocket with my keys and stuff. No scratches. :D
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2008
    I had Nextel for approximately 3 years and it drove me bonkers..........I am convinced that 75% of road rage, domestic violence issues, etc. can be directly attributed to Nextel customers repeatedly dropping calls. :eek: (I am joking, of course). I have switched to AT&T and have nowhere near the service or billing problems that I had with Nextel.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited February 2008
    8830? Nice. Sprint's 8830 works on CDMA and GSM though I'm not sure about AT&T's. I'm currently with Sprint using my Mogul but I have to say their customer service really sucks. Once my contract runs out, I want to move onto Sony's X1 on T-Mobile's (or AT&T's) network :)

Anyway, my girlfriend swears by Blackberry devices and they seem to work pretty well. I prefer Windows Mobile devices but that's mostly because I know how to develop applications for my phones. The TeleNav service works great but you do have to pay additional money per month. It may be worth it to you though. I know T-Mobile offers a trial of TeleNav so I would assume AT&T does as well so you can at least give it a shot.
    Just found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Defender-Black-OtterBox-Case-for-BlackBerry-Curve_W0QQitemZ280200074926QQihZ018QQcategoryZ108606QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone use a case like that? I figure it woudl be good for when I just toss the phone in my pocket with my keys and stuff. No scratches. :D
    My girlfriend has the 8800 and loves the case it came with. You might want to try out the case before you buy another one.

IMO I never liked cases like the above but my Daduses them all the time so I think it depends on what you like.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    The X1 looks like a really cool phone... if only Sony didn't make it. Blech.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Kris, Mine phone is with sprint so the navigation is included with the plan.

I will wait and see what case comes with the phone...if any. It seems providers are skimping on accessories that are included lately....
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    The TeleNav service works great but you do have to pay additional money per month. It may be worth it to you though. I know T-Mobile offers a trial of TeleNav so I would assume AT&T does as well so you can at least give it a shot.

Well, two things. Number one he's not on T-Mobile or AT&T, he's on Sprint. His plan is very similar to mine and use of the TeleNav is included in the monthly BlackBerry plan. I don't pay extra for it like other services do. He probably doesn't either. Many of the things that the other services charge you for Sprint includes in the different plans for the BlackBerry package.

• Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited February 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    he's on Sprint.

Yup, realized this after I posted. I have no idea where I got that from either :confused:

oh well!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    I've been a loyal spring customer since.... oh... about 1992.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited February 2008
    Cody, brose to this address on your phone:

www.google.com/gmm
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    rskarvan wrote: »
    I've been a loyal spring customer since.... oh... about 1992.

That's fantastic Ron, would you like a cookie? Or even better...........PIE

Mmmmm yessssss......piiieee.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    That's fantastic Ron, would you like a cookie? Or even better...........PIE

Mmmmm yessssss......piiieee.

I'll take a nice slice of warm Pecan with Vanilla ice cream. Thank you.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    What you mean is your finally free from the wrath of Sprint Nextel and happy with Sprint Nextel......again.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    What you mean is your finally free from the wrath of Sprint Nextel and happy with Sprint Nextel......again.

Negative! I am free from Nextel Sprint and now happy with Sprint Nextel. I was never unhappy with the customer service....only the reception.
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2008
    It's not really about semantics but if that helps you sleep. Sprint will do ANYTHING to reduce churn so it's no suprise to me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Mark, the price they offered me wasn't even remotely close to what other carriers wanted. It was so much cheaper I couldn't say no. I'll try it out for 30 days, if I don't like it.....send it back and switch carriers.
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2008
    I'm not saying you won't be happy and that's a nice phone. Once you switch, you NEVER go back to Nextel.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    I HATE Sprint & nextel. I had Sprint for 4.5 years, then I moved, and gave them my address change verbally, written, and via email. For 5 months I was getting late fees because they weren't sending the bills to my new addy. Yet, EVERYTIME I called, they would read back the correct address! When I finally cancelled they didn't offer ****
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited February 2008
    I've heard lots of horror stories with Sprint Customer Service from friends, but sure it can't be THAT bad...
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Never an issue with sprint customer service. Can't complain about their CS and that's why I switched to Sprint from Nextel.