car parts are they really this expensive??

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
so i'm told my car (97' Mazda 626 V6 2.5L) needs a new EGR value unit.. price $950 :eek: :eek: :eek: shipped from a small village in the Andes Mountains, 6 - 10 days shipping.. they only make a few of these i understand :confused::confused: :eek:

my friend who works at a parts store looked it up.. he can get me one for 1K WTF??????

is this normal? an older car with parts costing close to 1K for a part? I fully admit, i'm not up on fixing cars myself. but I think i'm going to have to go to a salvage yard and find one instead. for a lot less hopefully.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2008
    Dang that's expensive!

Not knowing much about cars, I'd think that car parts are usually expensive. But I may be wrong though. My friend has a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo and it needs a new transmission - it turns out that the parts alone cost $2500!

I wouldn't know what to tell ya...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    a tranny i can understand costing that much.. but one small part? i found one on Ebay new for $301 at least that's easier to swallow a big pill
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2008
    prob is, used part on ebay can go as fast as yours did. tough call. try researching the part itself, finding a 626 chat board (don't laugh, its probably out there) to see if its a common problem. the rule is, the more obscure the part, the more expensive it is. part a car out, and it's three times as much as it's worth usually

this is the downside to **** cars, while they are usually quite reliable, when an obscure part goes, the 1000 tiny part issue has a distinct possibility of arising

good luck brotha
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited February 2008
    I called Autozone and they said they can order one for $239. About 2 days since it would be coming from dallas.
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    LOL yeah I just found a Mazda 626 forum.. like this one. they know their **** too. :)

www.mazda626.net
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    That 2.5L V6 has what is known as the Variable Resonance Induction System (VRIS).

From Wikipedia:
    A series of two butterfly valves coupled with electronically controlled actuators varied the volume and length of a resonant chamber attached to the intake manifold, producing 4 resonant frequencies. The valves actuate at particular engine frequencies (i.e. RPMs) to produce optimal torque/horsepower output at any given engine speed.

The EGR valve is probably so expensive because IIRC, it comes as an integrated part of a manifold for this VRIS system which is why it costs so much. You should be able to just order the valve and replace it without replacing the whole manifold. Then that all depends on how the EGR valve went bad.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    Oh and Autozone has the EGR valve on the website for $238.99 from either Wells or Duralast.

Wells or Duralast part number: EGR294

O.E.M. Part Number: #KL01-20-300C

Take that O.E.M. part number to any parts store and they should be able to interchange it to whatever brand they carry without a problem. If they can't, give them the Duralast EGR294 number and they should be able to transfer it to whatever number for the parts company that they carry.

The $950 part is probably a dealer or Mazda part price and it probably comes with other stuff attached like an actuator, manifold and valve body for the fancy-pants valving system the VRIS system has.

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    Get one out of a wrecked 626 in a junk yard. If the car was wrecked... odds are the EGR valve was just fine. Rear/side collisions would be best.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    Oh and this is what your EGR valve should look like:

wl2egr294003.jpg

You'll also want to pick up the gasket. FelPro part number: 70714

This is what it looks like:

fpr70714003.jpg

It's only $2.49 and worth it to make sure the new one doesn't leak with an old gasket and just end up costing you more money and headaches.

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2008
    You know I never had to replace an EGR value I taken many off and cleaned them but knock on wood never replaced one.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008
    That price does sound high. I have a '98 Mazda Protege ES. My family owned a Mazda dealership, and I was told the EGR valve for mine was $460 list, actual dealer cost was $260. I got one for $180 from Autozone.

Dealer prices are usually ridiculous, even if you can get them at cost.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited February 2008
    stealerships are a joke when buying replacement parts or doing out of warranty repair work.....I too have cleaned many many but never had to replace...I also second the junk yard trip.....i have save many $$$$$ pulling a part off a wreck and for the very little it costs you could pull a few.....
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    this is all much better news guys... i like and can work with those prices. thanks John and everyone else.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2008
    Glad you found mazda626.net. I'm a member over there from way back when I was driving around an '86 626. Don't post there anymore, though... that car's been gone for a long time.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited February 2008
    Just disable the EGR. They don't do anything but cause carbon buildup on your intake valves and combustion chambers. The EGR has to be the most retarded device to ever be put on an engine, IMHO.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    Be careful with that. Some state inspections are harder than others. Having a code pop here is enough to make you have to retest if it doesn't clear.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    Be careful with that. Some state inspections are harder than others. Having a code pop here is enough to make you have to retest if it doesn't clear.

same here. but even though i dropped in a new MAF (mass airflow sensor) i still got some code, but the dude was cool and passed me, since he said the car was still within the correct reading limits.