Couple questions about Cingular/IMAP/Gmail

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I just got the new AT&T Tilt and got IMAP configured on it for my gmail account.

Since right now is really the only free time I'm going to have for a while, I was wondering if anyone knew if every time you receive an email, if it will charge you a text message? AT&Ts help part is currently undergoing maintenance so i come to you guys...

Cool phone btw, highly recommended. Cost me $200 with the $30/month data package.
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    200 bucks is a great price for that phone.

Once you've had that phone for a while I'd love to hear your impressions of it, I'm considering it for my next phone.

As for email, if it's downloading it via IMAP, it should count as a data transfer, not a text message. So however big the message is you'll get that much data (plus overhead)... so hopefully you got an unlimited or high-cap data plan.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2008
    Thats what I'm hoping. I wouldve thought the same would be true for things like AIM and yahoo messenger, but they said those are text messages so i wanted to be sure.

I have the unlimited data package and then 200 text messages for $30 and $5 respectively. I had unlimited mobile to mobile and 200 extra text messages for $10, but i never went over 200 messages total, so i switched to the $5 plan so its only about $25 extra/month for me.
    -Cody
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited February 2008
    Have you tried to download the gmail mobile app? I did this for my blackberry, and it works like regular data, and not a text message.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • exalted512
    edited February 2008
    I can open up gmail on my mobile IE??? Otherwise, I have a little thing on my 'Today' menu that lists Gmail and whether or not i have any new messages.
    -Cody
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    There's two options aside from the one you're doing :

- use IE and go to "m.gmail.com". That's their mobile page.
    - download the mobile Gmail application from Google
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2008
    Ahh, yes. You can also go to the bottom and it says 'View Gmail in" with mobile and desktop as the options. I actually prefer the desktop better. But I absolutely love having it on my home screen on my phone if i have any new messages. Hopefully i can keep it that way and not charge me extra for something...
    -Cody