edited December 2002 in Speakers
I have the following equipment:

Mains: RTi70's (bi-wired)
Center: CSi30
Surround: FXi30's
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V630

The receiver has an impedance switch that gives me a choice of 2 settings:

Setting 1
Main Speakers - If one pair of mains, impedance of each speaker must be 4 ohms or higher. If two pairs of mains, impedance of each speaker must be 8 ohms or higher.
Center - Impedance must be 6 ohms or higher.
Surrounds - Impedance must be 6 ohms or higher.

Setting 2
Main Speakers - If one pair of mains, impedance of each speaker must be 8 ohms or higher. If two pairs of mains, impedance of
each speaker must be 16 ohms or higher.
Center - Impedance must be 8 ohms or higher
Surrounds - Impedance must be 8 ohms or higher.

In the hard copy manual that came with my RTi70's the specs state that the impedance is a "nominal 4 ohms" BUT the online manual found on the polk website says that the RTi70's are "compatible with 8 ohm outputs". So I have the following questions:

1. Why the difference between the hard copy and online documentation? Was it a documentation mistake or are the speakers I actually purchased 4 ohm speakers? Were they originally manufactured as 4ohms and then newer versions manufactured as 8 ohms?

2. Does bi-wiring my RTi70's effect the impedance at all? Which impedance setting should I use on my receiver if I have the RTi70's bi-wired?

Would really appreciate your help. I'm a little nervous about powering this system up with the discrepancies in the documentation.
Thanks much!
Post edited by faharsla on

Comments