Panasonic tougbooks

NeilGabriel
NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
One of my clients has these for its business. I thought about getting one for my son's graduation...assuming he actually graduates. Anybody have experience with them? Are they sold to consumers? The website is pretty confusing about this.
Post edited by NeilGabriel on

Comments

• jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited February 2008
    We're using them in the ER at the hospital where I work. They're great from the point of view that they can be wiped down and sanitized very easily. They're also very good with rough handling, although we did kill a hard drive in the test unit after a couple of 5' drops.

Our only complaint is specific to the model we chose. The nurses wanted something small and light, so we went with one of the 12.1" models and the keyboard is entirely too small for normal fingers. Fortunately, the application they use them for most of the time is pen based.

Anyone can buy one. We bought ours through CDW and I'm sure there are many other places to get them.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2008
    the paramedics use them here. Pretty cool machines. the screen swivels and you can sign the screen, they are big and a tad heavy.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited February 2008
    And expensive.

They are as tough as advertised. The ATT tech that set up my dsl dry loop was using one in the rain and it worked just fine.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    We use them at work and they can take some punishment.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited February 2008
    Willow wrote: »
    the paramedics use them here. Pretty cool machines. the screen swivels and you can sign the screen, they are big and a tad heavy.

The ones I am looking at are a little over 3 pounds...expensive, yes! $2000+

There should be refurbished models out there since so many institutions use them.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    The specs will not be top of the line compared to your normal laptops. Not sure if that's a concern for you or not.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited February 2008
    What is he actually going to be doing with the laptop?
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    The DSL guy was using one and dropped it right in front of me from the top of a 6 foot ladder...the laptop didn't break ( And from the previous scuffs on it...he is a regularly clumsy guy ) . Pretty damn tough if you ask me ( Thick and butt ugly...but tough )
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    We use them on the ships at work and the ToughBooks will pass every military standard test with flying colors. They are expensive but they will take the abuse if you need a system that will run in an environment like that.

Otherwise a standard laptop is adequate for most purposes.

As far as buying one on the consumer level, yes they are available but you have to search for them because very few people out there actually need that kind of a system. So the consumer level market is not real big for them. Look on http://www.pricewatch.com and search for Panasonic ToughBook and you will likely find one, either new or refurb, and it will be hard to beat the price you find there too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2008
    I haven't looked at them in a good while, but Dad was considering one for his business as he's relatively hard on laptops. However, they were waaaaay too expensive. Over twice as much for half as much computing power.

It's awesome how tough they are, and if you need that, awesome. But man are they expensive and behind on technology (last I looked).
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • nms
    edited February 2008
    I heard somewhere that Lenovos do pretty well in the durability testing. They once took one in NASA's tank where the train the astronauts and turned it on - it ran for 3 seconds fully submerged!
    My system

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2008
    The only ones I've seen are in cop cars here. They're pretty beefy, but expensive. Overkill for the average user when you can purchase a well made laptop with the same specs for a lot less.

We use lenovo T series laptops at work and they seem to be holding up fairly well. (T42 and T60's)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    Yep, Lenovo benefits alot from IBM's engineering of the ThinkPad which is what most if not all of Lenovo's systems are based on.

Our Dell laptops seem to hold up pretty well logging hundreds of thousands of traveling miles in some cases, all in the hands of clumsy, ham-fisted engineers.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nms
    edited February 2008
    I have a Lenovo T60P and besides a slight overheating issue (which only rears its head when the heatsinks are dusty) it's been very trouble free - never had to send it in for service, and we're approaching the 2 year mark. My only complaint is that since I bought it through my college, they didn't include the OS disk.

I would not hesitate to recommend Lenovos to anyone.
    My system