Happy 80th B-Day Mr. Jackson

George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Some of you guys from the mini-fest I had a few years back will remember the attendance of one Theodore Jackson, my sage neighbor. His wife Erna told me the other day that she's throwing a surprise 80th bash for him at the trendy Italian place (not Russo's) in town. March 1st. For awhile, I was on the hook to keep him occupied for two or three hours. HOWEVER, I begged off that detail cause when she gave him a surprise 70th, I pulled that detail. That was the time we took The Shark up to the Princeton Record Exchange, walked in, and as soon as he went his way and I went mine, I left. Went out shopping in the little groovy downtown area. Had coffee and ****. Went back and he was still looking through the R & B, so I left again and had more coffee. I had to do that to him cause of the time period I had to work with. I had to jam him up from about 4-7PM, which is tough for a 70 year old guy with a regular regimen. Anyhow I was convinced that this time he'd know something was up so they have somebody else laying a smokescreen.

He can't drink rum the way he did when we first met. Man, that was at the height of my Panama runs and I was coming home with huge amounts of Ron Abuelo for the both of us. Now he's more of a red wine guy. We sit in my backyard with the outdoor fireplace thing on, and sometimes he has me howling with some of his stories from when he was in the Air Force overseas. You'd be hard pressed to find a man who knows more about R & B, and a lot of jazz.
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited February 2008
    Great story!
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2008
    Great story George. Friends like that are worth their weight in gold. Happy Birthday Mr. J.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    He is the first guy out in the neighborhood to remove snow. He mows twice a week. He still works a couple mornings delivering bread for the trendy Italian place. When he retired from the Air Force after twenty years, he got a job and worked long enough for the BX system to warrant a pension from them as well. After that, he got a job at Deborah Heart and Lung Center near here, and worked long enough to get a pension FROM THEM TOO! He is generous like you wouldn't believe. I can't remember how many times he's walked in here with something like a large bag of chicken **** or cherries cause it was on sale at the commissary. His pool parties are the highlight of every summer season. There is so much food and drink it's unbelieveable. He is a diehard Eagles fan, and one season-ticket holding, regular tailgating no matter the weather guy, in his pimped out mini EaglesVan. 80 years old and all he wants to know is where the party is. You rarely meet an individual who has lived life so fully, and given so much along the way.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2008
    What a gem of a a guy and of course he lives in your neck of the woods!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like a great guy.Todays youth looks at old people and they see,well,old people.I look at them,as a walking history lesson.I always take the time to talk to my elders or even strangers,they all have a unique story to tell.Love the **** out of older people.Consider yourself lucky George.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2008
    ah yes, remember him well. 80? sheesh, the man is pretty spry for that age from what I remember. doesnt sound like he slowed much

tell him happy B day for me
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like a cool guy. Wish him a happy b-day for me.