my scary carport...

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I have to think twice about parking under this thing when there's snow on it... It bows under its own weight....

100_3775.sized.jpg
From the front...

100_3779.sized.jpg
From the back

100_3780.sized.jpg
Noticible bow. Guess that's what you get with a 10 foot span supported by 2x4's.

100_3782.sized.jpg
We don't need no stinkin' joist hangers!

100_3783.sized.jpg
Not sure what they thought was going on here...

100_3784.sized.jpg
Quite a bit of gap... bet that's holding a lot.

100_3785.sized.jpg
Hey look! A 2x6!

100_3788.sized.jpg
Showing the main "supports"

100_3787.sized.jpg
The metal ones are "okay", I guess.

100_3786.sized.jpg
But what the hell is the 4x4 doing? Nothing!

*sigh*... Just another thing on the to-do list for the house. Do I rebuild the carport, or hold out for a garage? I don't even know that I can build a garage there due to setback lines and such. I don't know what our borough allows.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    My recommendation would be to contact the governing office (tax assessor?)for your town/ county and check to see if any restrictions apply. IF PA is anything like MA, your probably gonna find the local politburo with their hands out-permits, surveyors, 'right of way' waivers, town board/council meetings, etc.
    NOT saying it can't be done, just recommending finding out 1st before you start soliciting bids and making plans.
    Good luck.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • nadams
    edited February 2008
    Chances are, for as long as I plan to live in this place, a garage isn't in the budget, or really necessary. I wouldn't see the return on it, that's for sure. I only paid 43k for the house... a garage would be probably half that :D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    No guts, no glory.

It'll be fine.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited February 2008
    You could "strongback" the 2x4's to eliminate the sag and provide more load bearing capacity.

Buy some 3 1/2" flashing roll and new 2x4's, screw jack each existing 2x4 up in the center, one at a time, to eliminate sage, tack the sheet metal to its side, then attach an equal length 2x4 over the metal by through nailing or ****.

Couple of hundred dollars, top end, plus some sweat equity = peace of mind.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    Seen worse that was still hard as hell to tear down on purpose...looks like it should be fine.

Not like my rotted fence outside...bought the house brand new 14 years ago and we knew we needed a new fence like 2 years ago. Didnt know how much we needed it till my friends came over to put up the new fence ( I would have done it myself , but no can do at the moment ) and one of them grabbed it at one end and a 60 foot length came down in about 4 good pulls :eek:

Looking at your pics...your neighborhood has no fencing between properties or even the street ? How do you guys keep dogs ? I mean if I let my monsters out and my neighbor let his out at the same time there would be an epic battle. What if you have an **** for a neighbor ? What if you wanted to swim naked or get busy in the hot tub ? I can think of a hundred reasons to HAVE fencing and 0 not to have fencing.

And your house is smack on the corner....main traffic route for cars and pedestrians as well. Does anybody buck the trend and put up fencing, or is it illegal to do so there ?
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    I agree, double up the 2x4's and do the work yourself. For 43k you can't beat that house.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited February 2008
    There are certain home improvements that you actually see a return investment on. Garages and usually kitchen improvements (within reason) are the top two.

But like you said at a buying price of 43,000 a garage would cost a lot. But a single car garage may not be as expensive as you think.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • nadams
    edited February 2008
    Looking at your pics...your neighborhood has no fencing between properties or even the street ? How do you guys keep dogs ? I mean if I let my monsters out and my neighbor let his out at the same time there would be an epic battle. What if you have an **** for a neighbor ? What if you wanted to swim naked or get busy in the hot tub ? I can think of a hundred reasons to HAVE fencing and 0 not to have fencing.

And your house is smack on the corner....main traffic route for cars and pedestrians as well. Does anybody buck the trend and put up fencing, or is it illegal to do so there ?

I'm planning on putting a fence along the alleyway to close off my yard from the alley, as well as between me and the neighbor. I don't have a dog, so that's not an issue for me. The greenish house behind mine, and several others on my block, have chain-link enclosing their back yards. I'm going to go with a nice 6 foot wood fence. It's mostly to keep trash and other undesireables out of my yard. Or at least discourage them.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    Was that metal piece once a bedframe?

Cool old house. How sweet is having a home, for the price of a car.

Currently $43,000 @ 5.25% for 360 months = Monthly Payment $237.45

Smart.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2008
    Sorry about your carport woes Noel!

BlueMDPicker had a couple of good ideas. They should work. The basic problem is the span is too wide for the 2 X 4 joists. 2 X 8 or even 2 X 10 beams would have been better. The header and support are also questionable. There are some relatively simple calculations that you can perform to determine the beam (joist) thickness is you know the span and weight of the roof. You also have to assume some snow and wind load. You could use the help of a couple of local Amish boys. They don't have much professional training but could sure tell you how to fix it so it won't fall down.

Good luck!
    Carl

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2008
    christ, that looks like a carport I would build. this is NOT a good thing mind you :D

probably can just add support as others have mentioned. it has lasted as long as it has, which is saying something I suppose
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited February 2008
    Ditching the carport will raise the value $10k
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    I'd follow Mike's advice: Get rid of the sag, put togther some shims and get the 4x4's against the roofline, basically spend $200 and fix it.

If you need some help one weekend, PM me and I'll try to head up there to help.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2008
    I would just tear the thing down. My guess is your property value would raise if it were not there.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D