SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited February 2008
    I have dial-up so I can't watch the video but kirsch is a white van speaker.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    I demo'd a pair at a local dumpster and it was phenomenal.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I demo'd a pair at a local dumpster and it was phenomenal.

So you were at home?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    Actually, I was down the street, panhandling in the Best Buy parking lot....and became sidetracked by the glorious sounds coming from the rear of the building. I'm very familiar with the rears, of buildings.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2008
    Anybody know why the van has to be white? Why not black or forest green?
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2008
    Some of these guys were at a bank by me. They asked me and I laughed, so they left. I think they could tell I knew what was going on.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    'White van'= camoflage! You tell a cop 'It was guy in white van' chances are he won't even write it down.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited February 2008
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Some of these guys were at a bank by me. They asked me and I laughed, so they left. I think they could tell I knew what was going on.

LOL I had 2 guys stop me as I was leaving the bank....played along for a bit and told them to follow me to my other bank so I could get some cash.....I pulled into the local cop shop by the back way...when they realized where they were :eek: yes thats what their eyes looked like...did a very quick u turn and were gone:D priceless.....................
  • obieone
    edited February 2008
    If that happens to me I'll do the same thing, only call the cops ahead of time, so they can BUST these asswipes!
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited February 2008
    "Kirsch" is the short German name for Cherry Brandy :D
  • obieone
    edited February 2008
    What blows my mind is that this SCAM has been going on since the 70's, and yet there are NIMRODS who still get sucked in?
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited February 2008
    Everyone talks about calling the cops, but in reality, can the cops do anything more than write them a ticket for not having a vendors license?
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited February 2008
    It's not really different then someone paying hundreds of dollars for a rare beanie baby or to pay $1200 for a $400 Xbox because there aren't that many out yet.

If someone is willing and dumb enough to pay that much without doing any research then that sucks for them. Don't be so quick to hang over $500.

I have two other white van stories...but the people were trying to sell me steaks.
    One guy asked me at a gas station as I was pumping gas if I wanted to buy some steaks because he had too many and needed to sell them. Another actually came to my door and gave me the same line. I can only imagine what sort of diseases I'd get from eating those...
  • NotaSuv
    edited February 2008
    ninerbj wrote: »
    Everyone talks about calling the cops, but in reality, can the cops do anything more than write them a ticket for not having a vendors license?

this depends upon local and state laws as they differ from state to state and city to city..but a ticket is better than nothing and at least it makes the cops aware of these jerks and what hey are selling out of
  • NotaSuv
    edited February 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    What blows my mind is that this SCAM has been going on since the 70's, and yet there are NIMRODS who still get sucked in?

yup everyday, just look at the crap they sell on the bay........worse yet is alot of the buyers leave positive feedback as they REALLY think they are getting a $4,000 system for $200.00.......wonder what the system really costs...
  • zx_toth
    zx_toth Posts: 417
    edited February 2008
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    One guy asked me at a gas station as I was pumping gas if I wanted to buy some steaks because he had too many and needed to sell them. Another actually came to my door and gave me the same line. I can only imagine what sort of diseases I'd get from eating those...

LOL ... that is hilarious. Glad you didnt as the next day while eating a steak for supper you would have heard on the 5 o'clock news that there have been a string of neighborhood cats and dogs missing ... you would have either at that point not clued in and enjoyed the juicy and succulent mystery meat or immediately vomitted! ;)

Zsolt
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    if you see or are approached by these guys.. get their car license number and turn it over to the police or your local attorney general's office. they would love to bust them and let the local media know about the bust.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • zx_toth
    zx_toth Posts: 417
    edited February 2008
    What kind of blows my mind is that 'Kircsh' has a website! Posing as a legit 'high end speaker' manufacturer ... thats really bizarre. They even have the inflated prices listed on their product page so when these people who got ripped off try and "research" their purchase they can feel relieved when they see that they are infact listed for 3000$ a pair ... LOL!!! They must however wonder why $3000 speakers suck so much and further think that "Man I must have to spend 10,000$ to get a decent sounding pair if this is only what I can get for retail 3 grand"

http://www.kirschloudspeakers.com/

You would think of course that the next few links that google provides give away the haox ... i.e. Kirch, white van scam, etc.

Z
  • obieone
    edited February 2008
    Yup! It's pretty SAD when you get honorable mention in Wickpedia!LOL
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008
    Sure the speakers are a rip-off, but what is illegal about what they are doing?

The news article kept calling them counterfeit, but they are not using another brands name, so how are they counterfeit?

I have no pity for the fools that buy these. When buying anything, you need to do your research. Bose sells overpriced garbage to people everyday, and I see no investigative reporting done about them.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2008
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Sure the speakers are a rip-off, but what is illegal about what they are doing?

The news article kept calling them counterfeit, but they are not using another brands name, so how are they counterfeit?

I have no pity for the fools that buy these. When buying anything, you need to do your research. Bose sells overpriced garbage to people everyday, and I see no investigative reporting done about them.

They are running a business with no paperwork, sales tax, ETC!!!!!
    Normally these guys look like they just got out of prison.
    The counterfeit part is, many of these speakers are one letter off
    from the real thing.
    We might know the difference, but others may not.
    EBAY and CL sales, are a bit more gray.
    How many times do you see one of these being sold on CL as Polk?
    Too often.

Yes, buying stuff out of the back of a van is stupid. Buying online without a bit of research is also stupid, but in a different way.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    They are running a business with no paperwork, sales tax, ETC!!!!!
    Normally these guys look like they just got out of prison.
    The counterfeit part is, many of these speakers are one letter off
    from the real thing.

Tax fraud I can see, but that's about it. As far as the name being one letter different, that is not counterfeit.

It is mainly peoples own greed, thinking they are getting something for nothing, that makes them easy prey for these sellers.
    How many times do you see one of these being sold on CL as Polk?
    Too often.

Well that is fraud, but not at all what the news story was talking about.
  • Mike Kozak
    Mike Kozak Posts: 931
    edited February 2008
    I could advertise a 1970 chevy and say it has been a great car and not mention that has not been started in 30 years. Caveat Emptor....Buyer beware