2 CHANNEL
Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
Under construction
Post edited by JimBRICK on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2008
    Interesting. I always liked competition, as it is good for the consumer. Looks like they are giving up a bit too soon, IMO.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    white flag after 1 month? oh well. I thought they'd stick it out longer than that.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2008
    I think you'll see some competition among hardware manufacturers with new BD players, however it remains to be seen if the price of the movies will come down.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    Awesome.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Looks like they are giving up a bit too soon, IMO.

Too soon? You been reading the news? They've lost something like 75% of their previous market backing and BlueRay is getting ready to release a next generation of the technology with which HD-DVD can't compete. They are hemorrhaging money because of it and they can't get anyone to buy into it. It's done. Toshiba should get out now while they still have the shirt on their backs.

I'm glad to see that this didn't turn into another VHS vs. Betamax deal where we get stuck with the crap while the good stuff falls by the wayside.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    I just hope we see some great HD-DVD sales come with this death. I could use another machine and some more software along with that.

I just went though my 300+ SD-DVD collection and have pulled 100 out that will be going up for sale shortly. My goal is to be done with SD-DVD in a year or so.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    i'm just glad I never jumped on the bandwagon a year or so ago and pair upwards of $1000 for a HD DVD player

I'd be hella pissed.. but the $125 i spent on one.. two weeks ago, i'm not pissed about. it's an ok player and it can always remain and play standard def DVD's
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2008
    Anybody want an HD-A2?
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    How much daboyz? I'm looking for a second player.
    i'm just glad I never jumped on the bandwagon a year or so ago and pair upwards of $1000 for a HD DVD player

I'd be hella pissed.. but the $125 i spent on one.. two weeks ago, i'm not pissed about. it's an ok player and it can always remain and play standard def DVD's

Why would you be "hella pissed"? Buying in at that time you know the risks and that years later prices would fall. Heck, I spent $500 on my A1 the day they streeted nearly 2 years ago. Of course I knew they'd be hundreds less years later but I didn't care, still don't, been enjoying HD-DVD for those two years now.
    If...
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    How much daboyz? I'm looking for a second player.

Why would you be "hella pissed"? Buying in at that time you know the risks and that years later prices would fall. Heck, I spent $500 on my A1 the day they streeted nearly 2 years ago. Of course I knew they'd be hundreds less years later but I didn't care, still don't, been enjoying HD-DVD for those two years now.

no one could have predicted a year ago that HD DVD was going to lose the Hi Def battle... just saying... sometimes being on the cutting edge of technology has it's price.. i'm lucky in that i'm near the bottom of old technolgy.. and it's hella cheap ;)
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008
    They've lost something like 75% of their previous market backing and BlueRay is getting ready to release a next generation of the technology with which HD-DVD can't compete.

What new technology does BluRay have that HD DVD can't compete with?

I still think both formats will fail.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited February 2008
    I'll get an HD player when they hit 69.95 cause they are really good upscalers
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited February 2008
    WilliamM2 wrote: »

I would have thought it a possibility if hd-dvd could have hung in there as a spoiler. But they are collapsing pretty fast even at retailers who haven't gone exclusive for blu-ray. And BestBuy and Walmart are about as good as it gets for selling through to the average consumer.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6532944.html

HD downloads, even for the videophile crowd who knows about them, will offer a trade-off in compression artifacts/quality for any convenience in online viewing you gain. And HD downloads are just too far off to have an impact before blu-ray gains a foothold. They are only a fraction of combined hi-def disk sales at this point (which have been small so far due to fence sitters and the war) and certainly won't surpass them by next Christmas. If blu-ray is the only format standing by then, I would expect them to have a healthy sales season. Seems like a pretty natural combined-sell to now have blu-ray players going out the door with a lot of hdtv purchases.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    I don't. People want their hi-def. Everyday more and more HDTV's are selling and people are adding their HD channel line-up. Hi-def DVD is just the next step. With one format gone Blu-ray can now run free and as player and software prices fall she'll grow faster.
    If...
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    I'm glad I didn't get sucked into this stuff. I'm gonna build an HTPC w/ a combo BRD/HDDVD-rom drive.($300).
    I do feel bad for the HD crew. I remember the **** fits people who bought Betamax had.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2008
    I don't. People want their hi-def. Everyday more and more HDTV's are selling and people are adding their HD channel line-up. Hi-def DVD is just the next step. With one format gone Blu-ray can now run free and as player and software prices fall she'll grow faster.

I agree, at my local Best Buy I saw many people buying Blu-ray players along with new HDTVs....in fact I think they were giving away a free Sony blu-ray player with select HDTV purchases.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • WilliamM2
    edited February 2008
    My point was that if you take HD DVD and BluRay sales together, they are still less than 5% of video disc sales after 2 years on the market. Hardly mainstream.

I've had many people over and have shown them the difference between DVD and HD DVD. Some see a huge difference in video quality, some don't seem to see it at all. They all make comments that the difference isn't worth the money. Your average joe does not care. They love their $40 DVD player, and $1 and $2 disc rentals.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    R.I.P. friend.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2008
    My point was that if you take HD DVD and BluRay sales together, they are still less than 5% of video disc sales after 2 years on the market. Hardly mainstream.

I've had many people over and have shown them the difference between DVD and HD DVD. Some see a huge difference in video quality, some don't seem to see it at all. They all make comments that the difference isn't worth the money. Your average joe does not care. They love their $40 DVD player, and $1 and $2 disc rentals.

Right now, I'd like to know what the percentage is of households that even have an hd capable tv.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • WilliamM2
    edited February 2008
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    Right now, I'd like to know what the percentage is of households that even have an hd capable tv.

I can't find the article, but I have read it is about 36% of housholds that have an HDTV. The interesting thing noted in the article was that only about 18% of those owners pay for HDTV service. It seems most buy them for their size, not PQ.

My cable service offers several HD on demand, or pay per view channels,and of course in the future we will also have HD downloads. All options that are much cheaper than buying expensive players and discs. I think this is the main reason HD discs will remain a niche market.
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008

+++1

exactly right.. people didn't embrace SACD OR DVD-Audio.. why? They needed to go out and buy a whole new player for them. same thing is kind of happening to BR and HD DVD.

seriously, most people.. even me some times think that standard DVD's that have been around now for what 10 yrs, still look pretty dang good as long as your TV display is decent.

and there is where people are dropping their money on.. their TV's. not a high def player.

Blu Ray will win out, but will it actually capture the mass market or remain like SACD and be around, but not really a "must have".

Christmas 2008 this year will be a big boost for hi def players.. that's when the prices hit rock bottom and everyone will want one..

I'm still buying up HD DVD's for now.. since even if the format dies... there will still be plenty of cheap players to play them on.. or a combo player too.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008

How long has brodcast HD been available and in how many houses is it in? I'd like to see stats on that compared to HD-DVD / Blu.

There's no question it's going to be a slow grower, that's a given, but it won't die, especially now that we will only have one format.
    .. people didn't embrace SACD OR DVD-Audio.. why? They needed to go out and buy a whole new player for them. same thing is kind of happening to BR and HD DVD.
    You cannot comapre SCAD or DVD-Aduio to HD-DVD / Blu. Hi-def audio, that's for a very small niche of consumer. People want their music portable, not setting up expensive rooms just to listen to music. Hi-def video, that's very different and appeals to a much larger consumer group, much larger. SCAD and DVD-A never had a chance.
    If...
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Based on some quick googling (and by no means are these numbers KNOWN to be accurate) :

- HDTV products first became available to consumers in America in 1998.
    - As of Sept 22, 2005, 15% of American homes had an HDTV
    - As of April 2007, 28% of American homes had an HDTV.

So... I'll say it took a while to catch on, and has certainly ramped up lately.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    I bet we can follow those same numbers for Blu-ray. People bag on it and say it's not going to make it, it's been out for just over a year. HDTV has been out for nearly 10 years and only 28% of American homes have it, roughly.

Don't be so quick to judge the life of Blu-ray. It may even catch on faster then HDTV, 5% in a little of a year, not too bad.
    If...
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited February 2008
    People want their music portable, not setting up expensive rooms just to listen to music. Hi-def video, that's very different and appeals to a much larger consumer group, much larger. SCAD and DVD-A never had a chance.

Not only is the consumer group larger, but they're willing to spend more money...look at the shift towards HT even with polk's speaker line-up. There are a lot of two channel listeners, but my guess is that average money gravitates towards HT. And for a lot of enthusiasts, the blu-ray player will be the cheapest thing on the rack ;).
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Awesome.

damn right. The whole "not letting the consumer decide" bs is just that. The consumer did decide. Those that chose to back the wrong horse just need to get over it - that's life for the early adopter. The fat lady has sung. The format war has done nothing but confound and frustrate consumers and that proved increasingly costly for the consumer electronics industry - be it hardware manufacturers to studios to retail outlets. Mark is right. This IS awesome. Tommorow I will venture into the HD-Def disc world for the first time and I can't wait. That's my reward for playing the waiting game like millions of other consumers.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    anyone ever think that the reason blu ray/hd hasnt caught on is because people dont want to shell out $300+ for a player that might not even have discs made after a couple years?

I'm not sure how good of a comparison this is because i was very young when it happened, but the CD came out in 1987...i dont remember owning a CD until the mid 90s and up until a couple years ago, tape players were still the standard options on cars...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    , but the CD came out in 1987..
    you meant 1982.;)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2008
    I bet we see a surge in Blu sales now that it's a one HD format world.
    If...
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    I prefer your earlier pro-HD-DVD comments Ron :) Don't take that wrong as I'm just looking back at everyones history on the subject and I just fell into Blu-Ray by default.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.