Capacitor wiring

Cybernetik
Cybernetik Posts: 18
edited November 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hopefully my new system will be finished (for now) after this weekend. Everything has been going well with minimal challenges but I had a question about wiring my capacitor. Both of my amps use external fuses. The instructions for the Lightning Audio Strike 1 farad cap states not to put a fuse between the cap and the amp. Any ideas?
Post edited by Cybernetik on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited November 2002
    i've got 3 of the lightning strike caps -- and spoke to them about the same problem you're having -- the answer i got made sense -- they tell you not to put the fuse "after" the cap because they do not want you to forget to put the fuse under the hood... if you neglected to put the one under the hood and just installed your "main" fuse between the cap and the amp(s) then if you had excessive current draw the cap could explode.

for amps that have ONLY an external fuse, installing the external fuse between the cap and the amp is exactly the same as installling an amp that had onboard fuse(s).

so as long as you put a "main" fuse under the hood (within 12-18 iches of the battery terminal) you can feel free to put yoru individual fuses between the cap and their respective amplifiers.... be sure your'e main fuse compensates for the fuses running to the amps ... ex - if you've got two amps that each have a 50 amp fuse, you will want to put an 80 or a 100 amp fuse under the hood since both amps feed off the main line.

if you have any doubts / worries / etc -- the lightning (rockford) guys will talk you through it -- they're pretty friendly -- the phone number for them is on the back of the strike cap's packaging.

good luck :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Cybernetik
    Cybernetik Posts: 18
    edited November 2002
    Thanks, I'm running 60A and 25A fuses at the amps and have a 100A under the hood so I shoud be ok. I'll try to get pics in the installs showcase soon. The in-dash monitor looks great above my receiver.