Need an advice when you deal with the family

doggie750
doggie750 Posts: 1,160
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
My cousin gave me a screaming deal (coz he wanted to keep in the family) so I took the bite (had to sell my car too low for this) and bought his car for $17K gave him half and the other later.

It was all good before he talked to my other cousin who basically told him that he was stupid enough to let it go for that price that he could easily gotten it for $25K. WTF, he gave me a call and try to break the deal and bring the price up to $20K :mad:

My response to him was "WE MADE A DEAL and DEAL IS A DEAL, I already lost my car for less money coz I thought we made a deal. "(my tone was concerned, not mad). He's excuse was: tied the knot with the fiancee....etc..etc....
Now I can't f....kn sleep, too disturbed coz the relationship between me and him is not the same like it used to. I am gonna give him the other half later this month and may give him extra (if i win the lottery) or give his car back and take the lost............or just F...k him............(not my nature)
ADVICE from this forum is appreciated........
Godspeed,
D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
Surrounds: RTis
2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
Post edited by doggie750 on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2008
    Depends on how much the add'l 3K vice peace and harmony means to you.

My thoughts? If he's willing to stir the **** pot over a couple grand, I'd say that he's not above putting money above a relationship either. In which case, eff him. I'd also kick the other cousin in the nuts for sticking his schnoz where it doesn't belong either.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2008
    First I would get the Kelley's blue book value to see if 17k was really a deal, and you should of known. Or 25k is a pipe dream and you cousin knows it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    A deal is a deal. It's like trying to negotiate the cost of your meal after eating it.

Your cousin should honor the agreement.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2008
    my position is a deal is a deal. did he sign over the car to you already?

if he did, give him a check for the other half that says "paid in full" in the memo line. (he will need the cash I;m sure and will cash it, the "paid in full" in the memo line will be enforcable in court.

yeah, you'll lose him as a friend and family, but for him to reneg on a deal when you already paid him half, you dont need him anyway.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    Do not under any circumstance give him the additional $3K. A deal is a deal (and actually a contract in this case). What if the situation was turned and you told him...the car really isn't worth $17K...I'm going to keep the car and give you $14K instead. Think he would be ok with it? HELL NO! He'd be screaming a deal is a deal. Pay the rest of the money as promised and go from there.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    A deal is a deal, face the wheel.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Drive the car through his living room. Paid in full.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • J_Kennedy
    J_Kennedy Posts: 137
    edited February 2008
    I thought this was a Polk Audio forum, not Dr. Phil? :p

,If messing up family relations is possible, try this cause it's a win, win and family isn't worth **** up over money. $3k or $17k ain't that much.

Offer this to him. If the car is worth $25k and he wants it back so he can sell it for $25k, or close to it, tell him to find a buyer, advertise etc. and cooperate. Once he finds a buyer for "your" car, sell it, get what you have in it, plus what you lost in yours, "IF" you actually lost real money, then you both get more $$$ back in your pocket, and he knows you worked with him but now you have the task of finding another car. Make him give in and meet you in the middle.

As long as you make the offer that will give him the opportunity to get what he says he wants, more money for the car, he can't fault you. If he doesn't want the deal, you can't control that so move on and let him get over it. :D
    - Onkyo TX-SR805
    - Polk RTi8's Main L/R's
    - Polk CSi A6 Center
    - Polk FXi3 Surrounds/Rear Surrounds
    - HSU VFT-2 MK3
  • J_Kennedy
    J_Kennedy Posts: 137
    edited February 2008
    Oh, and quit mixing "business" with family. You learned a lesson....some good deals aren't so good when they have strings attached.
    - Onkyo TX-SR805
    - Polk RTi8's Main L/R's
    - Polk CSi A6 Center
    - Polk FXi3 Surrounds/Rear Surrounds
    - HSU VFT-2 MK3
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    Yep, a deal is a deal.

Shack hit it on the nose!

The stupid **** should have done his homework first before agreeing on the final sale price.
    No excuses!
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    A deal is a deal. What is that crap? Your cousin needs to gain a sense of honor.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    dorokusai wrote:
    A deal is a deal, face the wheel.

92_226355.jpg

"And I say that this man has broken the law. Right or wrong, we had a deal. And the law says: bust a deal and face the wheel!"
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited February 2008
    J_Kennedy wrote: »
    I thought this was a Polk Audio forum, not Dr. Phil? :p

,If messing up family relations is possible, try this cause it's a win, win and family isn't worth **** up over money. $3k or $17k ain't that much.

Offer this to him. If the car is worth $25k and he wants it back so he can sell it for $25k, or close to it, tell him to find a buyer, advertise etc. and cooperate. Once he finds a buyer for "your" car, sell it, get what you have in it, plus what you lost in yours, "IF" you actually lost real money, then you both get more $$$ back in your pocket, and he knows you worked with him but now you have the task of finding another car. Make him give in and meet you in the middle.

As long as you make the offer that will give him the opportunity to get what he says he wants, more money for the car, he can't fault you. If he doesn't want the deal, you can't control that so move on and let him get over it. :D

I like that ! Good idea !

Falls into the category of "Put up or shut up".

You might do a "Car Soup"/Ebay Motors search to see what that particular car is going for.
    Sal Palooza
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    shack wrote: »
    Do not under any circumstance give him the additional $3K. A deal is a deal (and actually a contract in this case). What if the situation was turned and you told him...the car really isn't worth $17K...I'm going to keep the car and give you $14K instead. Think he would be ok with it? HELL NO! He'd be screaming a deal is a deal. Pay the rest of the money as promised and go from there.

Couldnt have said it better...my thoughts exactly. Good or bad...family or stranger...once the handshake is done the deal is done...period.

I gave a really good friend of mine ( At least as good as a cousin, more like a brother ) my second pair of mint SRS's for 500 bucks...I could have gotten a whole lot more from them , but thats the WHOLE idea...you are suppossed to give them a better deal then anybody else.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2008
    What Shack said.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    give him the rest of the money owed to him.. then walk away.. so to bad if he doesn't talk to you for 6 month's.. you don't reneg on a deal then ask for more money.. that is stupid on his part.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    Let him read this thread...problem solved :D
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2008
    Let him read this thread...problem solved :D

HE HE HE..............
    Thanks for the advice POLKS.............:):):)
    appreciate it much....

"a deal is a deal"
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    Based on his word, you made other binding decisions. It's too late. Done deal.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited February 2008
    may be a case for Judge Judy ;)