Fishing

rainman31
rainman31 Posts: 76
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Was just wondering how many people fish out there, where , lake or ocean, boat or on land.

7.2 Set Up
Onkyo 805
X-Box
3DO
PS3
Velodyne DPS10 sub
Polk Audio 2- RTI 12's
Polk Audio CSI 5
Polk Audio 4- FXI 5's
Pronto 7500 LCD remote
Gefen HD video 1080p scaler
Mitsubishi TV 73927 1080p

Future purchase Rotel RMB 1095 200x5 THX
Post edited by rainman31 on

Comments

• SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited February 2008
    I have fished just about anyway a person can. The one exception is noodling for catfish.

In March spoonbill fishing opens up. I look forward to that each year!
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited February 2008
    Rskarvan fishes a lot here!

I could never get into it. Too much waiting around for the stupid fish to bite, and the reward (a smelly floppy thing in your boat) isn't that great either. But that's just me. Give me a boat and I'll go exploring.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • rainman31
    edited February 2008
    I fish a lot but have not recently. I live only about 15 min from galveston bay. We have a boat a 21' Robalo center console but need a new engine. I fish with my dad. We catch speckled trout, flounder, red drum, black drum, and sand trout.

7.2 Set Up
    Onkyo 805
    X-Box
    3DO
    PS3
    Velodyne DPS10 sub
    Polk Audio 2- RTI 12's
    Polk Audio CSI 5
    Polk Audio 4- FXI 5's
    Pronto 7500 LCD remote

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2008
    I love Ocean fishing. Down here is S FL we have sailfish right off the shore. You go deep sea fishing, and you can still read some of the hotel signs. When I went out the first time we had left the inlet at a moderate pace, and in like 10 minutes we stopped. I thought there was a problem, but we were there! The Ex wife caught a nice sailfish. Lots of kingfish here, snappers, grouper, sheepshead, giant tarpon, and swords.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • rainman31
    edited February 2008
    I would love to retire to Florida just to fish, they have the best fishing in the U.S., I think.

7.2 Set Up
    Onkyo 805
    X-Box
    3DO
    PS3
    Velodyne DPS10 sub
    Polk Audio 2- RTI 12's
    Polk Audio CSI 5
    Polk Audio 4- FXI 5's
    Pronto 7500 LCD remote

• Hi-Buy
    Hi-Buy Posts: 110
    edited February 2008
    There is no waiting for fish here in Florida. Pick a reef, throw some chum out,cast and reel them in one after the other.
    Big thanks to "Neskahi" !
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited February 2008
    rainman31 wrote: »
    I would love to retire to Florida just to fish, they have the best fishing in the U.S., I think.

Nah, NJ is way better IMO just for the sheer variety of stuff you can catch but it gets handily beat by Hawaii. The fishing there is just flat out incredible!

And yes, I love fishing! Lakes, streams, rivers, bays, open ocean, whatever! If I'm not at a dragstrip in the summer I can usually be found shoe less and shirtless on the bow of my friend's boat with a fishing pole in hand somewhere off the coast of NJ.

Caught everything from Sunnies to Bull Sharks to Eels and even hooked a Loon that went after my bait fish. Stupid birds.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Nah, NJ is way better IMO just for the sheer variety of stuff you can catch but it gets handily beat by Hawaii. The fishing there is just flat out incredible!

And yes, I love fishing! Lakes, streams, rivers, bays, open ocean, whatever! If I'm not at a dragstrip in the summer I can usually be found shoe less and shirtless on the bow of my friend's boat with a fishing pole in hand somewhere off the coast of NJ.

Caught everything from Sunnies to Bull Sharks to Eels and even hooked a Loon that went after my bait fish. Stupid birds.

I miss striped bass.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to retire this coming Sept. I have two part time jobs lined up.

Fish and drink:D
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Deep Sea Fishing here. Charter small 6 person boats a couple times a year in the nice weather. I own 2 nice custom made rods with Penn reels from a local shop in Gloucester, MA.

I go for Cod, Haddock, Pollock.....the usual culprits from deep sea adventures. Any dog fish I cut their tails off and toss them back. I can't stand those things.

I've gone fishing for striped bass too...but they are boring and hard to catch.

My favorite catch was catching a Wahoo or however you spell it off the coast of Bermuda. What a fighter! Biggest fish was a 38 pound Cod....felt like reeling up a truck tire from 400 feet down.

Still dying to go Tuna fishing....
  • tx_polkhead
    tx_polkhead Posts: 248
    edited February 2008
    four years ago I sold off my x-box gear to buy a fly fishing set up, have not missed the gaming gear a bit. My faves are hybrid stripped bass, and spotted gar, yep this is TX and Gar on the fly gear will make your ears ring!
    Polk Audio RTA 12c's, Monitor 7c, Monitor 5JR+, SDA CRS+
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2008
    Love fishing, but always seem to be too busy to get in as much as I want. Mainly lake fishing for me up here - Great Slave where the big ones wander and the other small lakes around. Mostly lake trout, white fish and pickerel. My favorite is salmon fishing with a fly rod in a river, but no salmon here. This summer I will be going for Arctic Grayling on a fly.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2008
    I like to fish, but don't get out enough. Maryland's got it pretty good, too. There are some very decent trout streams in the central part, fishing for stripers in the 'Bay, tuna and mahi mahi out in the Atlantic. Mmmm...
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited February 2008
    Loved to fish since I was a kid. Now teaching my kids - that's a blast when your kids hook a nice one.

My part of the world (southwestern Ohio) does not really have great fishing.

The best spots I go to are large farm ponds and the ponds on the golf gourse my parents live on - decent Largemouth up to 5 lbs or so. In fact, I have a 7 pounder on my wall that I caught in a local farm pond when I was 15.

Wading local creeks is pretty fun too - Smallmouth getting airborn using ultralight gear in moving water - WHO-HOO!

Were planning a family vacation to St Pete's Fla in June - would be nice to go out on drift boat for some Grouper.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • rainman31
    edited February 2008
    I have never done much freshwater fishing only saltwater. When I was a kid my first time fishing was at a stocked catfish pond and I caught a big one. The great thing there is they cleaned it a filleted it. I still remember the smell of the bait, it was like do-do you would ball up on the hook.

7.2 Set Up
    Onkyo 805
    X-Box
    3DO
    PS3
    Velodyne DPS10 sub
    Polk Audio 2- RTI 12's
    Polk Audio CSI 5
    Polk Audio 4- FXI 5's
    Pronto 7500 LCD remote

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2008
    Grew up fishing off the coast of So. Cal. Yellowtail, bonita, albacore, bass etc.

& Fly fishing the rivers in the Jackson Hole area.

Love it!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2008
    I love to fish. Salt and freshwater. I do not get to go as much as I would like to.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2008
    SLOCOOKN wrote: »
    I have fished just about anyway a person can. The one exception is noodling for catfish.

In March spoonbill fishing opens up. I look forward to that each year!

Noodling,, now that's some crazy stuff,,as you don't always end up with what you're after,,,scary.:eek:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited February 2008
    I fish anywhere there are fish. My favorite pastime for fifty years now. Mostly into fly fishing now, but still love to dunk crickets under a bobber for bream. Only problem with fly fishing is the little buggers are really tough to filet and it takes a bunch to make a decient supper.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    Never found anything appealing in fishing. I caught a salmon when I was 10 years old in a lake in southern Chile. They smoked it at the hotel we were staying, and I remember I found it disgusting (I love smoked salmon now...).

I have tried a few times after that but find it absolutely boring.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2008
    I love to fish when I get the chance, regardless of what type of fishing. I may not be the best, but I just love getting out there.

There is a lawyer here in DFW that obviously loves fishing. He offices out of a building on 75 that looks like a little strip shopping center that could hold a couple of stores maybe. On one end you have "Barlow, Attorney at Law"(or something like that) and on the other end is "Barlow's Tackle Shop."
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Never found anything appealing in fishing.

Ok... imagine this... you've got a cooler of beer, sandwiches, maybe a piece of pie, a bucket of minnows, and you are out on the lake all day just putzing around enjoying the day outside. Lots of boats cruise by and all the women in them are in bikinis. The only method of keeping time is looking up at the position of the sun on the horizon. And, you have absolutely no plans on bringing the boat back to the dock before sun-down... because, the fish tend to bite more at dusk.

Now... contrast that to working in a factory all day where it is difficult to distinguish the women from the men.
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited March 2008
    This is video from 2006:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k7miwpFKF2s"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k7miwpFKF2s&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thanks to bobman for help loading video!

I am the one reeling in the fish :cool:.
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited March 2008
    That's one nice fish. Are they good eating? With everyone fishing like that, I'm surprised you don't get all tangled up.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    Mostly down at the Gulf of Mexico. Sometimes we get together and run down to Cabo for a few days. But mostly fish between Pensacola, FL. & New Orleans, LA. Got a 36' Contender w/triple Yammy 300's off the rear for fun. It does ok. Stays down in Orange Beach, AL.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I miss striped bass.

I love striped bass :D

Thumbs up on New Jersey fishing. I go fluke fishing off LBI several times each summer. I had 3 tuna trips booked out of NJ this past fall, but all three got rained out.

My favorite place to fish - my backyard :cool:
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited March 2008
    nspindel wrote: »
    I love striped bass :D

Thumbs up on New Jersey fishing. I go fluke fishing off LBI several times each summer. I had 3 tuna trips booked out of NJ this past fall, but all three got rained out.

My favorite place to fish - my backyard :cool:

I caught this one while fishing Lake Murray in South Carolina.

My brother and I fish for freshwater striped bass often now.

Fish.jpg
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2008
    Now that is a striped bass!!! I hope you had about 8 friends over for dinner that night! My personal biggest is 36". There's a spot off Montauk called "The Race" where Block Island Sound and Long Island Sound empty out into the Atlantic. Some serious chop, not conditions for the faint of heart (as in, if you get sea-sick easily, DON'T GO!), but I have friends who have gone several times. It's about 100 feet to the bottom, they three-way live bunker all the way down, and 2 of my friends have landed stripers over 50 lbs. That is the spot....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • SLOCOOKN
    edited March 2008
    del44 wrote: »
    That's one nice fish. Are they good eating? With everyone fishing like that, I'm surprised you don't get all tangled up.

Spoonbill is "The poor man's lobster." It is mild in flavor and firm enough to grill.
    I prefer to cook my fish (Spoonbill) on a smoker.

There is never really a problem with line tangle as each person is at a different depth. I did however almost pull a rod and reel out of a passer-by's hands. We both thought we had hooded into Moby Dick!

We have pulled out bicycles, pieces of cars the occasional dead body...well not yet anyway!
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2008
    I LOVE to fish, unfortunately Southern Arizona is about the worse place in the world for fishing. You need to take a good 4 hour drive to Roosevelt lake east of Phoenix to really do some serious fishing. We don't have a boat or anything fancy, but if we were closer to good fishing areas I have a good bass boat.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2