Northern Illinois University Shooting

2»

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    my thread got shut down.. sorry if this happens to this one too. beleive me, i had no intention to do that. I wanted to let everyone know before this one does too.

peace.

i will prob get a time out or banned for just writing this.

AL
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Did you not see that I said I feel the good from the bans is not the prevention of this type of attack?

Uncertainty? I feel you give the type of person who would do this far too much credit for rational thought. What are they afraid of dying? Obviously not. When someone goes off the deep end, they go off the deep end.

You just said yourself that the number of students with a permit would be low. On top of that, an even smaller chance that one would happen to be in a class where this happens, and then an even smaller chance they took the extra time to bring the gun to class.

All I'm saying it I imagine if we allowed guns on campus the total number of deaths by gunshot on campuses would go up. Not how or why. Not that people would or wouldn't feel safer.

I don't give them too much credit at all. They were rational enough to plan it all in every single circumstance. It wasn't an act that just happened because they decided one day to blow a bunch of people away right then and there.

I never said they were afraid of dying. I said you can't stop it from happening when the end result is suicide. What you can do is limit the amount of destruction should one of those students or teachers had a gun.

Their goal is taking others with them. If they don't know they can't take 20 innocent lives perhaps they'll take a razor to their arms or jump off a building instead. Clearly they don't want to live and that's the bottom line. You can even have that argument if you think that's not part of their tought process -- it still limits the destruction they can do.

Giving people the opportunity to protect themselves or others is our Constitutional right. You can dance around that however you'd like, but it is what it is. Saying it'll be drunk college students with guns is a comment completely devoid of thought or logic.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    Or perphaps they build a dozen pipe bombs. We're both arguing over possibilities so there is no real way to say which is more likely to happen. We'll agree to disagree, but I can tell you my opinions are not devoid of thought or logic despite what you may think.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2008
    Maybe we should get back on track for the original topic. There's a lot of opinions on how best to solve a very complicated problem. A good discussion over beers at PF'08 might be in order!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Maybe we should get back on track for the original topic. There's a lot of opinions on how best to solve a very complicated problem. A good discussion over beers at PF'08 might be in order!

Agreed! Let's drink beer and kick each other in the nuts at Polkfest while debating this.
    No excuses!
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Agreed! Let's drink beer and kick each other in the nuts at Polkfest while debating this.

Can't, guns might be present and then there will be a shootout. :rolleyes:
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    No one implied that allowing guns on campus would cause more shootouts. Did I miss that somewhere?
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2008
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    apparently.

:rolleyes:
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    I just read the shooter went off his meds several weeks back and that may have caused him to snap. He apparently bought a new handgun as of last week along with the shotgun weeks back.
    No excuses!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    Its a very sad day for all the good folks at Northern Illinois University. I pray the violence stops.