This is just freakin' incredible!

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-02/ns-llc021308.php

They first shot a relatively slowmoving laser pulse through the fibre, and then sent a faster “probe wave” chasing after it. The first pulse distorts the optical properties of the fibre simply by travelling through it. This distortion forces the speedy probe wave to slow down dramatically when it catches up with the slower pulse and tries to move through it. In fact, the probe wave becomes trapped and can never overtake the pulse’s leading edge, which effectively becomes a black hole event horizon, beyond which light cannot escape.

Saw that on slashdot a few minutes ago. I am constantly amazed at what the human mind can figure out. It is just incredible that they can not only recognize such phenomenon but that they can actually devise a way to reconstruct it in a lab.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2008
    Does it involve fireworks?

Does it make funny farting sounds when it does it?

Are their **** anywhere in the scene?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Does it involve fireworks?

Does it make funny farting sounds when it does it?

Are their **** anywhere in the scene?

No but it can probably suck a golf ball through a garden hose!

• RuSsMaN
    edited February 2008
    I see. Well that confirms it's of no use to me, I don't play golf either.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2008
    Only interested if it involves women in bikinis, helicopters, and explosions.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    burdette wrote: »

Yeah, pretty spiffy stuff!

Imagine what that work could show? Learn how to manipulate RNA and change genetic coding...the possibilities are boundless. I mean, they might be able to even reverse cancer, not just cure it.

• Polk user
    Polk user Posts: 311
    edited February 2008
    Frank Z wrote: »
    Only interested if it involves women in bikinis, helicopters, and explosions.

2 out of 3
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited February 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-02/ns-llc021308.php

They first shot a relatively slowmoving laser pulse through the fibre, and then sent a faster “probe wave” chasing after it. The first pulse distorts the optical properties of the fibre simply by travelling through it. This distortion forces the speedy probe wave to slow down dramatically when it catches up with the slower pulse and tries to move through it. In fact, the probe wave becomes trapped and can never overtake the pulse’s leading edge, which effectively becomes a black hole event horizon, beyond which light cannot escape.

Thanks, probably the most interesting thing i've read on the forum this month
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited February 2008
    That's actually some pretty interesting stuff !

Nice site.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2008
    I think I read something about that in Angel's and Demons. Now the pope is going to die and an unlikely Cardinal will take his post and eventually blow up the Vatican using antimatter. . . right?

Edited as to not be banned. Comments above are not meant to be construed as political, religious, or even serious in nature.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    Christ. Why does everything have to turn in to something political or overly opinionated here? It's a news story about some really advanced physics that helps mankind understand the environment we live in.

The cold is caused by a virus and viruses are notoriously hard to defeat because they replicate on genetic triggers and keep replicating until they mutate themselves to death or neutralization.

Cancer is also a genetic mutation that runs out of control due to broken genetic codes. Both types of illnesses are considered a disease but you can't "cure" a genetic mutation. There's nothing to cure if the fundamental building blocks are what is broken.

I'll refrain from the politically fiery topic of health care but thanks for going for the hat trick and killing the whole thread with not only politics but also morality arguments and flamebait.

• RuSsMaN
    edited February 2008
    It's called a sense of humor. Breathe.
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    It's called a sense of humor. Breathe.

Honestly, I think it's very cool that we have this technology. I just find it comical that things that seem to be easy to fix are difficult, but things that seem impossible are done all the time.

I wasn't trying to mix it up. I made a joke referencing a popular novel by Dan Brown, then made a light-hearted comment about it being funny that we can make black holes but not fix easier things.

I'm going to go choke myself now till I pass out.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2008
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    I'm going to go choke myself now till I pass out.

Let me know when you're out so the DFW guys can raid your place. It could be a great valentine's day! Russman you in?

It does seem like a pretty cool concept though.

I got the Da Vinci Code/Angels and Demons joke, but you would definitely have to have actually read the book to get it. Carry on.

(P.S. I only want Andy to really choke himself out if he promises to PM me his addy first and then leave the door unlocked so we don't draw attention to ourselves as we have Christmas in February.)
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    Jstas - I can see how what I wrote came off as political. I was just joking and have edited. Can we still be friends?

Edbert - an easier way to jack my loot would be to agree to purchase my Theta DAC, then bring a big bottle of Maker's Mark over when you stop by to pick it up. 3-1 odds I either drink till I pass out, leaving my audio gear open to takers, or just agree to let you have it after a few drinks.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Jstas - I can see how what I wrote came off as political. I was just joking and have edited. Can we still be friends?

I dunno. I already asked Polk_addict to be my Valentine. He might get jealous.

• edbert
    edited February 2008
    Andy, I'll keep that in mind. I just have to get a truck first.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2008
    Andy, I'll keep that in mind. I just have to get a truck first.

Well, in that case, you'll need to bring some Jager and Red Bulls as well as the Makers. After a few Jager bombs, I'll be wired and likely to load up the truck for you.
    dunno. I already asked Polk_addict to be my Valentine. He might get jealous.
    That's okay, polk_audio_lsi have been hanging out quite a bit lately. It's a little early to tell, but I think it could turn into something pretty serious.
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    Science can be interesting. I remember reading about how they actually invented anti-matter in a lab in england back in the mid-90's. Granted, they only recorded it for 1 nanosecond, but still, pretty heady stuff.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    Why does everything have to turn in to something political or overly opinionated here?
    Because it's an internet forum.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    Where is the movie? All I saw was a buch of stuff to read? I wanted to see the black hole. I saw the woman with the shoes I could only imagine would be uncomfortable to fly in. And hey is that John Larroquette flying the chopper? And what happened to the explosions? I feel cheated!

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • edbert
    edited February 2008
    explode_fire.gifexplode_fire.gifexplode_fire.gifexplode_fire.gifexplode_fire.gifexplode_fire.gifexplode_fire.gif

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • edbert
    edited February 2008
    Explode-06-june.gifExplode-06-june.gifExplode-06-june.gifExplode-06-june.gifExplode-06-june.gif

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • edbert
    edited February 2008
    Explode-01-june.gifExplode-01-june.gifExplode-01-june.gifExplode-01-june.gifExplode-01-june.gifExplode-01-june.gif

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • edbert
    edited February 2008
    Explode-05-june.gifExplode-05-june.gifExplode-05-june.gifExplode-05-june.gifExplode-05-june.gifExplode-05-june.gif

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • nms