Got told I was "old" 'cause I know the words to a Jim Croce song

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I was in a Wawa (local inconvenience store chain) waiting in a very long line because for some reason it took 4 people behind the deli counter to make one sammich while the manager rang people up furiously and periodically yelling for help. I felt bad for him.

But being the patient person that I am, I just stood in line and waited and listened to the music on the in-store PA. There was a girl in front of me, couldn't have been older than 19-20 years old. Had nice perfume. A Jim Croce song came on the PA and I started quietly singing the words along. The girl in front of me, after a minute or two, turned to me and said "Gawd! You don't HAVE to be so old!"

I was confuddled and befused! My response was "Bwah...huh?" She said "Just because you're an old geezer with gray hair and stuff doesn't mean you have to act it!" I said "What makes you say that?" She said "Only my DAD knows all the words to this song! It's so lame!"

I was disheartened to say the least and wondered if I really do look that old. I mumbled that I was only 30 and she said "It's ok, you're still kinda cute!" Then the next line opened up and she bolted.

I guess that's one of my first experiences with a generation gap. I was born in '77, she was probably born in '88 or '89. I own a truck that is older than her. But what does she know? Obviously still "just a kid" mentally and running around in a 3 year old BMW that he dad probably bought her with designer clothes and "accessories". I'm just a regular schmuck in a pickup truck to her. Oh, this was in Moorestown, NJ which is a very affluent neighborhood and ranked like a year or two ago as the "Nicest Place To Live in the U.S." or some silly stuff like that. So it was very likely that she was a "rich daddy's little girl".

I guess that was more of a post-**** post. Just an odd experience that I thought someone might be able to relate to.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    Im close to where you live born in 777 and have never heard of this Jim Croce. Is this Jim Croce and New JErserian?
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2008
    Waaaaaaaaaaaa
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Phasearray
    edited February 2008
    You should have said "I'm 45 and I like em young" and then wink wink at her followed by a couple of pelvic thurst and finally say "wait are you legal?"
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    You've heard of Jim Croce or at least heard him, you just don't realize it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Croce

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    You'd know him if you heard the songs.

"Bad Bad Leroy Brown"
    "You Don't Mess Around with Jim"

Probably more that I can't think of right now.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Phasearray
    edited February 2008
    wow, you're only days older than I am
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited February 2008
    I was in college in 1977...
  • Mike Kozak
    Mike Kozak Posts: 931
    edited February 2008
    I like being old. Well, if you call 45 old, I personally do not think it is. Some comment on if she needed a diaper change would have been appropriate.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    I was in diapers in 77. I love working with people who were out of high school by time I was born and telling them how to do their job.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited February 2008
    Jstas, you're an old **** :p.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    Jstas, you're an old **** :p.

That must be what stinks so bad around here!

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2008
    Hey...at least you're still kind of cute ;)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2008
    you know, it's funny. I couldnt imagine being a 110 pound woman just busting someone's balls at random in a convenience store. lets say John wasnt the lovable John we know, but a frikkin psychopath that...upon provocation like being called an old ****, decides to crack her in the jaw. granted 98% of people wouldnt do that, but does one want to activly seek out the 2% that might by provoking people at random?

I guess it was my Dad's upbringing to keep a low profile. I dont bother people that I dont need to, and certainly don't insult and bust a complete strangers balls unprovoked either, and I'm a 300+ lb guy that can handle himself god forbid.

best way to avoid being a statistic? shut your trap, and don't insult strangers at random.

maybe I'm just kooky
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    ohskigod wrote: »
    maybe I'm just kooky

As kooky as kooky gets! ;)

Jstas, you old geezer! If ya make it to Polkfest, I'll bring you a depends! One right from my private stock. :eek:
    No excuses!
  • ESavinon
    edited February 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    That must be what stinks so bad around here!

I'm older than you (born in 69) yet i don't know the lyrics to jim groce ;).

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2008
    The girl in front of me, after a minute or two, turned to me and said "Gawd! You don't HAVE to be so old!"

She was busting on you because only old guys stand in line and sing along with the music, at least until they wet themselves or break a hip or something. ;)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Jstas
    edited February 2008
    ohskigod wrote: »
    you know, it's funny. I couldnt imagine being a 110 pound woman just busting someone's balls at random in a convenience store.

Dude, they're Jersey Girls. Some of the chicks around here are walking around with a bigger set of stones than most guys! Especially if they are a pampered, spoiled, daddy's girl. They think nothing can touch them and if it does, daddy makes it go away. Besides, it did happen in Moorestown, the "safest or nicest or whatever it was place to live". It's a shame Camden, the most dangerous city in the country is less than 15 minutes down Rt 38.

• ESavinon
    edited February 2008
    Dude, they're Jersey Girls. Some of the chicks around here are walking around with a bigger set of stones than most guys! Especially if they are a pampered, spoiled, daddy's girl. They think nothing can touch them and if it does, daddy makes it go away. Besides, it did happen in Moorestown, the "safest or nicest or whatever it was place to live". It's a shame Camden, the most dangerous city in the country is less than 15 minutes down Rt 38.

That's what i love about jersey. Five blocks in any direction and you have a completely different city from the one next to it.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    haha 30 is definately old.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2008
    "It's ok, you're still kinda cute!"

Should've ask her out right there and then. :D

ESAVINON wrote:
    I'm older than you (born in 69) yet i don't know the lyrics to jim groce

I'm older still (born in 1967) and I don't know the lyrics to that song.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    if you've never heard of Jim Croce or one of his songs.. you should be put on a rocket and flown to outter space.. even they have heard of jim Croce.. plain and simple. you may not like his "old guy stuff", but it's really good music.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    Jstas, if it makes you feel any better, your posts appear that they've been written by a old curmudgeon.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    Your response to her should have been.. "you think you're so cool, but you're not!!" so there, punk!
  • danger boy
    edited February 2008
    Time in a bottle.. just read the lyrics... tell me that ain't a good Jim Croce song. i'm out of here. i got work to do.. and hang out with my old **** friends. ;)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2008
    You could have also responded "Listen punk, back in my day I would have argued with you but its way past time for my nap."
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2008
    I turned 18 in '77. Good memories.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Ricardo wrote: »
    I turned 18 in '77. Good memories.

Was that 1877?

:p
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    A co-worker was flirting with a Hooters girl. She asked to see his drivers license. Then, she told him that he was the same age as her dad. OUCH!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited February 2008
    In situations like that, I'd suggest you whip out "Big Boy" and plop it on the counter, along with the comment, "Oh, yeah ! Does this look old to you ?!"

....when she responds, "Yeah !!!!", you just say, "Yeah, but I got you to look, didn't I .......beeeyitch !".

......than run like hell.

Works every time.

Usually.

:o
    Sal Palooza
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    should have slapped her upside the head.....with your c**k!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!