Anyone File their taxes yet this year with Turbotax?

avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Ok I have been a staunch supporter of Taxact.com for the last 8 years. Never had an issue with them, no audits, and it was cheap. Twenty dollars gets me their tax program and the federal e-file is free, and I pay for my state e-file which runs 8 dollars. It has always been this way. 28 bucks saves me huge, especially when H&R Block ran me nearly 200 dollars the last time I used them.

So fast forward to this week. I do my taxes and get ready to e-file like always. Fed is free, AZ state is 8 dollars. Then I get a notice that this year with direct deposit I am charged another 15 dollars for the direct deposit fee. I mean WTF is this? I do not ever remember being charged for a DD fee with taxact.

So what I am asking is, does Turbotax also charge you for a direct deposit fee? I think 15 dollars is a little steep.
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by avelanchefan on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    I always go to my accountant. I think it's worth the extra dough. Not only do I get more money back but I actually have a real living person to deal with.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Hmph, I used TaxAct, and didn't get an extra 15 dollar fee for Direct Deposit.... Already have my money too.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    I've used TT for several years now, with no fees. Haven't hit the send button yet this year but I will this weekend probably.

If you have State Farm for insurance TurboTax is free. I've been very happy with it. Its a very thorough program.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2008
    Print and send USPS certified mail for a buck fitty.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited February 2008
    I used it for the first time this year and I thought it was great. It was totally free also. Except for the state part which I have not done yet. I got my return quick. I also did direct deposit which was free also.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2008
    IIRC in years past there's been a fee for DD when I did my taxes through Turbo Tax. Not certain about this year, however; my wife sent them in.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited February 2008
    Okay so a reread the contract about DD fees. And I made a huge error on my part. this is how it works.

If you pay you e-filing upfront there are no added fee's. BUT if you decide to have your fee's of the e-file charge taken out of your tax refund then they will charge you 15 dollars. :eek:

Man am I a freaking walking moron. I cannot believe I agreed to that! Oh well...lesson learned.:mad:
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2008
    Have a pro do it... always finds money I don't.

Case and point: My buddy this year was doing his taxes, said he was all depressed because he owed like 650. I knew he had just bought a house and all that stuff, so I told him to have my personal CFP/CPA/Expert take a look at it for him. He said ok, then two days later is getting $700 back. Not a bad deal. The pro's just know what to look for that I would overlook.

My $.02
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• J_Kennedy
    J_Kennedy Posts: 137
    edited February 2008
    I use TT every year and honestly can't remember if there were fees. Seems like there are. But remember, those fees are deductible. For what that's worth. For me, I scrape up every penny I can deduct. One of these days, all that scraping will yield me a whole penny.
    - Onkyo TX-SR805
    - Polk RTi8's Main L/R's
    - Polk CSi A6 Center
    - Polk FXi3 Surrounds/Rear Surrounds
    - HSU VFT-2 MK3
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited February 2008
    I know this may be one of the few cases like this, but the one time I had a pro do my taxes it almost cost me $600. When I picked up the finished forms I thought something seemed a little off, so I went home and put everything in turbotax for kicks since it's free until you file anyway. Turns out they missed one little check box that cascaded into a huge $600 error!

I've done my own taxes since I was a teenager mainly because I want to understand the process of giving a huge chunk of my income to the government. And turbotax has made it so straight forward that I don't mind paying them a few bucks, which is less than I paid someone else to almost screw them up.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    Going to a place like H&R block is really no different than software like TurboTax or TaxCut. They pay someone who probably knows less about taxes than you do to follow their internal software. And then charge you $100+ dollars for the favor. No thanks. I'll make the effort and learn myself.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2008
    I have used turbo tax for years. I love it, they make it so easy. I just print the forms off & mail them. In a few weeks I see the money in my account!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited February 2008
    I've used HR Block online for 3 years now. Tax time for a young small business owner isn't so bad, especially since I had a job that witheld some taxes last year. With all of the deductable business expenses, I've gotten good chunks back the last 2 years.
    Tschüss
    Zach