Any Frisbee disc golfers in the house?

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,982
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
As you can tell by my non-response to anything sports related on this forum, I'd rather play sports then watch them. One of my favorite and most challenging games that I play is Frisbee disc golf.

Same thing as regular golf, however with this you......

1 - Don't use a golf ball, you use a Frisbee.
2 - You don't aim toward a hole, you aim for a basket.

I have NO idea whether or not any of you have even a clue as to what the **** I am talking about, but this is the Clubhouse and I thought I'd ask.

My entire playing time I have made 3 aces, which in Frisbee disc golf is a hole in one [very hard to do]. To put it into perspective, it's almost like a real golf course with water hazards, out of bounds, trees in the way and a 3-dimensional playing field and more often than not, you can't see the basket from the tee.

For those that think that real golf is hard, try this. The demands of concentration, physical style, swing, flick, body stance, force, finesse, technique and even the type of driver [Frisbee] and the weight of the driver are all aspects of making a drive or approach. I actually have about 25 drivers I play with regularly, each with a different flying pattern, predictability and distance. Wind has WAY more influence with Frisbee golf than with regular golf and can make an easy "putt" from 30 feet away put you back 90 feet or more and a stroke or two down depending on circumstances and terrain.

It's frustrating, fun, rewarding, a challenge and one of the favorite sports that I am involved with. That said, do any of you know what I'm talking about? Have any of you played? Have any of you been involved in tournaments?

CourseDirectoryStock.jpg

2041115487_677920794c.jpg?v=0
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited February 2008
    hippie.. lol jk. there are some places around KC to play.. Never really tried it though.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2008
    Never heard of it but it sure looks like a lot of fun. Great idea for the golf course here in the winter time.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited February 2008
    Me and my friends call it "Frolf" (Frisbee-Golf). I played a lot in college and with church, and usually on a football field or something similar. However, I do live in a city outside Seattle, Wa, called Kent, and we have a city-owned and maintained Frisbee Golf Course. It's a pretty sweet course set-up in the forest, and there are tournments held there at least once a month. Sweet...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    janmike wrote: »
    Never heard of it but it sure looks like a lot of fun. Great idea for the golf course here in the winter time.
    It is a great deal of fun. I haven't played as much as I used to. I used to go out for 18 holes about 9 or 10 times a week depending on the course we played at and how long of a course it was. Some courses are about a 45 minute play time with 9 holes in the short, then we'd turn around and play the same course in the long which would TOTALLY change the course and how you threw and would usually take about an hour to an hour and 15, depending on "traffic".

The longest course I have played is at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC in which just one hole is 1,470 ft. long. That hole....OMG, I about throw my arm out with each throw and it still takes me 4 strokes before I even see the basket. That is a pro course. Very hard and my friends and I have lost at least 100+ Frisbees in the water hazards.

The shortest course I have played at is Davidson College just N. of Lake Norman in NC. Lots of college women around for eye candy and just plain a great course to play. That is, until the trees grow in. Then that course will drive you ****! Hehe.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    I've played a few times in like, people's backyards, but never on a real course. It is some fun, though I suck at frisbee so that doesn't help my cause.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2008
    There are a few places to play around here and I have played a couple of them. I always played Ultimate Frisbee in college, so instead of using the typical driver, I always used my ultimate frisbee frisbee. I actually won one time against some guys that had their bag of discs, I still rub that in every now and then. We actually had a guys golf night a couple of years ago where we played 18 holes of disc golf followed by 9 holes of real golf at a Par 3 course. Those were some good times.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.