Ok PPL!! Comcast VS Direct T.V

Frank840
Frank840 Posts: 262
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
So who has The BEST hd channels / quality. who has the Most Channels .. and of course which one is Cheaper :rolleyes: .. I have Comcast now, and i am not impress with it so want to see the people that have direct t.v and what they thing of it vs comcast. Thanks
- This your Bush?
Pioneer Elite Sc-25
Polk Lsic,15's,9's, PSW1000
Post edited by Frank840 on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    FIOS

Comcast

DTV

Suck it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    with Direct TV you have to rent or buy your own DVR.. i'm not sure if you do with Comcast too. adding HD to Direct TV isn't cheap.. if you are a new customer to Direct TV you get some freebies, and all the perks.

here are the HD channels Direct is suppose to offer... http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=P4380112

I always ask myself.. do I want to pay to watch CNN is HD? Cartoon network in HD, Nick in HD? I don't think so..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    You'll have to compare the pkgs., and see if there is any saving. I've had DTV for just over 2 yrs. and I'm paying $55+/ month. for 200 ch.
    The problem I've found w/ DTV is, during the BIBLICAL type rain we get down south, you will lose the feed. I imagine the same for SNOW?
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    You'll have to compare the pkgs., and see if there is any saving. I've had DTV for just over 2 yrs. and I'm paying $55+/ month. for 200 ch.
    The problem I've found w/ DTV is, during the BIBLICAL type rain we get down south, you will lose the feed. I imagine the same for SNOW?

I pay the same.. no HD channels.. but I just got an email that says they are raising their rates soon.

plus of those 200 channels how many of them do you actually like or watch? I could have 500 channels, you can only watch so much TV.. and if there are 30 different channels trying to sell you pantyhose.. well you get the point. :eek: :confused:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jephdood
    jephdood Posts: 1,671
    edited February 2008
    I hate Comcast with a passion. But I'd have a full-on seizure losing my signal with the friggin' weather. That's unacceptable.

So my butt hurts, but I stick with Comcast.
    "I did not slap you. I high-fived your face."
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited February 2008
    No doubt that Directv has the MOST HD channels available right now. They will also be adding more throughout the year (assuming that their March satellite launch happens without any problems).

There is always a debate about picture quality, but I can say for sure that the newest MPEG4 channels are very, very crisp, sharp, and artifact free. HD Locals over satellite are also very clean and to me, look just as good as my OTA HD feeds.

Pricewise, DirecTV is cheaper than Comcast (or Time Warner or Charter) on a monthly basis if you compare similar packages (Digital Preferred w/HDDVR -vs- Choice Plus w/HDDVR). Of course, this can vary with different promotional rates, etc.

To give you an idea, Directv's optimal package for HD is called Plus HD DVR and its $69.99 and you can add another small package of HD channels (HD extra pack) for $5. So, for $75, you get DVR service, HD service, and about 250+ channels. I get an extra $10 off for being a Bellsouth (now ATT customer). I'm not sure if this promo is still available or not. My current bill is $78 for Plus HDDVR, HBO, and 1 extra receiver. In my area, a similar package from Comcast ends up being over $100.

The weather related outages from Directv are greatly over exaggerated. I've had their service more than 3 years and have rarely had service outages. When it does happen, its usually only for about 5 minutes, during the HEAVIEST downpours, the kind when you should be taking shelter anyway. My receivers have OTA tuners as well to pick up the local channels, and I have them hooked to an antenna. I've never lost service of my locals due to weather.

I did have one time when a heavy, wet snow built up on the dish and the signal started to come in and out. I just brushed it off and things were back to normal.

I remember back when I did have cable, and I had outages every time a bad storm came through and knocked down a few lines. Those outages usually lasted for many hours and sometimes stretched into days.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2008
    Get FIOS! (if it's available)
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Frank840
    Frank840 Posts: 262
    edited February 2008
    what the heck i thought Direct T.v had something going on with verizon when did they come out with their own cable service ???
    - This your Bush?
    Pioneer Elite Sc-25
    Polk Lsic,15's,9's, PSW1000
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    I had Comcast for over 4 years and when I moved into Ringgold I couldnt get it so I had to go with satelite so after some shopping around I actually went with Dish Network. They have (or had at the time) the most HD channels and the cheapest packages. Works for me. They also have a dual DVR receiver that can run 2 sets independently of each other without having to have 2 receivers but Im sure DirecTv has something similar.

As for outages, we've had one in a month but it was the night of all those tornadoes here in the south.

I actually loved Comcast and their internet is BLAZING! 100 times faster than my current DSL for the same price! Literally! I have to pay $30 for internet and $20 for phone that we dont use to get 40 kbps speed. With Comcast and $50 I had 400!!!!! No kidding!

So bottom line for me is that there really isnt a difference between sat and Comcast. Sat is a little cheaper tho but Comcast doesnt have outages. For interet, there is no comparison. Comcast rules!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2008
    I have Directv with HD now. I've been told it's better than Comcast, I just know it was cheaper when I went with them. I just went HD, 7 meg dsl, and had them added to my phone bill, so everything is on one bill.

My 7 meg dsl is consistently faster (I check) than my Comcast internet was, and it's cheaper. also, now I don't have to pay for their BS analog basic service just to have internet, when I get local channels in HD with Directv anyway.

I also get a nice discount on everything being a Qwest employee.:D
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.