My new $52.11 speakers sound awesome.

Options
gidrah
gidrah Posts: 3,049
edited December 2002 in Speakers
In a word WOW!!!

I picked up some 4" full-range speakers at Radio Shack awile back. They were close-out and I think I paid all of $6 for the pair. I was (and still am) planning to build some nice rear-loaded horns for them. Well I don't have the tools, knowledge, space or time right now. I do have a hacksaw and a screwdriver. Below is a link to a pair that I pretty much copied. Mine are white and the front baffle is a 4" closet flange. I currently have them just dry fitted with the wire going in through the rear port. In the future I may put a wooden baffle on the flange and put some terminals on the back, but this would double the time spent and put me over budget. :lol:

I am currently using them in conjunction with my Yamaha sub as they only go down to around 70Hz. I have NEVER heard imaging or vocals sound this good in my house. I've tried a couple of diffent discs and giggled repeatedly. Classical and acoustic jazz never sounded this good.

Maybe if I'm a good boy there'll be a pair of tube amps for these puppies in my stocking this year.

http://www.multimedia-associates.com/myhifisite/eric.html
Make it Funky! :)
Post edited by gidrah on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Looking good Gidrah, your 'care' package should be in route Friday with more goodies.

PS, check out the new PE flyer, LOTS of FR drivers CHEAP. You see the Tag Bands yet?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Yeah there's plenty of talk about them. I'll wait for further reviews and for some more experienced people to do all the math and plans.

I hear PE has Onkyo full-rangers.

I found this link of somebody that built a pair using the $.95 PE jobbies. You should try it. I wouldn't use acrylic though.

Actually, if I were you I'd be running out and getting $46.11 worth of PVC and build some of these. They really are amazing.
  • audionutt
    audionutt Posts: 97
    edited November 2002
    Options
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Options
    Mark, have you done a Zobel yet? You think they image now, smooth out that impedance curve a bit and take another listen.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    Options
    audionutt: Yeah, I've been to that site a few times. The crystal ball says there might be a t-line sub in my future.

Russ: No Zobel yet. The guy that I copied from says he didn't use any. When I build the Buschorn, I'll need some though. I may use the zobel design from that and try it on these, but not anytime soon.
  • audionutt
    edited November 2002
    Options
    I have been looking at that site for a long time.Hell with several cheap drivers you can dry fit several different kind of speakers.
    you can't go wrong.

joe
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    Options
    Uh oh, they even do HT. It's time to move some stuff around. The 3-ways stacked on the Monitor 10Bs is going to the 2ch/spare equipment room.
  • audionutt
    edited December 2002
    Options
    might just have to make a trip to radio shack and lowes today to see what i can come up with.

joe
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    Options
    If you can, get the 40-1354. These are also close-out and might be all gone. I'm using the 40-1197.

If there's 10, buy all 10. I'll buy any leftovers you have. MMMMmmm a crossover-less 5.1 system.
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I don't know if the pipe dimensions would be the same or not, but I'd do it the same.

Those will definately handle more power than mine.
  • audionutt
    edited December 2002
    Options
    well radio shack just opened up and im off to there and lowes ill let ya all know what i come up with later today. thanks gidrah for the insperation.

joe
  • gidrah
    edited December 2002
    Options
    You'll need:
    2 3" closet flanges
    2 3" Ts with a 2" out (I don't know it's name, but look at the picture)
    2 3" to 4" 90degree elbows
    2 4" spigot fit flanges
    1 10' length of 3" pipe
    16 all purpose screws about 1/2" in length
    2 scraps of wood for the base

I've gotta go. If you need help when you get home, let me know.
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited December 2002
    Options
    I've got all kinds of that black pipe running through my crawl space just under the floor. I think I'll take my hack saw to a couple 4' sections of it and try this out.
    I'm all over this like brown on a ****.
    Thanks!

Give War A Chance