Need help for good system ideas

Sherardp
Sherardp Posts: 8,038
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I posted in the sub section also but Im going to need some ideas for electronics. The install will be going in a Cadillac Escalade, thinking of MB Quart components for the door speakers, Alpine 9887 Headunit, JL Audio 1000/1 sub amp, (need input on subs), not going to do TVs, etc. Just going after a nice audio system to get that Bose setup out of there, any other recommendations or thoughts on this would help out
Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
Post edited by Sherardp on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2008
    Looks pretty solid to me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Sherardp
    edited February 2008
    I changed a few things in my purchase, I ended up going with CDT components, any of you guys hear of these. I also decided to go with the Hifonics 2607D over the JL Audio since I will be running the Alpine Type R15s down to 1 ohm. Im hoping this will beat the block up. My gear has start to arrive as we speak, 24inch wheels just showed up.

• MacLeod
    edited February 2008
    So youre scrapping MB Quart and JL Audio for CDT and Hifonics? Eeww.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    So youre scrapping MB Quart and JL Audio for CDT and Hifonics? Eeww.

lol...hes right though...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Sherardp
    edited February 2008
    Just wanted to try something different, the JL Audio cant run down to 1 ohm stable. I've read good things on CDT.

Edit: I ordered the MB Quart. Done deal. It should sound pretty good in the Caddie.

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2008
    Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't the Escalade already have a very good stock radio?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't the Escalade already have a very good stock radio?

Stock? No way! The only way stock is ok is if it's that Naim Audio system in a new Bentley.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Sherardp
    edited February 2008
    Escalade came with Bose, Im not a fan of stock. So I went with the MB quart components for both front and back. Replacing the stock HU with the Alpine 9887. I want to keep my 3rd row so I have to figure how to build this box for the 15s. Any ideas on that? A little bling bling, 24inch stings

• Sherardp
    edited March 2008
    should finish up the install tomorrow. One thing for sure, BOSE car speakers are junk, I pulled these out while installing the MB Quart components, back of them says made in Indonesia. I should have got a pic of the plastic subwoofer to show you guys, just total crap.

Box is finished, Alpine Type Rs installed, I ended up going with a vented box, tuned to 32hz. Should be all set tomorrow night after I get off work. Im looking forward to seeing how it all sounds with the Alpine 9887.

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited March 2008
    And I thought Bose was the best ;)
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited March 2008
    their marketing is amazing, and there stuff does sound pretty good for ur everyday avg joe. i have a 3 - 2 - 1 in the family room and it fills the room nicely.

I LOVE that car. have fun
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Sherardp
    edited March 2008
    not the greatest pics, but here are some of the finished install. MB Quart components sound fantastic with the Alpine Type R15s. Sub box is tuned at 32hz, and I must say not only do they hit very hard, they sound very very good. Final list comps, MB Quart PVF216 x2, Alpine Type R, Alpine 9887, Bostwick 4100x, Hifonics 2607D, PAC1 Onstar, simple but sounds sweet.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    Is that home carpet?

Also doesnt look like you have near enough port area.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2008
    A few things I don't understand.

Why do Polkies go for other brands of car speakers when Polk has one of the best sets of speakers on the market today in the SR Series?

Why does everyone bag on Hifonics so much. Has anyone heard anything from them lately? Most of the "evidence" that gets furnished to back up the baggin' is very old. Maybe you can find better stuff for competition but, for the average guy lookin' for tunes in the ride, they are hard to beat with the numbers they put up at the pricepoint they sell at.

What value is there in defending Bose at all?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Sherardp
    edited March 2008
    I definitely agree with you, Hifonics stuff is very good for the pricepoint. I wasnt looking to go way over the top. Just something nice, great sound, and nice deep bass. As for the box, its your typical audio enclosure carpet. Port area is just fine, measurements used from other boxes I seen online, and confirmed through alpine to give me 32hz.

Im happy, but thanks for the comments.

• MacLeod
    edited March 2008
    Nice setup dude. Congrats!

Those ports do look a little slim to me, but if Alpine says theyre right, Id be ok with that. Those guys probably know a little more than we do. :D

Ill give Sherardp a pass on not using Polk car gear - he's got over $3000 in Polk home speakers (actually its the exact setup I would have were I to win the lottery this weekend). So I say he's paid his dues. ;)

About Hifonics - I dunno John, I know they used to be the cats pajamas but I just dont trust their build quality nowadays. Ive read 2 magazine reviews over the last few years and in both of them, the amp died on the test bench and a new one had to be sent out. The last review I say of a Hifonics Class D amp last year sometime, it fell well short of its rated power. Ive also seen more than a few in the SPL lanes go **** up. I just feel that for the same money you could get much better built and more powerful gear.