Car sub hook up

hotrodfeguy
hotrodfeguy Posts: 4
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a old sub and am hooking it up in my car. Has the following connections 12V/REM/GND Now I understand the 12V and the ground but what is the REM ? Is it switched power? Thanks for the help.
P.S. I have Polk Audio Bookshelf speakers in the back of the car already just needed more punch
Post edited by hotrodfeguy on

Comments

• BradimusMaximus
    BradimusMaximus Posts: 60
    edited February 2008
    I hope those bookshelf's are well attached to something. To answer your question REM is for the remote wire. A 12 volt signal to this terminal turns the amplifier on. You hook it up to the remote wire output on your deck, any key switched 12 volt source, or you can wire you own switch in on direct 12 volt. If you wire you own switch you might leave it on and kill your battery..but it does work.
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
    :D
  • hotrodfeguy
    hotrodfeguy Posts: 4
    edited February 2008
    Thank you very much sir :0)
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2008
    I hope those bookshelf's are well attached to something. To answer your question REM is for the remote wire. A 12 volt signal to this terminal turns the amplifier on. You hook it up to the remote wire output on your deck, any key switched 12 volt source, or you can wire you own switch in on direct 12 volt. If you wire you own switch you might leave it on and kill your battery..but it does work.

Did the 'use a switch mounted in the dash' for a friend's system. The battery dies in a few hours flat.
  • BradimusMaximus
    edited February 2008
    I had to have a switch a couple cars ago when the REM output on the clarion deck decided to die. I only killed it once on accident...I tried to double check it was off before I got out.
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124
  • MarcLazarek78
    MarcLazarek78 Posts: 65
    edited February 2008
    aren't you able to go to the fuzebox and find one thats hot only when the key is on?
    SDA SRS 2
    Kenwood M1D
    Sony DAV-HDX265
  • BradimusMaximus
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, thats what I meant when I said key switched 12 volt source.
    Alpine SPX-137R
    Alpine SPR-69LP
    Panasonic CY-PA4003U
    Kenwood KAC-X520
    Polk SR124