Jolida 801 Upgrades

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
I just got off the phone with Jolida. They have recieved my 801 for upgrades and adding left & right outputs for subs. Excellent guys to talk to and they don't try and push a BIG sales job on you.

The upgrade consists of several caps and resistors as well as any other parts they find to be marginal in performance. Tweak, tune and make all adjustments nessesary to bring the old boy back up to new or better. They tell me the improvements will be noticable out of the box. I'll have a little added gain in my volume. Where I may have been listening at a 10:00 o'clock position before, 9:00 will be the selected position for the same volume. Bass response will be improved, but the mids and uppers will have a very dynamic improvement. This comes at a cost of $200.

They are adding a subwoofer output for both left and right channels so I can employ a sub per channel. Should I decide to go with a single sub I can simply use a "Y" adapter without compromising the separation of the main speaker outputs. This is done at a cost of $75.00

I look forward to getting this back and giving it a whirl. The timing should work pretty good too. I'll be out of town working for a week or so and giving my ears a rest from the system that I use the Jolida. A fresh set of ears for a fresh amp back from rehab.

Chuck
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    My Jolida is modded with the subwoofer output as well. Although I don't own any subwoofers.....
  • Systems
    edited February 2008
    hey dude...shoot me a PM for the albums....LOL
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    Shoot i didnt even realize I had a PM since I don't get email notifications anymore.

Gimme a few, lemme run through each one quick.

Sorry about that!
  • Systems
    edited February 2008
    cool
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2008
    Cool. What kind of caps and resistors are they putting in?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Systems
    edited February 2008
    Early they tell me these are some jolida designed and comissioned to have built for them and them alone. I'm not sure what they are or the values but they garrantee me I will be impressed or my money back...well maybe not my money back but I can call them bad names if I don't like the upgrade. When it gets back I'll take a look and snap some pics...hell drop by Marietta and have a look for yourself sometime.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited February 2008
    I just bought a Jolida Sj 302a and I am thinking of doing about $200.00 dollars worth of mods. I was going to change some caps and diodes to soncicaps and fairchild diodes and defeat the balance control and add a Alps volume pot. I wonder which would sound better? I'll be interested to hear your impressions when you get it back. When do you get it back?
  • Systems
    edited February 2008
    I would expect to get it back in the next 2 weeks or so. I asked about using some other parts and they explained that they have tested many different parts for the upgrades and have received many units back for repairs after several different parts have been installed. What they have commissioned seems to be the best combination so far. I'll update you as soon as I get a chance to listen.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2008
    Thanks! I might just end up sending it Jolida and letting them do there thing. Frankly every time I listen to my Jolida I am blown away. I have never been happier with a piece of equipment EVER!. If they can make it sound even better for $200.00 I'm in. I would also like the comfort of knowing they are doing it. Does that $200.00 include shipping too and from? Or just labor?
  • Systems
    edited February 2008
    My total cost for the work to be done excluding shipping (I have my own UPS account and mailed a return shipping label) is $375. I had an issue with a bias pot (v6) and was told I had a cracked circuit board and they are giving me that for free (what a deal from these guys). If you don't have the orginal box for shipping give a call there and have him mail you one for shipping. I think I paid $45 or maybe $60 for a killer double box with strong foam isolation corner supports inside to protect the inside box. Well worth it in my opinion and I'm a stickler for original boxes for my stuff.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nikolas812
    edited February 2008
    I might give them a call tomorrow and get some prices. I will a least go ahead and have them send me a box. I wonder if they can change my pre amp to accept 12ax7's. I still have the old 6dj8's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited February 2008
    Did you talk with Michael Allen? If so, did he tell you that you could put a plant in front of it?
    Early they tell me these are some jolida designed and comissioned to have built for them and them alone.

Take, with a grain of salt, what they say. It wasn't that long ago that they were saying any upgrades would degrade from the original designs and they weren't into mods, period. Funny, how things change, eh?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    edited February 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    Did you talk with Michael Allen? If so, did he tell you that you could put a plant in front of it?

And what does this mean?

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2008

Take, with a grain of salt, what they say. It wasn't that long ago that they were saying any upgrades would degrade from the original designs and they weren't into mods, period. Funny, how things change, eh?

Room Treatment;):confused:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Systems
    edited February 2008
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited February 2008
    I was over there one day with 2 forum brohams getting our listen on. He's talking about a pair of speakers that we had been listening to when he says something about being able to put a plant in front of them. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, he makes very nice gear, but he's lacking social skills.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BaggedLancer
    edited February 2008
    I thought putting plants in front of speakers act as a filter to remove the harshness of SL2000 tweeters? :rolleyes:
  • Systems
    edited February 2008
    ok..I see.....anyways....I kinda like the looks of my 801 with the black and polished brass. But I know looks don't mean a damn thing. But I do like the way it looks.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • analog97
    analog97 Posts: 328
    edited February 2008
    Did you talk with Michael Allen?

No, but I have sent him 6 e-mails questioning Jolida's published specifications for their phono pre-amp. Michael Allen wrote to me that the pre-amp puts out 95db gain. Now, after serious cajoling, he is checking with the "engineer". At present, I am from Missouri on anything he says or Jolida publishes. :(:(
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2008
    Take, with a grain of salt, what they say.

I'll have to agree on this one. The response you were given about the caps and resistors sounds like marketing BS. If it's not too late, consider buying your own caps and resistors, and have them install it. That way, you'll know what you're getting. When I had my 502A, I had a tech install Sonicaps that I purchased, and there was a distinct improvement in sound.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."