Gauge...why is smaller...bigger?

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
Nails, brads, shotguns, wire...why is a smaller gauge bigger in size? I never really thought about it before. Just one of things 'it just is,' but one of my teachers mentioned it and I started to wonder...anyone know?
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2008
    This help?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    This seemingly-counterintuitive numbering is derived from the fact that the gauge number is related to the number of drawing operations that must be used to produce a given gauge of wire; very fine wire (for example, 30 gauge) requires far more passes through the drawing dies than does 0 gauge wire.

Note that for gauges 5 through about 14, the wire gauge is effectively the number of bare solid wires that, when placed side by side, span 1 inch. That is, 8 gauge is about 1/8 inches in diameter.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2008
    For shotgun:

"The gauge or bore of the inside diameter of a barrel corresponds with the number of identical solid spheres that can be made from a pound of lead."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_(bore_diameter)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2008
    way in the days when I had my ears pierced, it worked the same way. I had stainless steel hoops made. I started with 14,then 12 finally 10 awg they were fat and heavy. But it confused me as well at first when talking size.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    No pics Willow? :)
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • 95Honda
    95Honda Posts: 77
    edited February 2008
    Gauges always extend below and above a reference point set at one time. Some times those points were made so long ago, they just don't make sense any more...

In Europe, they use mm2 (square millimeters) of the cross-section for wire... Makes alot more sense....

Caliber makes much more sense than Gauge, and is easier to relate with... But only the .410 has gained popularity as a shotgun "Caliber".....
    www.forceaudio.com .... We cut through the BS.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited February 2008
    We design a lot of sheet metal parts and the gauge system really makes it a pain. 14 gauge steel does not equal 14 gauge Aluminum does not equal 14 gauge galvanized... $#%&@# This all goes back to the 1800's when the human brain was still part caveman :)

I keep this web page at the top of my favorites.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Willow
    edited February 2008
    Ron-P wrote: »
    No pics Willow? :)

I'll see if I can find some, when my wife gets home from work, I'll ask her where they might be.
  • Willow
    edited February 2008
    this is me brushing my teeth off the side of the sailboat. I had both ears pierced with the same rings. You know, I will have to confirm, but they might even be 8awg.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited February 2008
    95Honda wrote: »
    Gauges always extend below and above a reference point set at one time. Some times those points were made so long ago, they just don't make sense any more...

In Europe, they use mm2 (square millimeters) of the cross-section for wire... Makes alot more sense....

Caliber makes much more sense than Gauge, and is easier to relate with... But only the .410 has gained popularity as a shotgun "Caliber".....

Above 4/0 we use circular mills in the power industry. 1000MCM equals 1 million circular mills.

As for firearms, how about a 4 gauge Rhoda black powder rifle!

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d